• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap and whatnot...

MarioWario

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 86 pioneer from my buddy and it has the 2.5, 4cyl in it.
Would a 4.0, 6 cyl bolt right in???
And i need new cv joints for the front axle, wheres a good place to get some at???

MarioWario said:
I just bought a 86 pioneer from my buddy and it has the 2.5, 4cyl in it.
Would a 4.0, 6 cyl bolt right in???
And i need new cv joints for the front axle, wheres a good place to get some at???

The 4.0 has a different bolt pattern than the 2.5 so no it will not work. Check your local junkyards for some u-joint type axleshafts to replace the cv style shafts.

The 84-86 models have a different firewall design that will not allow the extra length of the 4.0L I-6 Engine.

Your best bet would be a 4.3 or similar (JUST NOT THE 2.8 Liter) V6 or V8 from GM....

poorboy_616 said:
The 84-86 models have a different firewall design that will not allow the extra length of the 4.0L I-6 Engine.

Your best bet would be a 4.3 or similar (JUST NOT THE 2.8 Liter) V6 or V8 from GM....
would a 4.3 v6 just bolt in???
im new to this stuff so i really dont know to much about jeeps n stuff...

the 4.3 is a GM V6. you can find them in S10's, S15's, Jimmy's, Blazer's etc. theyre plentiful at the junkyard. they will bolt up to your tranny.

The 4.3L V6 uses the same mounting setup as the small block Chevvy V8 - while it's not a "drop-in and go" or "plug-and-pray," it's doable - you just have to adapt the mounting.

It would probably be easier for you to find a donor drivetrain using a 3.1L or 3.4L V6 (best bets would be the S-10/S-15 truck or F-body, but some FWD vehicles got blocks that could go either way - check for a starter mounting pad on the backside of the engine block, as mounted. F-body = Camaro/Firebird.)

The 2.8L was underpowered from the factory (the AMC four makes more power, and more useful power!) and leaks like a seive. I had one in a 1985 Cavalier for two and a half years - never had to change the oil. Just change the filter every two months, and keep the oil topped off. I put a lot of work into trying to seal that damned engine... The 3.1L was a much better engine (had one in a 1992 Corsica) and didn't leak.

The 1984-1986XJ was designed to take either the 2.46L four or the 2.8L V6 - and the 3.1L/3.4L V6 are externally similar to the 2.8L anyhow. So, all the parts are pretty much "off-the-shelf."

You can also go nuts and swap in a V8 (Advance Adapters makes a mounting kit for the Small Block Chevvy,) but the inline would be too much work. It's doable - but the front clip was redesigned to accommodate the inline six for 1987 - firewall massaged, radiator support moved forward, ... It can be done - but it sounds like you're a neophyte yet, and I don't want you to get discouraged by a project that looks impossible at first without having a chance to build up some skill first.

The V6-60 (3.1L/3.4L) would be the easiest swap, followed by the V8/V6-90 (4.3L/SBC). But, there's really nothing wrong with the AMC four, you may as well keep that! The only real issue I have with the V6-60 is that they tend to be "high-strung" engines, meaning that you usually have to wind them up pretty good to start making useful power, while the AMC four gets you moving handily right off idle.

5-90 said:
The 4.3L V6 uses the same mounting setup as the small block Chevvy V8 - while it's not a "drop-in and go" or "plug-and-pray," it's doable - you just have to adapt the mounting.

It would probably be easier for you to find a donor drivetrain using a 3.1L or 3.4L V6 (best bets would be the S-10/S-15 truck or F-body, but some FWD vehicles got blocks that could go either way - check for a starter mounting pad on the backside of the engine block, as mounted. F-body = Camaro/Firebird.)

The 2.8L was underpowered from the factory (the AMC four makes more power, and more useful power!) and leaks like a seive. I had one in a 1985 Cavalier for two and a half years - never had to change the oil. Just change the filter every two months, and keep the oil topped off. I put a lot of work into trying to seal that damned engine... The 3.1L was a much better engine (had one in a 1992 Corsica) and didn't leak.

The 1984-1986XJ was designed to take either the 2.46L four or the 2.8L V6 - and the 3.1L/3.4L V6 are externally similar to the 2.8L anyhow. So, all the parts are pretty much "off-the-shelf."

You can also go nuts and swap in a V8 (Advance Adapters makes a mounting kit for the Small Block Chevvy,) but the inline would be too much work. It's doable - but the front clip was redesigned to accommodate the inline six for 1987 - firewall massaged, radiator support moved forward, ... It can be done - but it sounds like you're a neophyte yet, and I don't want you to get discouraged by a project that looks impossible at first without having a chance to build up some skill first.

The V6-60 (3.1L/3.4L) would be the easiest swap, followed by the V8/V6-90 (4.3L/SBC). But, there's really nothing wrong with the AMC four, you may as well keep that! The only real issue I have with the V6-60 is that they tend to be "high-strung" engines, meaning that you usually have to wind them up pretty good to start making useful power, while the AMC four gets you moving handily right off idle.
alright thanks guys...
and whats a "V6-60 (3.1L/3.4L)" from???
i wouldnt mind my 2.5 thats in there except its got 180,000+ miles on it and and leaking from everywhere.

MarioWario said:
alright thanks guys...
and whats a "V6-60 (3.1L/3.4L)" from???
i wouldnt mind my 2.5 thats in there except its got 180,000+ miles on it and and leaking from everywhere.

Ah - seal it up and get driving again - you're probably in for the valve cover gasket, oil sump gasket, front/rear main seals. Do that in a day.

"V6-60" means "V6 engine, 60-degree angle between cylinder banks." It's a GM engine family. There is a difference between FWD and RWD/4WD/AWD versions - it concerns which side of the engine block the starter mounts on. As I probably mentioned, you'll want a RWD/4WD/AWD version or a GSR version, since that will have the starter motor mounting on the correct (passenger) side of the engine block as mounted in the vehicle. However, some FWD vehicles got a GSR replacement engine, which has starter motor mounting pads on both sides of the block - take a quick look under potential FWD donors, and look for a starter motor mounting pad on the back side of the engine block as mounted in the vehicle (it will not have anything on it - FWD starters are usually on the front of the engine block as mounted.) RWD applications include the S-10/S-15 and F-body.

The 4.3L is derived from the old 229/231/3.8/3800 V6 family, and is a small block V8 with two cylinders removed and a 90-degree angle between cylinder banks - which doesn't mount like the 60-degree V6. Since it's SBC-derived, it mounts like a small block V8 - it can be done (and probably easier than wedging a 4.0 in there!) but it's still going to be more work than a later 60-degree V6.

FWD = Front Wheel Drive
RWD = Rear Wheel Drive
AWD = All Wheel Drive
4WD = Four Wheel Drive
SBC = Small Block Chevrolet (V8) engine family, 265-400ci
S-10/S-15 = Compact Pickup truck/Blazer/Jimmy vehicle series.
F-body = Camaro & Firebird
GSR = Goodwrench Service Replacement. Engine Series used for warranty replacements, meant to be more "universal" than production engines

Gah - did I miss any?

5-90 said:
Ah - seal it up and get driving again - you're probably in for the valve cover gasket, oil sump gasket, front/rear main seals. Do that in a day.

"V6-60" means "V6 engine, 60-degree angle between cylinder banks." It's a GM engine family. There is a difference between FWD and RWD/4WD/AWD versions - it concerns which side of the engine block the starter mounts on. As I probably mentioned, you'll want a RWD/4WD/AWD version or a GSR version, since that will have the starter motor mounting on the correct (passenger) side of the engine block as mounted in the vehicle. However, some FWD vehicles got a GSR replacement engine, which has starter motor mounting pads on both sides of the block - take a quick look under potential FWD donors, and look for a starter motor mounting pad on the back side of the engine block as mounted in the vehicle (it will not have anything on it - FWD starters are usually on the front of the engine block as mounted.) RWD applications include the S-10/S-15 and F-body.

The 4.3L is derived from the old 229/231/3.8/3800 V6 family, and is a small block V8 with two cylinders removed and a 90-degree angle between cylinder banks - which doesn't mount like the 60-degree V6. Since it's SBC-derived, it mounts like a small block V8 - it can be done (and probably easier than wedging a 4.0 in there!) but it's still going to be more work than a later 60-degree V6.

FWD = Front Wheel Drive
RWD = Rear Wheel Drive
AWD = All Wheel Drive
4WD = Four Wheel Drive
SBC = Small Block Chevrolet (V8) engine family, 265-400ci
S-10/S-15 = Compact Pickup truck/Blazer/Jimmy vehicle series.
F-body = Camaro & Firebird
GSR = Goodwrench Service Replacement. Engine Series used for warranty replacements, meant to be more "universal" than production engines

Gah - did I miss any?
alright...
i think the leak is coming from by/or the oil pan from what i saw...
so pretty much a 4.3, S-10 motor that RWD or 4WD would be best???

MarioWario said:
alright...
i think the leak is coming from by/or the oil pan from what i saw...
so pretty much a 4.3, S-10 motor that RWD or 4WD would be best???

Read again - if you've got your heart set on a V6 swap, get the 3.1L or 3.4L. That can already be mounted - but you'll still have to carry the electronics over as well...

The 4.3L will work, and is usually RWD anyhow (that would be S-10/S-15, Astro/Safari van, and some RWD passenger cars,) but you'll have to get or fabricate the mount cradle to accommodate the SBC/V6-90 block, since it's different from the AMC four or the V6-60. The 4.3 will probably be easier than the SBC (305/350/400 being most commonly available in salvage, and you can build a 383ci stroker with a 350 block +.030" and a 400ci crankshaft!) since it's shorter, but the SBChevvy is also certainly possible.

The V6-60 swap will probably also be less fabrication work - since most 3.1/3.4 you'll find in 4WD S-10 applications (easiest donor) will come already paired with the THM700R4 and probably the NP231 - which is what the 2.8L came with in the XJ, as I recall (less mechanical work.) Just avoid the earlier (to 1990 or so) THM700R4 - they're scrap. I don't recall what the flaw was, but it's fatal and can't be fixed without an overhaul and a donor. Get a later one, and go that route - you'll need to go with a later unit to get the 3.1L/3.4L anyhow.

5-90 said:
Read again - if you've got your heart set on a V6 swap, get the 3.1L or 3.4L. That can already be mounted - but you'll still have to carry the electronics over as well...

The 4.3L will work, and is usually RWD anyhow (that would be S-10/S-15, Astro/Safari van, and some RWD passenger cars,) but you'll have to get or fabricate the mount cradle to accommodate the SBC/V6-90 block, since it's different from the AMC four or the V6-60. The 4.3 will probably be easier than the SBC (305/350/400 being most commonly available in salvage, and you can build a 383ci stroker with a 350 block +.030" and a 400ci crankshaft!) since it's shorter, but the SBChevvy is also certainly possible.

The V6-60 swap will probably also be less fabrication work - since most 3.1/3.4 you'll find in 4WD S-10 applications (easiest donor) will come already paired with the THM700R4 and probably the NP231 - which is what the 2.8L came with in the XJ, as I recall (less mechanical work.) Just avoid the earlier (to 1990 or so) THM700R4 - they're scrap. I don't recall what the flaw was, but it's fatal and can't be fixed without an overhaul and a donor. Get a later one, and go that route - you'll need to go with a later unit to get the 3.1L/3.4L anyhow.
hmmm alright hell ya man!!!
thanks!
i got a buddy who went to mechnics school for like 8 months im pretty sure he can help me from here...

Ive got an 86 that that I put a 4.3 in its actually really easy. get the advance adaprors mtr mounts that taakes alot of the geuss work out than use an eng trans transfer out of an s10 the wiring for the tbi injection is easy or swap a cab on it find an 85 astro and they came with a factory 4 barrel manifold on the 4.3. feel free to msg me with any questions

Stoveguy what kind of MPG do you get with your 4.3 engine? I'm a big fan of the 4.3 due to their reliability and gas milage for a bigger V-6.

stoveguy said:
Ive got an 86 that that I put a 4.3 in its actually really easy. get the advance adaprors mtr mounts that taakes alot of the geuss work out than use an eng trans transfer out of an s10 the wiring for the tbi injection is easy or swap a cab on it find an 85 astro and they came with a factory 4 barrel manifold on the 4.3. feel free to msg me with any questions

alright thanks man!

for some reason lately my xj wont go into gear???
its got a fairly new clutch in it too.
i really dont know what it could be, i checked the master cylinder, all the lines and everything seems to be alright with it...
does anyone know what can be up with it???

Back