• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A and B pillar unibody crack repair

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to save my xj.

I remember seeing some pictures of how somebody reinforced the a pillar area. The search didn't help me.

This jeep has never had the body significantly hit anything since ive owned it.

I would just like to see how some people repaired this kind of damage so i can get an idea of what I have to do.
heres some pics...

252458_10150202299402301_667557300_7630471_2683526_n.jpg

254404_10150202299517301_667557300_7630472_1089982_n.jpg

252570_10150202299177301_667557300_7630468_1469094_n.jpg

254481_514326141394_226300669_267028_7705812_n.jpg

249700_514326640394_226300669_267035_1223394_n.jpg

254580_514324150384_226300669_266893_6328938_n.jpg

I plan on replacing the b pillars.

The "frame" is currently plated from the front to rear crossmember.

If i can make this repair come out halfway decent a cage will be added.

Kinda toying with the idea of making some permanent half doors as well. all depends on if i have the skills to fix this to my liking lol.

May I ask what you did to make that happen?? Looks like your rockers are boxed, but it still destroyed the B pillar?

May I ask what you did to make that happen?? Looks like your rockers are boxed, but it still destroyed the B pillar?

if you start with a tin can, and weld a piece of steel to the bottom and start smashing it, the tin can will still break... the non-reinforced parts of the body simply flexed away from the reinforced parts. this is why tied-in cages are necessary for abused rigs.

I would like to save my xj.

This jeep has never had the body significantly hit anything since ive owned it.

im thinking this statement can not be absolutely true. or maybe he hasnt owned it that long and the prior owner did the damage. i see alot of mangled sheet metal there. i doubt highway bugs did that.

a fix? if you have to absolutely keep this chassis, id say get another one and start cutting out parts and swaping them over. just be prepared for ALOT of welding and fabricating. otherwise, get another jeep and swap all your parts over. your chassis is week as hell with all that damage, and will continue to fall apart.

im thinking this statement can not be absolutely true. or maybe he hasnt owned it that long and the prior owner did the damage. i see alot of mangled sheet metal there. i doubt highway bugs did that.

a fix? if you have to absolutely keep this chassis, id say get another one and start cutting out parts and swaping them over. just be prepared for ALOT of welding and fabricating. otherwise, get another jeep and swap all your parts over. your chassis is week as hell with all that damage, and will continue to fall apart.

i have hit the rockers on stuff, and hit the bumpers. but never a collision that visibly bent or damaged something.

i have a donor chassis i will be cutting what i can out of it today. i feel that repairing this will be less work than completely plating another frame and swapping everything over.

and This rig has some sentimental value to me. this is my third xj I built up. i have always just swapped everything over to a new rig.

IMHO your body is already long past the point of repairability. It would require massive work to properly repair the damage. I would suggest installing a well designed roll cage and tying the body to the cage or swap bodys and install a cage.

That roof line doesn't even look straight. I'd say that body is slowly bending in half. Check for cracks in the unibody rail underneath, I'm pretty certain you'll find more.

You didn't read the plated unibody part, did you? :D

IMHO your body is already long past the point of repairability. It would require massive work to properly repair the damage. I would suggest installing a well designed roll cage and tying the body to the cage or swap bodys and install a cage.

X2

I blame male pattern blindness. :)

And I meant to say cracking / lifting between the body / pan and the rail. <sure>

:roflmao: excuses are like.....well you know the rest! :D

You took the doors off.. thats why its taco-ing.. :cheers:

I keep hearing this.But a little taco sauce and you're good to go.I got body cancer all the way around my A pillars/windsheild.She makes all kinds of pops now.LOL.
Plus i run with half doors,tube doors,full doors and no doors.

ive seen damage like this repaired in the past. looking for how they have done it.

i'm going to strip the interior and i will see if any more cracks arise. i have the usual cracks in the tranny/driveshaft hump. and towards the rear bumpstops (been plated over). and of course the steering box/trackbar area which have been plated. but those have no effect on the area im concerned about

i say find someone with a porta power and bend shit back, the plate the cracked areas with 16 gauge, should suffice for a bit longer

Ouch man, that sucks.

Aside from cutting out/replacing all the bent stuff, the only way you're going to get that fixed is with a portapower and someone who REALLY knows what they're doing...and that's going to cost a lot more than plating a new chassis, and have a much worse final result!

I guess my other suggestion would be to chop the top, cage it, and do something creative with it. If this is chassis #3 it sounds like you're about due for a trail rig.

Back