• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buckin Tattoos. ink by Buck.

^ agreed me and my dad had a discussion about it the other day and the only comment we could give was " Nice goldfish"

There are 2 basic meanings for the koi tattoo.
1. Strength 2.love
It's not always what the tattoo is. But what it means to the person wearing it.
I was going to write all this out but I just Copy and pasted because there is a lot more to the koi than meets the eye.

KOI TATTOO - Probably surprising to many westerners is the large of amount of ancient myth that surrounds these beautiful fish in the Orient and their elevated status there. Generally known here as the brightly colored fish that are common in public ponds and fountains, carp (koi is Japanese for carp) can be found in colors that include white, yellow, gold, a deep orange, and some are even calico-colored. Particularly beautiful specimens have been known to fetch prices in excess of half-a-million dollars from private collectors who specialize in their breeding and showing. However, the koi is more than just a colorful and collectible fish. It is also one of the most popular and beautiful of Japanese tattoo symbols – a beauty which belies its symbolic meaning. Although Chinese in origin, the carp is now widely celebrated in Japan, particularly for its manly qualities. It is said to climb waterfalls bravely, and, if caught, it lies upon the cutting board awaiting the knife without a quiver, not unlike a samurai (warrior) facing a sword. This theme dates back to ancient China, where a legend tells of how any koi that succeeded in climbing the falls at a point called Dragon Gate (on the Yellow River) would be transformed into a dragon. Based on that legend, it became a symbol of worldly aspiration and advancement. Eventually, the stoic fish came to be associated with so many masculine and positive qualities that it was appropriated for the annual Boys' Day Festival in Japan where even today colorful, streaming koi flags are traditionally displayed for each son in the family. In tattoo imagery, especially in combination with flowing water, it symbolizes much the same: courage, the ability to attain high goals, and overcoming life's difficulties.

A koi fish tattoo with running water symbolizes courage and the ability to attain goals and to overcome life’s difficulties. When the fish is depicted to be swimming upstream, it can symbolize that the person who has got the tattoo, is still struggling with his problem.

On the other hand, if the koi fish tattoo design is depicted swimming downstream, it implies that the person has already overcome his difficulties. Among other koi tattoo meanings, love for the opposite sex or a longing feeling for a specific person is very popular. This love can be described as ‘romantic love’ or ‘passionate love’. In Buddhism, koi represents fearlessness and courage.

Last edited:
Okay. So why is Japanese mythology impt. to westerners? They did lose, after all. :)

Because not everyone is locked into one style of artwork. That's the easiest way to put it. Different people like different things.
I take a new school approach on the koi fish I tattoo.
Even though I put a new school spin on it, it still carries on the japanese history and meaning.

Thanks for the background Cody.

I wonder if there are any people in China running around with tattoos of the mighty Rainbow Trout or the majestic King Salmon?

Thanks for the background Cody.

I wonder if there are any people in China running around with tattoos of the mighty Rainbow Trout or the majestic King Salmon?

Believe it or not, American style tattooing is very popular in china and Japan.
They do a lot of american traditional over seas.
When you are a Tattooer, you try to bring several styles from places all over the world.
I guess it's more of an inspiration type of thing. Americans like their style. They like ours. Lol

Piece I worked on tonight

Skull-candle-ink-pen-freedom
A02EE925-FA19-4DD5-8217-87A01D0EC897-2985-000004BEE93EB218.jpg

A little off topic but the wife brought this home the other day and it made me think of Cody and his shop.

Dunno if you're much of a wine drinker Cody, but this stuff ROCKS with Italian food...... :thumbup:

2013-01-21_20-01-44_650.jpg

2013-01-21_20-02-22_768.jpg

I don't drink. Especially wine. Lol.
Cool bottle though! You should save it for me when you are done with it.
I have been collecting skull bottles at the tattoo shop.
I got a couple. One is vodka and the other is tequila.
Theya re just shooters but still cool bottles

Update.

F5D5533A-9BC4-471B-9547-7EB4DCC382AB-30831-00003C022D8371D3.jpg

Throat piece in progress
1738FCCB-AD96-4A86-9AFA-DAE1E205E61A-30831-00003C012B342613.jpg

0D79B08D-19C2-47EC-BA73-D6E5806DDF6D-30831-00003C00FA5E70EF.jpg

Fun little tattoos.
5BD858F0-AF8F-4019-A398-CDFBD833F7FE-30831-00003C0146D6CF4D.jpg

C024D66E-C291-42E8-BE8E-5C08892616FB-30831-00003C01D70EA57A.jpg

More work on the Colorado piece/ cover up. Added flag and red rocks. all color is healed.
B9511677-3CC9-4F0C-8534-4A60DC2B5173-30831-00003C019A384362.jpg

Color work on Clark's leaves.
6C744AA2-0794-4939-82A3-622EA5C0E2FA-30831-00003C00E5982745.jpg

Jesus tree back piece in progress.
3370406E-1771-4590-9125-92E505117568-30831-00003C021250EC9F.jpg

1st Color session on joes phoenix.
C5CB6B7F-40F3-4FB0-A83A-5DA2BF211864-30831-00003C00BC6E1DDD.jpg

Thanks for looking.

The light sabers are hilarious! :thumbup:

The light sabers are hilarious! :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly, not to mention the detail in them for being so small.

However, Kronik; Do you do house calls or do I have to make it all the way down to the springs and enter a tattoo shop? Cause I hate tattoo shops, don't ask me why, but I've only got one of my several tattoos done at a shop and it was a less than stellar experience. However, I am looking to get some work done, and your work is incredible. Some people in my life have been promising me a new tattoo for over a year so I'm well overdo for some artistic self mutilation. Do you have a flat rate? any special offers for sitting in the chair for X amount of hours for a few Benji's, or is it by piece?

cody's shop is clean and rocks -- come on down for the May M&G and check it out! (and I'm not even a tat dude!)

Thanks man. I will NOT tattoo in a house. I am a professional and that is a BIG no no.
You must come to Buckin tattoo to get tattooed.
I will not risk cross contamination by tattooing outside of my sterile tattoo shop.

I know you said you had a bad experience at a shop but you can ask anyone here. My shop is unlike any other.
I am the only Tattooer at my shop.
You will have to make a trip down to the springs if you want to get tattooed by me.
I charge by the piece. I only charge by hour on tattoos that need fixed or redone.
I have clients that travel from Denver all the time.

Please stop getting tattooed in your house. For your safety, and your families safety. Trust me. Cross contamination is nothing to mess around with.
Spend the extra money and make a trip down here.

Good tattoos are not cheap. Cheap tattoos are not good.

If you want to send me a pm. We can talk more. I kinda want to know why you prefer your house over a sterile tattoo shop.

Don't take offense to this post. I just get sick to my stomach when people don't know the risks of cross contamination and tattooing in a house. This post is more to open your eyes up to the risk. Not to piss you off. Lol

Seriously though. Send me a pm. We can talk about what you want to get, why you don't like shops and ill give you a price over pm. :D:thumbup:

I'm guessing the dude's beard coming together there in a "pie" shape might have been mus-interpreted as different anatomy...

And to illustrate Cody's point, if Jim was sitting on corners in Hong Kong getting tats -- look how he turned out ;)

I'm guessing the dude's beard coming together there in a "pie" shape might have been mus-interpreted as different anatomy...

And to illustrate Cody's point, if Jim was sitting on corners in Hong Kong getting tats -- look how he turned out ;)

True. Lmao. Someone probably trolls and reports the small pictures and doesn't open them to see what they are before doing so. :firedevil

In the 60's even tattooers in America didn't wear gloves. They smoked while tattooing. As an apprentice, if you did something wrong, your hands would be broken or finger smashed. Something to make you unable to tattoo until it was healed. Pretty damn crazy if you ask me. Lol
And fwiw. I would be very hesitant to get tattooed over seas. Even today.

Back