• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ vs. 4Runner

I hopped in my friends 96 4runner today. It doesnt have much room at all. Not compared to my Jeep, even before the brackets. BTW Motorcity, a seat of those ricer pedals from autozone that bolt onto the pedals help alot with size. I wear a 17 and when I was in work boots I could hardly tell where the pedal is. Just get the ones that have the perferations in them. Helps gain traction with muddy shoes as well. Plus if you get the ones that light up... That's gotta be like 10 horses (at least) and some serious street cred with the civic kid down the block.

GoliathJeeper said:
I hopped in my friends 96 4runner today. It doesnt have much room at all. Not compared to my Jeep, even before the brackets. BTW Motorcity, a seat of those ricer pedals from autozone that bolt onto the pedals help alot with size. I wear a 17 and when I was in work boots I could hardly tell where the pedal is. Just get the ones that have the perferations in them. Helps gain traction with muddy shoes as well. Plus if you get the ones that light up... That's gotta be like 10 horses (at least) and some serious street cred with the civic kid down the block.

lol i already got them a few years ago so i could drill my own holes and move the brake peddle a bit to the left, also .... thankfully there is no kid with a civic down the block. No ricers in my neighborhood that i know of, just regualar jap cars, and american iron, and far amout of german sports cars. No "tuners" though thank god.

Size 17 ! where the hell do you buy your shoes at ! lol i think most of the brick and motar stores carry an ocassional 14 and i order some i dont think i have ever seen larger than 16 in a store.

Ukraine Train, call a Toyota dealer, give them the vin# from the 4runner, they had recalls on them.(headgaskets) The recall may have expired, I don't remember. I was a Toyota service advisor in Tucson 4 years ago. Good luck.

Bradlybob said:
Like said before stay away from the 3.0. I got pretty skilled at tearing that friggin thing down to replace burnt valves and head gaskets. But other than the crappy motor the thing was pretty solid.

X2 I use to be a Toyota tech(thats why I drive Jeeps), the 3.0 is a wimp! Get the 22RE, its a much better more durable engine. Don't expect it to keep up with the 4.0 though.

And I too would put one of my 3 stock XJ's against a stock Yota. To be able to go where a XJ would go with the stock Runner and have the same level of confidence, you will have to sink some $ into a few mods. First off would be a SAS, Its not cheap. I'm helping one of our local wheelers swap out his IFS for a SAS, he is at 2k on the front end alone and no locker. Thats just the Trailgear kit and a junkyard front end with new bearings and no labor expenses.

I like my cheap Heep.

motorcityxj said:
[Size 17 ! where the hell do you buy your shoes at ! lol i think most of the brick and motar stores carry an ocassional 14 and i order some i dont think i have ever seen larger than 16 in a store.

Internet. Big & Tall. Work boots special order through Doc Martin or Justin. (Yea. I work in Doc's.) They last a lonnnng time. Skate shoes are the hardest to find. Plus a board that's bigger than an 8.75...

I used to have a old 87 manual Cherokee that I bought for $600. I cut the fenders and put 31s on it. I went wheeling with my buddy and his 84 $4000 22r 4runner stock with 31s on it. It was no comparison at all. I bet I coulda beat a lifted 33ed and rear locked 4runner.
-Patrick:moon:

Perhaps, I bet the Camry could smoke that van......it's damn peppy. Even the 4cyls are, but the 6 cyl is even better.....it's a 2003 too, not the older 3.0 V6 they were talking about (I don't think it's the same anyway, I don't have much knowledge of Toyota except they say things are fine when they aren't....like the battery that was corroding/leaking and they told us it was fine......and then a week or so after the 3 year warranty expired it died completely, wouldn't hold a charge.....lol!)

Blaine B. said:
Perhaps, I bet the Camry could smoke that van......it's damn peppy. Even the 4cyls are, but the 6 cyl is even better.....it's a 2003 too, not the older 3.0 V6 they were talking about (I don't think it's the same anyway, I don't have much knowledge of Toyota except they say things are fine when they aren't....like the battery that was corroding/leaking and they told us it was fine......and then a week or so after the 3 year warranty expired it died completely, wouldn't hold a charge.....lol!)

Camry's are slow. The minivan is slow. Sounds like Toyota screwed you on the warranty.

I dunno, that thing has some good acceleration.

Yeah, kinda screwed. Repalced it with a 70.00 AC Delco sealed maint-free battery so it wasn't that bad......but still, maybe not Toyota, but the dealer at least........I mean you could see the battery bracket rusting because the battery was leaking and I had pics of the leak on the floor......and that still wasn't enough proof? What do you want me to do, stick a straw in the battery tray and start drinking whatever liquid is down there? LOL.

I don't know about you guys but I think MY mom's car could whip you all. 2002 Jetta TDI, Stage 3 Chip, engine back skunkworks exhaust, short throw shift kit, K&N FIPK, ball bearing turbo upgrade, larger intercooler, and Stage 2 injectors. My dad did most of it for her for "better gas mileage" It still gets about 50 with all around driving.

Back