• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ V8 conversion

just so you know thw 327 was never avalible in the AMX. if you going to spwnd the money to put a v8 in it go with the amc 360 over the 304. the 360 is one of the best mid size v8 made dispite what every chevy fan seems to belive.

i like the 360 as well, i have 1 in my 85 GW and one in my 71 J-truck, and both have plenty of power, but i am thinking that the 360, as well as awfull heavy, will also tear apart my drive line, and the lack of weight is why i like the XJ platform, i have some extra dana 44's but don't want to go through the work of installing these, new T-case, and tranny.. etc etc...

i was just hoping for a simple solution somewhere that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg....

anyone have an extra I-6 HO they are willing to part with, i have a couple 258's so i will have the parts to frankenstein a stroker

what do you mean by the 327, amc offered this engine in several different vehicles, old wagoneers and J-trucks, the 327 vigilante

Remember that gears are torque multipliers, so lower (numerically higher) gearing results in more torque. Also, it seems that most XJ's came from the factory "economy geared," so going to a taller set of axle gears will not only multiply torque, but push the operating and cruising RPM bands up a bit - which should push you right into the peak torque range of your 4.0!

For durability, I've got an 88 with 4.0 running 230K and I still get six quarts of oil out when I drain it. I've got no complaints! I've not regeared yet (it's still the stock Peugeot gearbox, I think it came with 3.07's) with 31's, and I don't lose much mileage. I ignore the presence of the OD gear range, and that's worth a few MPG as well.

For your info, the most efficient cruising speed is right around the torque peak of the engine. The 4.0 has a nice, flat peak, and I find ideal cruise to be about 3000-3200 RPM (and it will do that all day long. Take it from a frequent cross-country XJ driver...) I don't have any stock 4.0 dyno charts around, but figuring your gearing to run a cruise RPM of 3000-3500 RPM in all ranges is a good guesstimate - but I bet the good Doctor has better numbers than my SWAG figures...

5-90

SWAG = "Scientific Wild-Ass Guess"

so, basically rebuild her and regear it is what i am looking at, for X dollars

or V-8 conversion and start breakin S*&T for X dollars.....

nice to see someone has asked the question i have been meaning to ask for a few months now. I have had simmilar ideas, but i think a more realistic approach. let me know what you think.

1st off, there is absolutly no way to do this type of engine swap without welding new mounts for every major component.

Currently i have a 2000XJ with 80k mi. I would like more power, and a nice mean snarl at idle and loud bark when punched, and so far I havnt heard any XJ's do that. My solution would be a chevy 350 crate motor w/carb (no EFI), and a chevy tranny.

330hp 380lb-ft including everything. $3200
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4228&prmenbr=361

TH-350 auto trans, $650
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=45245&prmenbr=361

JEG's torque converter, $150
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4746&prmenbr=361

Major Parts Total $4,000

Headers, Exhaust, Misc Parts: $1,000

Of course all this could be done cheeper with second hand parts. But this was my original formula. I figure that i can fab an adapter to mate the stock shifter to the new trans assuming the throw is a different lenght. Move/Fab a new crossmember for the tranny/ transfer case. Weld in new engine/trans mounts.

My biggest concerns are with the clearances of the heads/headers and the clearance of the carb/hood. Also mounting all the stock accessories to the motor (both mounts and clearances).

All in all, this formula would result in one Bad Ass XJ. Let me know what you all think.

-Mike

Yes AMC did have a 327 witch dispite what some people think it is not a chevy. whaat i was saying is that the 327 was never avalible in an AMX. Ibetween my father and iI we have 5 AMXs and have been working with them for over 10 years. In all hoestlt your best bet is a good rebuild and gears that in its self is enough to break things. there is a 50 pound diffrence between the amc v8 and the 6cyl IIRC. and the 304 and 360 are the same basic motor just the 360 has bigger valves and bigger bore.. where do you live? if yoh have some 258s you can pick up a 4.0 motor and start a stroker project.

ok, first off i know there will be major welding and fabrications, and if you are going to spend 3,200 on a motor, please contact me first, i have a very very good line on an engine shop that specializes in chevy engines, and i could get you or anyone a very nice engine for a far cheaper price,

my main objective was to put in a stronger engine that would allow me to save my running gear, t-case tranny- axles...

i have been told that a 360 will fit in, and i have seen pics of it, a 360 is a much bulkier engine than a 350 is, so i would have to assume that a 350 will fit in, and even if it doesn't, if you are going to be welding in tranny and engine mounts,. a little fab work on the hood couldn't be all that bad, plus i think an xj would look pretty bad a@@ with a little riser on the hood...

yes red xj, i misread what you wrote, and realized it after i sent it, the 327 i believe was a buick motor wasn't it, the same ones that made the 350 for amc and kaiser??
and i would love to see your collection of AMX's, what an awesome car

i live in maine, and am currently without a garage, so this might be a spring project, or i am going to have to make some room in my warehouse

I'm not planning on spending any money yet, i got another 75,000 miles before i should bother with an engine swap. Also a good option would be to get a used LT1/LS1 motor out of a wrecked firebird/camero/vette. But they require alot more electronics. My goal was simple power with carbs, and i dont know any old carburated 350 motors that make 330hp like the new crate motors do.

By a 360, do you mean the mopar 360? And if so do you think the AW4 trans could handle the kind of torque that the giant 5.9L motor would put out?

-mike

thewrath said:
By a 360, do you mean the mopar 360? And if so do you think the AW4 trans could handle the kind of torque that the giant 5.9L motor would put out?

-mike

HAH!!! by AMC man *beats you in the head and neck with a rotten watermellon*

just kiddin

no i am pretty sure the aw4 can't handle it, but i think a 305 would work nicely in it i think a 350 would be a little too much for it too

Also about the hood work, seeing as my XJ is a 2000, i want to keep the look at stock as possible except with a lift and some wheels/tiers and rockrails. Keeping with the stock look would definatly negate any hood mods. Also this stock appearance thing is whats motivating me to think of ways to use the stock transfer case and linkage to the inside of the cab, as well as the stock shifter. one problem that i will face is gauges. the late model XJ's arnt like old CJ5's where you can cut a round hole in a metal dash panel and stick in a nice looking gague. damn the invention of plastic (well just sometimes).

yeah, i hear that,
a friend of mine has a 2002 grand cherokee, it has i think it is the 304, and that is 1 strong and quick engine, i wish they weren't so electrical dependant that the setup could be used in another vehicle

by having a 350 or 360 would u nee to get bigger axles to handle it? i had a friend parting out a jeep with a 350, better tranny, and two dana 44's, he said u cant run the dana 35 and 30 on that big of a engine, i didnt bother askin why.... also, with the 305 swap, the tranny can run that sized engine without over stressin it? I have only heard bad things about the 305 so just curious.

The AW4 has been compared favourably to the THM700-R4, and that is found quite often behind SBChevvy.

Given the further fact that I've been through the 700R4, 350, 400, most other autoboxes, Allison Diesel boxes, AND the AW4, I don't see any reason why a good AW4 won't hold up to a decent SBChevvy, SB Mopar, or even the SBAMC.

Failing that, there is at least one shop (Level 10? Someone help me here...) that will do performance AW4 buildups. If they are as good as they think they are, it should be like when I used to get my boxes built by B&M - you give them specs and let them fulfil them - or exceed them.

Specs on the tcase input can be had at www.newventuregear.com, and I think going to D44/D44, D60/D60, or perhaps GM Corporate or Ford 9" wouldn't be a bad idea (I listed those in order of personal preferece - most would suggest going right to the Ford 9". There's nothing wrong with them, I just prefer Dana...)

Just a few thoughts...

5-90

In regards to gearing, if you have a 1987 auto, 4.0 you prob. have 3.55 gears. With a 32" tire, you'll do 57 mph in overdrive at 1600 RPM. You want to be closer to 2100 to 2500 RPM at that speed. At these low revs, the engine just isn't producing enough torque and this will cause you to push down on the go pedal more and cause you to lug the engine. This will kill mileage. I bet your mileage would improve with a regear. Maybe you could run up on a wrecked 4 cyl. and swap the axles out of it - if you can confirm it is equipped with 4.10's. Most folks on hear would suggest 4.56's for 32's but the axle swap could be a cheap improvement.
As far as the stock AW-4, it has electronic controls with inputs from the TCM which control shifts. Unless you want to convert it to manual shift only I would avoid using it with a swap.

1) Well....the 327 was only found in Ramblers, Marlins, and other pre68 AMCs and Jeeps. It is not a chebbie (check the distributor location).

2) 327 also does not have the "standard" ACM bolt pattern. (neither does the 390)

3) The AW4 can be built quite well. There are lots of newer vehicles that use variations of this trans behind V8s.

4) For you...I think the best thing to do would be build a BEEFY I6 so it puts out 250hp / torque and regear the beast a bit. This will cost you the least and outlast the other choices in my opinion.

does the 89 cherokee use the same 3.55 gears, i havent changed them yet and i notice i have to press the gas pedal down a lot as well. I was told it should do much better at higher speeds tho. For 31's and or 32's and possibly a small 33, whats the best gearing to fix his problem?

Well generaly i would sugust 4.56 for a 32 to 33 in tire and thats the general feeling here at NAXJA and thats coming from those of use who have been there and done that. Dispite what alot of proplr belive just be cause you may turn a little more RPM doesn't mean worse fuel economy. turning to few rpm is far worse than spining it (with in reason) hell if i can get over 137k on a big block chevy with 4.56s and turns 3300 at 70 the 4.0 will last much longer.
As for amc V8s the 327 that cam in early to mid 60s were pure AMC motors and were 250, 287, and 327. then they made the never version with was the same basic block for the 290, 304, 343, 360, 390 and 401 and all had the same bolt patern.

Back