• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Seats the final answer FAQ

if i understood you correctly, Connormann, you said in your origianl post that 94 and down Cherokees can fit the ZJ seats? i want to put a pair of leather seats in my 87 Cherokee and from what ive heard, the ZJ/WJ seats are only changable to 95 and up Cherokees.

Last edited:
If you get power leather seats from a WJ the bases will not swap out and it is not s direct fit ask me how I know it took a while but all the seats are in and working great

click to make bigger

Re: XJ Seats the final answer: benches

Bench seats from a Comanche will work - use your original pedestals, drill out the rivets needed to bolt up into the Comanche frame. The seat adjuster lever will need to be bent slightly to operate - but since the seat cushion is slightly offset, it hits the B pillar anyway and will need more work to go back all the way.

Doing this with a full console means more cover up work, fabbing, and the loss of the tunnel mounted handbrake, which is a whole 'nother project to install the underdash type. Doubtful it will pass state inspection with no brake.

The console parts are modular, short or long, and you can swap the panels from one to the other - or scavenge them that way at the junk yard.

Seat belts can be added for the very short center position, will probably need longer bolts to secure all the ends, and no doubt probably not meet the OEM design strengthfor the anchors. At least your originals will slip right up and work no problem.

The spun bonded backing on the bench seat back is fragile and will not survive long term use, requiring a custom fix.

If you later remove it, use the bench seat in your garage against the wall - so it won't tip over. The base is too short for freestanding. I just may hang it from a left over garden swing stand for the ultimate redneck deck furniture.

Just a'swangin . . .

what about rebuilding seats...
i have access to 93 zj seats, can i use my 98 brackets on them or if that doesn't work remove the cushions from the seats pans and place in my 98 pans and bolt the upper seat to the pan???

it sucks cuz i got burned on some after market seats that don't fit.(too high)...its killing me.

later

cipey

Back