• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ purchase input please

Watkinsglen

NAXJA Forum User
Hello , looking to narrow down which xj to purchase, light wheeling and general use. My searches lead me to think 99 4.0 manual tranny as the best starting point. MT is required, last year with distributor, better heads if built in the latter half of the model year. Am mechanically inclined with several generous rollaways and shop space.
Twenty odd years of Mitubishi Montero and Isuzu Trooper ownership and the parts pricing and availability starting to wear me down.

Any opinions you could share would be appreciated.
Thank you

Nothing wrong with 99, nor 98 or 97 for that matter. If you're interested in the old body style, there's nothing wrong with 96 or 95...and on and on. Most folks avoid the 0331 cylinder head and perhaps the LP30 depending on their plans. But the 'best year' threads kinda crack me up. 'I avoid 93's cause they always get flat tires!'

98-99 are both good. '97 is an odd-ball year for electrical(only bad from a Junk yard perspective). All the heads on the '99s are the same, early/late doesn't matter. It's '00, the first year of the 0331 head, everyone worries about.

If it says "jeep" on it and its a cherokee itll be fine. but if it says "jeep" on it and its a cherokee it'll cost you money in repairs and modifications that you will have to do too. Not to mention the time youll spend on NAXJA :p
All that aside, other than the head issue that has been mentioned and the two different body styles..there isnt a whole lot of difference in the years.Ive had three renix (early models) that i now prefer the 1990ish Xjs just because they are pretty cheap and i know the engines from front to back in my sleep. Thats just me though. Either way there are tons of aftermarket products available for all years and lots of experience to draw from.

Welcome to the club! Cherokees are awesome. Glad you're coming over from those crappy imports :)

I thought the better heads were on the early part of the model year before they redesigned in anticipation of the coil packs.

My 99 5 speed now has 259 thousand miles on it, and very nasty rust, but if another one turned up with no rust and a hundred thousand fewer miles, I'd snap it right up.

Thanks for the replies,yes, I was wrong, late model year for the 0331 heads.
Discussed with some local friends who own various years as well and off to look at two 99s and a 98 this weekend ,all decent starting points.
Have gotten lazy on troubleshooting with Obd II and will keep it to post 96 .

Nothing wrong with crappy imports ,all four previous vehicles would have climbed a tree if I was brave enough.

Will see what I discover this weekend, Thanks

It's all a matter of personal preferance. I just bought a 97 because I like the newer body style/interior better than 96 and older. Between my wife and I we've owned a 87, 90, 91, 93, 96, 97, 89 and her current 99 and my new to me 97. All had their own unique "issues" and likes and dislikes. One of the most comfortable was the 89 since it was the Limited trim with leather seats and had a sunroof.

I do prefer the H.O. engine over the Renix due to the HP increase. Try and find one with the 8.25 rear axle and not the D35. Unfortunately the 97 I bought has the 35 and ABS =/ but down the road it'll get swapped for a Ford 8.8 for the 4.10 gears.

If you like the newer body style, just find the best deal on a 97-99 that you can. Weigh the pros and cons between what you find... this one has X amount of miles whereas this one has a brand new set of tires, this one has a beat up fender, this one has a bad paint job etc etc...

I jumped on the 97 I bought because I got it for a good deal...152k miles, Up Country package, Country trim... a bit dirty inside and needs a good cleaning outside as well, needs new window tint as it's gone purple and peeling, needs a new cat and power steering hose. But for $1,600 and the fact that my 93 is falling apart, I couldn't pass it up even though it has ABS and D35.

Back