• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Floor Plans

Okay here is the summary. With the rain we had, It took me forever to get this done. Floor turned out good. It does what was expected. I was surprised at the sound levels. Without carpet, while driving on the road and highway the sound levels varied between 77 and 83 dB. This was with a directional meter held in the passenger seat and pointed at the floor. After the layers of Dyna-products and the Vinyl floor, the measurements dropped to 68~74 dB. Here is a link to info on Decibels They are not like measuring inches. They are logarithmic. Much like the way Earthquakes are measured.

Anyhoot on the the install pics..

I started with
36 sq feet of DynaMat and DynaLiner and a replacement vinyl floor from Auto Custom carpets.

I had a lot of DynaMat and Liner left. Enough to do my doors. Although, I did not do the cargo area, yet.

First thing I did was clean all the rust spots up off the floor. There we a couple small spots and a few spots where there was a little bubbling below the paint, after scraping off the bubble there was rust deposits. So, I wirewheeled and cleaned all the spots. Primered and Painted with a few coats of Rustoleam.

Then came the DynaMat install. Its some cool stuff. I was surprised at how easy it is to apply. I used the Dyna-roller that they sell. I didn't Make cut outs and templates like they suggest. I would roll out a big square and then fill around it with smaller pieces.

Started on the passenger side- cutting and rolling. You can see the rubber shield/insulation hanging down. I left it and just worked around and under it. It was easy enough to push around.
One of the hardest things was keeping the work area clean. My jeep is a dusty beast. Even with the carpet removed I kept a damp rag handy to constantly wipe up dust before I laid down the Dynamat.
20100518_193643_138.jpg

A little more progress on the passenger side. I didn't cover the seat mount initially, but did go back and cover it.

20100518_204613_140.jpg

Here is a look at the drivers side. It was pretty straight forward. Just cut and fit, repeat..

20100519_180247_145.jpg

Here is a look after the Dynamat was finished. I covered the whole Tranny Hump, and even stuck some under the rear seat.. just because. Shortly after taking this, I split that beer... I am happy to say, it all just pooled up on top of the Dynamat so I could wipe it up.

20100520_174324_148.jpg

One of the things I did was go through and plug all the small areas. Like this corner piece, I cut and rolled it into place to fill the gap.

20100519_181622_147.jpg

Here is a shot of the DynaLiner, I went with the 1/2 thick.

20100524_171336_152.jpg

I found it easiest to Roll out the DynaLiner. It was not as easy to position as the DynaMat. The Sticky stuff on the bottom would stick instantly. Where as the Dynamat and the black goo, was easier to reposition. i

20100524_180349_160.jpg

I applied the DynaLiner much the same way as the DynaMat. Here is a picture of the driver side.

20100526_181708_163.jpg

As with the DynaMat, I got as far up the firewall as I could with the DynaLiner

20100524_181855_161.jpg

With the DynaMat and the DynaLiner installed, It was time to get on to the Vinyl.

here is what it looks like when it shows up.
20100524_181855_161.jpg

And when you open the box up, I didn't think it came with insulation. I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere. But, hey look at that it did.

20100526_194304_165.jpg

Here is a pic of the insulation, it appears to be the same stuff, I pulled out with my old carpet. Its like a mat made from every piece of string you have every dropped. or found.

20100526_194407_167.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the Vinyl flooring right out of the box.. My first thought was.. custom molded what????

20100526_194852_171.jpg

The Insulation came as one piece. I cut in into a top and bottom. There is a whole for the shift knob. At least, I think. The directions you download are a one document fits all, and was basically a go for it.. these are a couple things you might see document. Not much help at all.

This is the front piece after I cut them

20100531_161029_174.jpg

and the back piece. Notice the flooring sitting in the sun. I was trying to soften it up a bit.

20100531_161104_175.jpg

Here is the rear piece installed. Once cut if fit nice, and was easy to trim around the cage.
20100531_170028_189.jpg

Here is the front piece installed from the drivers side perspective.

20100531_170034_190.jpg

After the flooring sat in the sun for a while you can see the custom molding. you can make out the rear seat area.

20100531_155912_173.jpg

Following the instructions, I folded the flooring in half, and placed it in the middle and unfolded it. Then began to cut out the center where the tranny hump is.

20100531_183306_200.jpg

The vinyl floor was easy to work with at first. Then it cooled off. Once cooled it was a huge stiff piece of vinyl that had a mind of its own.

Here is the passenger side. The good thing is that it is larger than the passenger are so you have room for error and trimming.

20100531_184704_201.jpg

Here is the drivers side.

20100531_180158_199.jpg

Here is a picture of the drivers side installed. The instructions eluded to the wrinkles and bulges would settle once the floor was heated a couple times.. I am still waiting for that. Maybe too much Dynamat..

20100531_180158_199.jpg

Summary
Dynamat and DynaLiner - Good stuff

I would use less DynaLiner next time or maybe leave out the OE instulation. It made it hard to put the seats back in because of all the padding. Not the padding on the seat rail, or hump where it bolts to but the padding on the tranny hump made it hard to line up the holes.

I would pay closer attention to where the seat mounting points are. Getting through the vinyl was a pain.

I would have a lot of clamps and locking pliers in place to hold the Vinyl floor steady. It moved on me a couple times and that lead to a less than stellar install.

Luckily, I am not afraid of a little glue and tape, so it all worked out. I did read a lot of reviews where people used spray adhesive to hold the vinyl floor down. I can see why after doing it. It has moved some since I installed it. I am going to cut a few places and glue and trim to make it fit just how I want it.

all in all, I am happy I did it. Driving all around the cab stays much cooler. My stereo sounds better. It is quieter on the road. When my kids drop stuff. it cleans up WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY bettter than carpet.

If I was to do it again. I would take more time and remove the whole dash and shift stuff on the tranny hump.

Holy shit Dave ! no wonder it took you 2 months to get us some pictures ! lol.

Better stay out of the deep mud
icon10.gif

I am ready for it now. The Dyna products won't hold water, the just leaves the oe insulation, which I could pull out.

The floor whips clean easily.

Really it only took a couple days. Doing it in my driveway with the Rainiest Oregon spring in history.. make it take a lot longer while I waited for sun.. or just a dry day.. or hour..

Really it only took a couple days. Doing it in my driveway with the Rainiest Oregon spring in history.. make it take a lot longer while I waited for sun.. or just a dry day.. or hour..
Huh? This month has been a pretty mild January IMO:dunno:

I used to work at foss car audio in tacoma, If someone is looking to do the same type of thing which I probly am ( thanks for the idea) they have there own mat that is the SAME as dynamat but its only 10 bucks a sheet rather than 25 bucks a sheet. plus the guy likes to wheel and deal so Im sure someone could get it for 8 bucks a sheet.
Do you know what it is called? They have a store a mile from me and im gonna do the same thing.

I am ready for it now. The Dyna products won't hold water, the just leaves the oe insulation, which I could pull out.

The floor whips clean easily.
Good stuff. I went thru the same thing with mine so I know how much of a pain the job is. Just one thing: I question the wisdom of using that jute padding they sent. The stuff is nasty and if any water gets on it anywhere, it will remain wet & stinky forever.

One suggestion for if you ever have to do it again or anyone planning a similar job (I don't remember what happened to your original carpet). If at all possible, temporarily hang on to the OE carpet or padding if possible once you pull it out. You can use it as a template for the new stuff. I used my old padding as a template for the neoprene padding. Made it stupid simple to cut all the holes in the right place.

Finally!

But seriously, nice job. I've also heard that it really helps to glue the vinyl pad.

Good stuff. I went thru the same thing with mine so I know how much of a pain the job is. Just one thing: I question the wisdom of using that jute padding they sent. The stuff is nasty and if any water gets on it anywhere, it will remain wet & stinky forever.

One suggestion for if you ever have to do it again or anyone planning a similar job (I don't remember what happened to your original carpet). If at all possible, temporarily hang on to the OE carpet or padding if possible once you pull it out. You can use it as a template for the new stuff. I used my old padding as a template for the neoprene padding. Made it stupid simple to cut all the holes in the right place.

The OE carpet would have made it sooo much easier. Unfortunately my neighbor rented a huge dumbster.. and I got a chance to easily dispose of it before my cage was done. This kind of came as an after thought. Definitly would have made things a lot easier to have used it as a template.

I got my Dynamat off Amazon, it wasn't that much. the exteme pack was 120 bucks.

Digging up an old one here. With my carpet having to come out im wondering how "worth it" on all the time and money that went into this. I have done similar in road cars before but not in a jeep, and not to this level.
Dave, if your still out there. would you recommend this? or how much of it would you. looking to rip things apart in the next couple weeks.

Bronze.

Digging up an old one here. With my carpet having to come out im wondering how "worth it" on all the time and money that went into this. I have done similar in road cars before but not in a jeep, and not to this level.
Dave, if your still out there. would you recommend this? or how much of it would you. looking to rip things apart in the next couple weeks.

Bronze.
I am not Dave... but I have input. Like he stated the decibel drop is significant. 1 or 2 decibels is hardly noticeable to the human ear, But multiple decibels are. If you can find a good deal on dynamat or fat mat or any of the other good products out there, do it. It not only suppresses sound, but also heat. Look into second skin products, they have a full range of material for all your needs. I've been involved in car audio for 20+ years, and these products will make a noticeable difference. In my jeep I dynamatted the doors only so far, and filled all empty spaces with water feature expanding foam. Definitive boost in sound quality and reduction in resonant frequencies. I am pushing only 3500 watts to one sub, and have for sure noticed road noise reduction and a boost in audio decibels. Havent stripped carpet yet, but its coming.

Back