• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj engine swap

glamisdunin

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. So yesterday i made my way out to pick a part for their half off everything sale. I went there looking for 3 different items in particular. Only found one which is adding more changes to my already very extensive project. I found the engine i was willing to trade up from i really like my 4.0s and will now have a spare for my other jeep. So anyways to why i wrote this thread i yanked out a 5.9 v8 magnum engine out of a 96 ram i got a complete engine minus some minor parts i also kept the engine harness with the engine but did not get the fuse block thqt was gone. Im curious what transmission i should run and what transfer case should i use that will all match up together. What spline peramiters i should be aware of also thankyou i have had some issues finding this information on my researches without asking questions

Auto or manual?

Auto - the "native" trans is a 46re or 47re probably, you want to completely rebuild it and put in a shift kit or run a different trans

Manual - NV4500 is "native", you can put an AX15 behind it with a bellhousing from a 3.9 v6 5 speed dakota iirc but I'm not sure if an AX15 will stand up to that power.

I know almost nothing about the 46re other than that my family has had horrible luck with them and so have my friends.

The NV4500 is well respected as long as the 5th gear nut doesn't back off. If you get one from a 5.9L gasser dodge 2500 it will almost certainly have the 23 spline output shaft which means you just bolt your NP231 on and that's that (afaik) or you can swipe the rear yoke from the truck's driveshaft, the NP241DLD (I think) from the same truck, and run it with a conversion ujoint from the yoke to your driveshaft. For the front output I'm not sure what to do, dodge uses a flange instead of a cv yoke, an NP231J front output yoke MAY fit but I'm not sure the spline count is the same.

What year XJ? 96 and down your tach wiring is easy, wire the dodge ECU's tach wire to the jeep's and it'll just work, 97 and up you may want to get the wiring harness sensors and ECU off (iirc) a 97 or 98 dodge 5.9 ram, then you splice the CCD bus together and all the gauges will work. Check BLoose's build thread in mod tech for more details on that.

Yea i want automatic however i would prefer not going with a chrysler trans however cannot seem to fin adapter housings for other trans swaps like a c6 or even an allison would be awesome

So last week i was able to find an add on craigslist that a guy had rolled his 2001 dodge ram 2500 5.9 v8. Well he was parting out just about everything since the truck he replaced it with was a 80s ram so his truck was pretty built before he wrecked it and i ended up with his 46re trans that has a high stall torque converter fresh rebuild 20k miles before it has a transgo shift kit and b&m high capacity trans pan holds an extra gallon of atf. Got it for 250 bucks. Also i was in need of engine electrical and ecm. So i got his entire vehicle harness ecm instrument cluster and a cheapy hypertech power programmer. For 200 bucks so i scored everything i needed to run my powertrain randomly looking for something else entirely. I was just glad i had the right amount of cash at the right time. Just wanted to share

cool, I am planning the same swap! There is nothing wrong with the chrysler automatics, I have a 5.9l limited GC with 250k on the original trans (46re) with no rebuilds, and a 2004.5 dodge ram 2500 CTD (48re) at 150k on the original trans. The biggest cause of failure is improper fluid (atf+4 is the correct stuff), low fluid level, and not following the regular maintenance schedule (24k for a band adjustment, fluid, and filter). They are really well built transmissions, and can take some serious beating if everything is taken care of. Especially if they have shift kits, they will last longer then most everything else on the truck.

I haven't studied what will be required electrically, but I can't wait to see it happen. Glad i'm not the only one thinking about this!

Nice yea i love that engine i wont have it in for aboit a year because its one of the last things on my list to rebuild and adapt to the tube chassis. I gotta build all my suspension. Im building 41 inch lower front links with shock moints on the links and 57 inch rear links using the ballistic 3.0 joints im super excited about the build i want to get a build thread up when i get farther along. I hope your build is sucessful and runs smooth. Question. Whats the difference between a a518 and 46re if any how do i identify the difference?

Back