• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrangler Unlimited....best for the midwest?

need-a-bow

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hey guys, im thinking of shopping for a new(er) vehicle, and a friend who owns a machine shop is thinking of trading in his 2011(i believe) Wrangler Unlimited Sport for a Sahara. Has low miles, no offroad use, nice stock look. Im seriously looking at taking it off his hands for the right price, and retiring my XJ for offroad use/beater jeep/loaner for dad. I drive daily around 35 miles, and like cargo space and do lots of highway. Do you guys think its a decent option? Ive heard guys saying around 20MPG when easy on the skinny pedal, sounds better than my 14MPG on highway, and i like the look of it. Might occasionally tow a trailer(with XJ or ATV on it). Should i move on, or look closer to this for a new daily driver? The 4WD in snow is a big plus here in chicago.

I have got a buddy of mine and my brother in law that both have wrangler unlimited's and they both get 20-21 mpg.

I have been driving Xj's since 2000- Got the wife in a YJ in 2004 (rust over came in 2008). We then bought her a 2004 LJ or Unlimited sport.

AWESOME ride- love it. OUrs is stock with 31' tires. "daily driver"... Thr only thing I don't like are the Pre-Cats. But thats 'most things above 1999. I am waiting for her to be done with it so I can have it. I don't know what gas milage is but its much better than my 98 XJ. The added space is very benifitial over a standard yj and adds to the stability. D44 with posi is standard- It is amazing in snow and ice.
Repairs so far include tie rods and brakes oh and "pre-cate front pipe". THat's it.

I typically see 12-14 mpg in city with my '09 2 door. My best so far was close to 16 mpg on the highway. I feel like it's always dinging at me for more gas. I have a Rubicon and I believe the seats are different between the trim levels. I can say mine is comfy to drive in though. The heat will about boil you out of the vehicle. Hope you like waving.

So ive been searching around, a lot of people say '12+ for the 3.6. Is it worth the extra cash to get a newer JK for that engine?

So ive been searching around, a lot of people say '12+ for the 3.6. Is it worth the extra cash to get a newer JK for that engine?

We love our 2014 JKU and we get like 18 on the highway easy without being very easy on it. 20 I would think is possible. As for the difference in the two motors yes the new one is way better. I would bet with the great deals you can get on a new one you will find the you can buy a new one for a tiny bit more than the used one and your payment will be less not to mention all the free service you get.....

Ram" Let me know if you want to check our JKU out"Rod

I hadnt thought too much of buying off the lot but it might be an option. Biggest problem is short credit history for me, so not sure if i could get approved for a loan. Oh the pain of being young. But hey with the lower interest it might be an option worth looking at. What free services come with a brand new JKU? And is yours stock or any suspension work done to it?

Well over the weekend i took a peek. It looks like a Willys Wheeler is closest to what im shooting for, around $33k. Anyone have one, anything you wish you added to the package?

Well over the weekend i took a peek. It looks like a Willys Wheeler is closest to what im shooting for, around $33k. Anyone have one, anything you wish you added to the package?
Yep that is what we bought....Being the wife was getting back into a DD jeep from the VW that had many electrical problems we decided to order our's with the Willys package that gives you the Rubi wheels and tires and Rubi rock rails. other than that the only option we got was the upgraded stereo and the hard top. We bought a Trec top soft top and had heated seats put in ...Best DD jeep we have had yet.

John, did the Willys come with 3.73 gears and rear locker? I test drove one before buying the Rubi, and wasn't sure if that was standard on the Willys package or just how the dealer ordered the one I drove.

John, did the Willys come with 3.73 gears and rear locker? I test drove one before buying the Rubi, and wasn't sure if that was standard on the Willys package or just how the dealer ordered the one I drove.
If it has the tow package it get the 3.73.

I forgot that was the other thing she added to the base Willys was the tow package to get those gears. Tow package with rear 44 is 3.73

Aside from the transfer case and front axle, what other differences are between the rubicon and Willys Wheeler?

Front and rear lockers. With the Willys you get a 44 rear with limited slip. You get the Rubi wheels and tires and the Rubi rock sliders. The Rubi 44 front is really just a beefed up 30 not really much stronger other than the ring gear. We are just going to ad an E-locker to the front of ours and maybe better shafts/ truss and all the little 30 booster tricks.....

Back