• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you buy a 7.3l with REALLY high miles?

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
I've been thinking about an inexpensive tow rig that will also be used for occasional around town stuff and fishing trips.

I like everything about the mid 90s and early 00s 7.3l Fords.

But, if I want a clean and decent running truck with a price around $5k, I'm looking at miles in the 200k - 350k range.

Is buying one of these trucks with 200k+ miles a bad idea?

No experience with the Fords, sorry Jordan.

Any reason you're not considering a gas 3/4 ton?

Haven't ruled them out yet. I kind of think that older gas engines, even in a 3/4 ton, aren't quite up to pulling in hills. The 6.0l Chevy is good, but I like Fords. I'll poke around in the diesel world for a couple months and if nothing turns up, I'll look to gas.

I also think that diesels will last longer .... I feel better buying a high mileage diesel ..... but on the other hand gas trucks are cheaper, which means you can get less miles for the same money. Ahhh, what a pain.

What do you plan on pulling with this? Your MJ?

The 5.7L Hemis in the Dodges are pretty potent in stock form. My father's friend has one and had no problems pulling his car down to PA from MA. For reference it was a '68 Dodge Superbee, so not a light car.

Ping Bill for GM stuff. I'm a Mopar guy :D

As an example, this truck is listed at $4,900. It has 238k miles. Its an 01 F250 and the pics make it look clean, but you never know.

Is it bad to even consider this type of truck, or does it still have a lot of life in it? Or is it really a case by case basis?

i-1.jpg

I think the 00-01 Fords are the only ones worth looking at?

Not sure, I don't know the weak links on them.

Tried any of the diesel forums for info?

What do you plan on pulling with this? Your MJ?

The 5.7L Hemis in the Dodges are pretty potent in stock form. My father's friend has one and had no problems pulling his car down to PA from MA. For reference it was a '68 Dodge Superbee, so not a light car.

Ping Bill for GM stuff. I'm a Mopar guy :D

I'm sure you are right, and I'm sure Dodge trucks are good, but I won't buy a Dodge. No, I don't really have a good reason for that .... its just the way I was raised .... my family doesn't buy Dodge. If I drove a Hemi, my grandfather would cut me out of his will ..... and I REALLY want his fishing boats!!!

:D

It's all good, my father would disown me if I brought home anything but a Mopar.

You should have seen his face with my first Jeep. He's come around though.

Or is it really a case by case basis?

Ding Ding!! With anything with high miles, if its got a good background/records/etc, then I wouldnt be too afraid. When we got the Dirtymax it was only like 2 years old but already had like 130k. But it was a one owner, his personal truck that he used to tow cars with. Looking at it, you could never tell the mile/useage. Obviously, look over all the basics, see how much stuff has been replaced/worked on and go from there.

That being said, I watched my boss' 01 F350 7.3 get a cracked head at like 110k. I dont care for those trucks that much. I also hated the auto in it, the gear changes and rpm changes sucked towing with it. Although the auto never had any problems, I guess the torque convertor is the weak link on those trucks.

A friend of mine has a 00 with a 6 spd and it's served him well for a year and a half. IIRC it's on the higher mileage spectrum, maybe 200k-ish. No major problems to speak of.

look out for rotted oil pans on the 97-03 7.3L. Also make sure it runs strong and doesnt stumble after a cold start. Taking a little while to crank is ok.

Manual trans is defiantly stronger then auto, if you can find one. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one a 7.3L with 200k+, i love the 7.3L. Weak point is leaking oil (not the biggest deal) also look to see if the trans has been rebuilt. As a general point for a truck with 200k+ if they kept the body & interior in good condition the usually performed regular maintenance. Most 7.3 do take awhile to crank, my 03 does an always has only 62k on it. From my experience it is a hard engine to kill, i know alot of people who have 400-500K on them.

my buddy has a 94 f350 with the 7.3 powerstroke, its got 340k miles and runs like a champ. as long as they're maintained the 7.3 runs forever. avoid the older non-powerstrokes though, even with the banks turbo and whatnot they are dogs

my old work truck was a 98 f350 with the 7.3 had about 270000 miles lots of heavy towing ran great they had replaced the auto on it i was told at about 250000 miles. I left there 3 years ago and they still have it running like a champ has to have atleast 300000 miles on it now. The torque converters are weak and they get some oil leaks but so does any older truck with high miles

I would totally get a another truck if I needed one.

I can speak of my personal experience.

My 2000 7.3 6 spd dually 3:37's, has been really good to me as far as repair bills go. I've had some of the common problems associated with the trucks (CPS, Clutch pilot bearing) which have since been resolved now that the correct aftermarket parts are available. I bought it with about 27k on the odo and not it sits at 227k.

Its been used hard for towing. I figured I've put about 60k miles with over 22,000lbs cgvw, and have done a 3k mile trip at 26,750 lbs.

It's been a great truck, it's not a grocery getter but a tow rig. MPGs will vary, I've seen better fuel economy with heavier weights due to just slowing down/ taken it easy. Real world towing MPGs 9-12 and around town 14-18 MPGs.

PAT

24,000lbs at 170,000 miles

14,000 truck 10,000 trailer

IMG_8409.jpg

I know its not a diesel but my 2000 F-250 with a 5.4 has 262,000 miles. It is my work truck and tow rig. I put about 2000 miles a month on it. I see it going well past 300,000. Tranny got replaced but only because a line broke me while on the highway. It was too late when I stopped.

I am the same way. I do not like Chevy or Dodge. Dont know why though.

My 97 7.3 has 135k on it Has had a tranny right before I bought it at 110k . Theyre known for transmissions but the best way to makem last is to slap a big old trans cooler on it and a set of gauges. My friend has a 2000 f350 4 door 212k tuner and 35s and he hammers on it daily no issues.. Just for reference I found my 97 Ext cab f250 with 113k on it new trans and 0 rust for $3800 on the local craigslist. Deals can be had just gotta look

Any update on buying one jordan?

Yes, unfortunately I do.

My wife and I were in the process of buying a new house that had plenty of room for a tow rig and trailer. I have the money saved up for the truck too. I was pumped.

But, at the last minute, the sellers decided not to sell their house .... so we are still in our current house .... with no room for a truck and trailer.

If we can find a house, I'll get a truck. If not, I'll just keep the MJ road legal.

Back