• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Workers at 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Plant Busted for Bad Behavior

urban yan

NAXJA Forum User
Just the Facts:
  • Chrysler auto workers are caught drinking and smoking pot outside of Chrysler's Jefferson North Assembly plant by Fox News Detroit.
  • It's the same plant where, earlier this summer, President Obama said, "I would bet on the American auto worker any day of the week."
  • The Jefferson plant builds the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

DETROIT — The Motor City has been rocked by a scandal involving some Chrysler auto workers who build one of the company's crown jewels, the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Several workers were followed for weeks by Fox News Detroit and caught on tape at a local park near the Jefferson North Assembly Plant here, drinking beer and smoking pot on their lunch hour.

It's the same plant where President Obama stood in July, praising Chrysler auto workers and saying "I would bet on the American worker any day of the week." The local TV station said it began following the workers just five days after Obama's visit. Chrysler went through a government-led bankruptcy in 2009 and took $10.8 billion from the federal government. "The fact that we're standing in this magnificent factory today is a testament to the decision we made," said Obama in July.

The video shows the workers leaving the plant, heading into a local party store and then blatantly drinking and smoking pot in a local park. "There ain't no party like a Detroit party," intones the reporter during the video. He adds: "We saw this day after day after day. [They use their] lunch break to catch a buzz."

The workers have since been suspended indefinitely without pay, according to Chrysler.

"I'm very, very disturbed about what I just saw in the video and I want to make it clear that we at Chrysler take it very seriously," Scott Garberding, Chrysler's senior vice president of manufacturing, told Fox News Detroit. "For us this behavior is totally unacceptable and will be dealt with swiftly."

The United Auto Workers also issued a statement saying that it opposes the use of controlled substances or alcohol on the job.

Inside Line says: A public-relations nightmare for Chrysler and a real blow to the image of American auto workers. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent

http://www.insideline.com/chrysler/...d-cherokee-plant-busted-for-bad-behavior.html

It's only a blow to the bullshit veneer.

I mean look, even Obama's speech was all about how the govt and industry can cooperate on risk that is good for the planet.... at the factory that makes the 17-year-old Grand Cherokee luxury line with the gas guzzler V8 option.... The factory workers aren't good hearted eco-elves?? onoz

Im sure a plant that size in any field has the same thing going on. When the GM plant was in Janesville, WI that facility was huge!!!! And their are a lot of ways shaddy people could continue being shaddy in the dark corners of a plant like that.

Im sure a plant that size in any field has the same thing going on. When the GM plant was in Janesville, WI that facility was huge!!!! And their are a lot of ways shaddy people could continue being shaddy in the dark corners of a plant like that.

I was an auditor for a year at the Ft Wayne assembly plant (1/2 & 3/4 ton pickups) for the 00 roll out (where they sent a lot of Janesville folks, incidentally), and someone was smoking pot in the trucks on the line. At least in the dirty mitten, they're going off the property.

But... but.... that's not what the commercial said!

would you believe my dad said almost the same thing when I told him about the mercedes platform!

i found a beer can crushed up in the door panel of a friends mj, and i HAVE TO ASSUME all those stems and scraps in my carpet are from the potheads in detroit... my xj works fine.

blaze hard homies, and take break even harder!

I am happy to hear they've had their jobs suspended indefinitely, don't need people like that working around machinery.

But... but.... that's not what the commercial said!
would you believe my dad said almost the same thing when I told him about the mercedes platform!

Supposedly this platform is a "Jeep design" and is being shared with Mercedes and Dodge. I have to call :bs: though, Mercedes was the first to put it into production and also was withholding halfshafts for the Charger/300/Challengers and the new Grands last year and Chrysler had to sue them over that..........

Those workers must be retarded. With Michigan's unemployment rate and poor economy, I can't fathom being that secure in your job that you'd risk it being late, much less going out and getting drunk and high.

They should lose their jobs so that some honest, hard workers can earn their wages.

Strange. My Father was a Ford man, 33 years between the Richmond and Milpitas, CA assembly plants. Back then the plants were a "closed campus"--you could purchase a meal in the cafeteria, or eat your lunch in the cafeteria, but you didn't leave the plant. Also, back in the good old days, a union member's probationary period was SIX MONTHS--until their probation was over all you had to do was walk them to the security gate and tell them he was terminated. The union fought like hell to get that cut to 90 days, and finally succeeded. My Father always said the drunks and druggies could fool you for 90 days, but never for a full six months and that giving in to the union on that issue was a major bad idea.

Obvious by-product of social entitlement......unions require performance to the lowest common denominator and push American jobs offshore....:twak:

Who the XXXX cares its just weed.

Yup, being stoned/drunk on company time is perfectly acceptable........I'm sure you wouldn't mind your employees taking the same liberties.

You prolly don't mind "special sauce" applied to your food by the stoned prep cook at your local diner either. :shocked:

Chrysler went through a government-led bankruptcy in 2009 and took $10.8 billion from the federal government. "The fact that we're standing in this magnificent factory today is a testament to the decision we made," said Obama in July.

For clarity, the US Government doesn't have any money that it doesn't first take away from the tax paying citizen. Not how I want my money being spent.

Last edited:

Doing it DURING work is stupid, wait till your home to do illegal things.

And ITS NOT JUST WEED, they were drinking also.

Try paying attention dude, or put the pipe down before you post.

FWIW, Pot is still against the law and so is driving drunk. Going to work drunk not allowed either...

Glad they got fired.

Glad they got fired.

The only thing that upsets me about them being fired is that it doesn't change anything.

Taxpayers were funding their paycheque before they lost their jobs; now we'll get to cover their unemployment.

Back