• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wire identification on passenger kick panel

bajaroach

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone help me identify the source of this wire?
I had tied into it for my locker compressor because it is hot only on key ignition and it had worked great. The power went out on it today - i checked all the fuses inside and out and all are good.

to clarify:
1997 XJ 4.0
all fuses tested good
all lights inside and outside still work
all dash instruments still work
radio still works
windows still work
jeep runs fine, no different than before

what am i missing here?
Can anyone help me identify this wire and its source?

_4Ju0cJTTLC_QpO1SFR4rA

DwhrS7hESdqP4pEnt4x2aw

OK, I guess I cant upload photos. I'm too new....HA

Alright, if you are looking at the fuse panel, passenger kick panel, the connection block we are looking at is "C7" (directly under the row of fuses), the wire is located on the bottom right corner. Yellow wire, heavier gage than the rest. comes on with key ignition.

Appreciate any help.

You can't upload pics here. You upload them to a file/photo sharing site, then post the BBCode link here using the
tags.

Try postimage.org , ignore memership, choose an image, *copy* the hotlink for forums line, then paste it into your post, then delete everything outside of the image brackets.

gadsden-flag.png

Tried to look. Only got black background. Probably a permissions issue. Depending on the camera you use, you may want to resize the picture (make smaller) if you can.

As 8Mud says, try postimage.org

Or imgur.com

or imgdb.com

I use imgur (but also have imgdb and a few others)

it would look like this (without the quotes) "
"

the result would be like:

cJctnfel.jpg

How many amps does that compressor pull? I'm guessing that circuit should be okay for a moderate amount of power since it's a 14-guage wire, but a relay might be more appropriate.

Thanks LAWSONCL -
here is why I am taken back by this issue. "EVERYTHING" still works minus the power to this wire (and now obviously the power it fed the locker). This wire had ignition power just the other day. I know this because my rocker switch "illumination power" is also hooked up to this feed and I can see the switch lit when driving. I noticed the switch was off, tried hitting the locker and it did not kick on. I looked at the fuse and it was good. so then I checked power to this cable (at the location of the photo) and there is nothing.

This was feeding power to the relay for the compressor, not power directly - so yes, there is a relay to the compressor.

To be clear - nothing has changed anywhere else on the jeep, in other words, windows, locks, power mirrors, radio, headlights, turn signals, running lights, brake lights, A/C blower, dash, interior lights - you name it, everything still works. I checked everything. and to top it off, I could not find any blown fuses. under the hood or on the kick panel. To me it makes no sense.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I am maybe a soft 8 when it comes to vehicle electrical. I can mange 85% of any electrical things to upgrade or sort out on vehicles, but, as any XJ owner should now, you need to be at least a hard 12 or 13 to work on XJ electrical issues. This one has me hitting my head up against the door.

Just as a process of elimination, I momentarily moved the compressor wire to another 12V ignition source (radio) and it worked. Ruling out the relay, relay wire, faulty fuse or compressor. It comes back to this wire just loosing power all of a sudden from one day to the next.

LAWSONCL - Thank you.... you helped me solve the issue!!!

I took another look at the photo you shared. #3 reads "Master Lock Out Switch". I wondered, what if this wire looses power if you lock out the passenger(s) window from the driver master switch?? Bam, there it was. How stupid of me. I tried all the windows from the drivers side, not from the passenger side, which is why they all worked.

I flicked the passenger lock off on the master switch and the wire had power again. Man I feel like a total rookie.

If nothing else, I now know this will not be a good power source and I will be moving the compressor relay power switch to another source.

Thanks again. I can start this new year with my sanity intact.

As soon as I saw "lockout", I thought that might be the case.

Or ... You have stick to the trails that don't need a locker if you have people in the car you don't trust not to play with the windows?

Well done getting it resolved.

I've had my '88 since 2000 and still have my "rookie" moments. :)

Back