• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who thinks a aw4 could hold up to a......

How are you planning to adapt the 305 to the AW4?

This is a project I have in mind for the YJ (305/700R4/242) but if I can use a AW4 instead of the 305 it might be a better solution.

r@m

OneTonXJ said:
Who thinks a aw4 could hold up to a......Tuned Port 305 that's been warmed over slightly, 1 ton axles with 39-42's, and a foot that feels heavy more often than not anymore. I've got too many things going through my head right now. Oh yeah, I ABSOLUTELY HATE 700R4's, 4l60's are too expensive, and I have 3 aw4's layin' around. Overdrive is imperative.

(raises hand) "i do"

BrettM said:
mainly just differences in bellhousing/input/output/etc

it sounds like there's a bellhousing to mate to a 60* GM motor, but not the 90* motors like a SBC. I believe the Northstar, Shortstar, and supercharged 3.8 are all 60* and would be great engines. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309899
Holy shizot!!! there it is, the info I've been looking for. I knew there was a reason I bought that Caddy STS at the salvage sale..55k on a northstar motor. I thought about putting it in a buggy, The MJ will have northstar power by next year (I should be able to break all sorts of stuff with it) and there will be a stroker floating around NAXJA for sale.. :sunshine:

I would put a shift kit in there as well. THe shift kit will keep the clutches from slipping too much between shifts which causes heat. A heavy duty torque converter would be a good idea as well. As was said before, put the biggest tranny cooler you can find on it.

AARON

Who makes a shift kit for the aw4? The only thing holding me back from swapping out my ax-15 is that every auto xj I've driven with the aw4 seemed slow and shifted too smooth for my taste.

CW said:
Who makes a shift kit for the aw4? The only thing holding me back from swapping out my ax-15 is that every auto xj I've driven with the aw4 seemed slow and shifted too smooth for my taste.
the slow shifting is in the hydraulics of the tranny, not the electronics, so it's gonna take some real ($$) work to improve it. check out Level 10 (http://www.levelten.com/), they have done a lot with the Toyota A340 version of this tranny and shouldn't have much problem working with the AW4, but don't expect it to be cheap.

BIGWOODY said:
Holy shizot!!! there it is, the info I've been looking for. I knew there was a reason I bought that Caddy STS at the salvage sale..55k on a northstar motor. I thought about putting it in a buggy, The MJ will have northstar power by next year (I should be able to break all sorts of stuff with it) and there will be a stroker floating around NAXJA for sale.. :sunshine:

Pull the heads and check for any warp before putting it in. I looked at at four this past weekend with bad motors. All four starting running hot (bad head gaskets) and the heat pockets screwed up all sorts of crap. All had less than 70K.

Lincoln said:
Pull the heads and check for any warp before putting it in. I looked at at four this past weekend with bad motors. All four starting running hot (bad head gaskets) and the heat pockets screwed up all sorts of crap. All had less than 70K.
I'd freshen it up anyway before I ever installed it. But thanks for the info.

CRASH said:
Is this a customers rig, or a new one for you? What happened to the buggy plan?

CRASH

It'd be a new one for me. I have all the parts I need to slap this one together, except for the odds and ends hardware junk that every project requires.

Trying to weigh the pros and cons of going into full competition and the $$$$ would be tight for a good year or more. Plus, with ma and pa having a jeep now, it makes more sense for me to keep the family wheelin' vacations as actual wheelin and not them watching me or me watching them.

Now, back to the tech. Anybody know where there is documented measurements as far as flexplate to back of motor/torque converter to tranny/ cad files of bolt hole locations for small block chebbies and the aw4 bellhousing on the tranny side???? This outta get interesting, and yes, I'm being lazy.

Also, someone wanna point me in a direction for different (heavy duty/ different stall) torque converters?

I deffinitly agree with the consensous (sp?) to stay away from the 4L60 - yuck.... They have to be one of the crappiest modern day tranny's out there... Stick with the AW4...

Will.

My 91 saburban tow rig is doing just fine on it's 700r4 and it only has 276,000 miles on it.

There's a guy selling a complete switch to an nv4500, includes all the adapaters, clutch crap, shifters, and the nv4500 for 1000 bucks on JU. That would easily hold up to most of what you can do to that motor.

The AW4 is a great tranny lasting 250K+ miles. Just keep it and the 4.0L from getting too hot, do regular fluid changes and they will last.

OneTonXJ said:
Trying to weigh the pros and cons of going into full competition and the $$$$ would be tight for a good year or more. Plus, with ma and pa having a jeep now, it makes more sense for me to keep the family wheelin' vacations as actual wheelin and not them watching me or me watching them.

Dude, be honest... The above should say, " Since ma & pa are gonna wheel with me now & they got a kick ass bus that I can stay in, I'm gonna milk it for all its worth..."

You're a user, plain & simple.

Matt

misty said:
The AW4 is a great tranny lasting 250K+ miles. Just keep it and the 4.0L from getting too hot, do regular fluid changes and they will last.

I'm looking for a XJ, I got to get me a AW4, thanks for the info.

OneTonXJ said:
Tuned Port 305 that's been warmed over slightly, 1 ton axles with 39-42's, and a foot that feels heavy more often than not anymore. I've got too many things going through my head right now. Oh yeah, I ABSOLUTELY HATE 700R4's, 4l60's are too expensive, and I have 3 aw4's layin' around. Overdrive is imperative.

What t-case? Id be more worried about that.

I plan to run the 4.0-aw4-203-205 sittin in my garage, If I do a larger motor swap in afew more years, Id probibly go with a power glide and get a larger input for the 203.

The power glides are really nice, they are short, bullet proof (if you replace the case), only two speeds so have very little gear slop.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/productreviews/powerglide/index.html

Don't know if its been said, but since I have owned both a 2000 XJ and 1996 MKIV Supra TT auto I know one thing is for sure.

The Supra's auto tranny can only handle about 400 rwhp before needing to be upgraded. You can send the tranny to Boost Logic and they rebuild it with stronger parts. The Supra's getreg 6-speed manual can handle 1000rwhp though :wave:

Back