• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where is the VIN stamped?

OLDIRON

NAXJA Forum User
Curious if anyone knows where the VIN is stamped in the sheet metal, seeing as an XJ is unibody? A Mustang is stamped on the top of the inner fender aprons, before the front fenders are installed... I've never restored an XJ, so never had one that taken apart.
Just purchased a 96 XJ and am questioning it, because it seems too clean...
Thanks

There should be one more on the driver's door.

There should also be a plate attached to the firewall (dash panel) inside the engine compartment.

Thanks. I knew the dash tag like all cars, and door plastic/paper label, but didn't know a firewall tag; will look there. So Jeep/AMC/Chrysler doesn't stamp a hidden VIN somewhere in the sheet metal unibody tub? Guess I've worked on too many brand F!!!
Happy New Year's to all.

There should also be a plate attached to the firewall (dash panel) inside the engine compartment.

I am sure I saw it also etched into the body someplace else, it could have been on the cross member in front of the engine behind the front bumper.

My 1996 XJ also have the vin etched into all the windows and windshield.

Back