• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling today with 96xjdude. And yup, I broke it again.

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
Had a great time, nice sunny and warm, if not a bit breezy.

I resolved the pinion u-joint issue by replacing the Revolver shackles.
I also replaced the Renix era cooling system with the more modern and simple radiator with a cap. NAPA radiator, cap, Autozone overflow bottle. Was nice being able to run hard, extended idles, and run at proper temps.

We met up with some other people and ran a few sections I had not run before, really had a great time. After 6 or so hours, we headed out. While bombing up the puerco, I started noting an unusual rubbing sound. My 35's rarely rub. Pulled over to find the rear axle had shifted. The spring pack was coming apart... the centering bolt broke. The U-bolts were loose (I tightned them last week). Pulled the wheel, moved the spings back in position, pulled the axle back in place. Upon tightning the u-bolt, one of them snapped off. GREAT.

Out came ratchet straps to limp the thing out of the puerco. A couple stops and adjustments, made it out. Tom ran to town for parts (Huge Thanks Tom!). Tom, mostly, installed the new u-bolts and continued the journey home. Tomorrow, drop the rear axle, replace broken centering bolt... and freshen up the other side as well. No sense chancing it.

Vids to follow...

Another. Funny how video never shows how big a drop, or how steep something is.

This is one of the places I broke my Jeep previously. Gave it a couple shots, but was only aired down to 20 PSI today, instead of my usual 8-12 PSI. Will save it for another day. What is interesting, is you can clearly see in this video that my rear axle was already starting to have issues... the drivers side is already walking forward.

I am just glad it did not present itself as an issue while climibing Little Lions Back. That could have been creepy.

96xjdude giving it a hell of a go. Again, the video do not do justice... but I am sill not sure how he did not break anything. LOL

wow that sucks! Whose U-bolts? I only use RuffStuff ones and (if I am in a hurry and can't wait for their already fast shipping) go to a local truck spring shop and have them make me a set of 5/8" bolts.

I stretched the crap out of my last set of stock size Omix-Ada U-bolts on my XJ. Ended up bending a spring perch because I thought the rattling clunking noise was my exhaust, not the axle flopping forward/back constantly.

Still using the stock 5/16" centering pins? I'd consider upgrading to 3/8" at the least.

Never had an issue with the 3/8" ones in my RE packs.

I've pretty much only run u-bolt eliminators recently.

Sucks, but glad you were able to get out of there :thumbup:

They came with the Skyjacker 6.5 springs. I need to get a set of the RuffStuff ones on the way.

wow that sucks! Whose U-bolts? I only use RuffStuff ones and (if I am in a hurry and can't wait for their already fast shipping) go to a local truck spring shop and have them make me a set of 5/8" bolts.

I stretched the crap out of my last set of stock size Omix-Ada U-bolts on my XJ. Ended up bending a spring perch because I thought the rattling clunking noise was my exhaust, not the axle flopping forward/back constantly.

I cannot complain. In the last 2 years, I have wheeled that thing a minimum of twice a month in the sand and rocks. As well as drive it to work every day. Not too bad, all things considered.

Jeez Glenn I'm starting to think the B stands for "broken"

I cannot complain. In the last 2 years, I have wheeled that thing a minimum of twice a month in the sand and rocks. As well as drive it to work every day. Not too bad, all things considered.

i did that for years, and we have almost identical breaking points haha how funny. i didn't really start breaking major stuff until I got a second vehicle and didn't have to drive it every day to work, that sort of bumps the courage up a couple of pegs lol.

Yeah, if I did not depend on it every day... and could trailer it, would probably not have a dent-free body panel. LOL

i did that for years, and we have almost identical breaking points haha how funny. i didn't really start breaking major stuff until I got a second vehicle and didn't have to drive it every day to work, that sort of bumps the courage up a couple of pegs lol.

Back