• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the stupidest thing you ever did that you would admit to?

Ignoring a clunking noise coming from the front of my Thunderbird... for like a year:banghead:. I was traveling down the Ave (4 lane running through a business district) when I hit a bad pothole. I saw it at the last minute and tried to avoid but straightened the wheel when it was clear I wasn't getting around it(the hole was the width of the car:(). I hit and heard a very unsettleing BANG but everything seemed OK. I still had a sinking feeling that something serious had happened so I looked for the nearest place to pull into. I spotted an empty lot on my left and there was a break in the traffic so I gritted my teeth, let off the gas(but didn't touch the brakes) and turned left. Everything seemed OK until my front wheels entered the icy parking lot and the car dropped to the ground like it just finished running a marathon. My ball joint on the passenger side blew out when I hit the pothole. If I would have turned right the wheel would have gone it's own way and I would have been in a world or not fun.

Thought it would be a good idea to ride my horse through a local supermarket. everyone laughed and had a good time. Horse got spooked threw me and i landed on a stand full of bananas. I spent the night in a cell and the next 2 weeks polishing floors, scrubbing display tables and had a year of probation. Pretty stupid but i still laugh about it. hehe

"pics or gtfo"

Me? this happened back in 86 in lancaster Pa. it was the senior prank and there was 5 of us. local giant food store. not many digitals running around then so dont have any pics. But if anyone around lancaster my age 40 might have heard of it. it was the 86 Penn Manor senior prank, even though i went to Manheim Township i had the horses hehe. Our prank at my school , we emptied the card catalog in the library. and also held moped races down the halls. we just didnt get caught therefore it wasnt the stupidest thing i did.

Two parts to this, but it's all conected.

Bought my Detroit for my D30, and a buddy told me a guy he worked with could put it in, first time he put it in, he put any shims back in it, tried to give it back like that, told him no, but I needed my Jeep back before he could redo it, so he pulled both axle shafts and the front driveshaft, and gave it to me like that, and destroyed my hubs, then reinstalled the stock shims in the locker, not quite right, but he never touched my Jeep again.

So me and a buddy decided to fix my front hubs our selfs in a friends garage. We started on the Drivers side, but the guy who installed the locker wrong, used his 3/4 drive impact to torque down the axle nut in an atempt to "fix" my now seporated bearings. Sheered the square part off my 1/2 drive braker bar trying to get them off. So I packed up everything while my buddy put the wheel on while he was fighting with his wife on the phone.
Started down the road on the way to my Dads to use his compressor 45 minutes away, and noticed a growling noise from the front, thinking that it was the hub about ready to go, I kept driving praying that it held till we got to my dads and could fix it. Finally got to my dads and pulled into my the shop, got out and saw that all 5 lugs were incredably loose and the holes in the wheel were wallered out to the point, I didn't need to remove the lugs to get the wheel off, just jack the Jeep up and it fell off.

I don't let that buddy work on my Jeep anymore, and I ignore his suggestions on guys to work on my Jeep.

Finally got to my dads and pulled into my the shop, got out and saw that all 5 lugs were incredably loose and the holes in the wheel were wallered out to the point, I didn't need to remove the lugs to get the wheel off, just jack the Jeep up and it fell off.

I don't let that buddy work on my Jeep anymore, and I ignore his suggestions on guys to work on my Jeep.

man that could have been bad! your pretty lucky.

Luckily most of the drive was strait. the whole ride we were expecting the bearing to lock up, so I was driving carfully, but I wasn't expecting to loose a wheel, would have been really bad, Jeep gods were looking out for me that day.

forth of july weekend in gilmer. thought it was a good idea to use a tree as chalk block so my jeep doesnt role down the hill. that might have been the keystone lite talking, i dont know but there went the back window! woops!!

oh and if you look closely there is a strap connected to the shackle on my bumper. yeah its holding my rear axle back because i snapped the top leaf of the pack, busted the drive shaft, u-joint, shocks, exhaust. good times good times!!

Had my WRX seats in the back of my jeep heading over to a friends house to weld the brackets on them and I took a corner to fast. One of the seats slid backwards and sideways punching its leg through the rear window.

Hearing the tempered glass break and crack is a horrible thing, especially since I had to drive a few minutes home like that just hearing it go.

IMG_1730.jpg

You can see the two holes and the cracks before I pulled all the glass out.

-Alex

I managed to back into a mail box when I took my roommate to pick up his XJ in Plano. I hate narrow Plano streets. Luckily, it was a mailbox that stuck out a little pass the curb rather than a big brick structure that would have taken out more then just the glass.

window.jpg

I had ust purchased my XJ, and I was out wheeling and showing it off....well while posing I decided to push it little more. it went over......gently. I tried to stick my hand out the window and stop it. My hand got crushed, then drug for about 5 feet.

The Lord was smiling upon me that day and I kept my hand. I have a big nasty scar clear across my left palm. My hand ws cut 1/4" wide, down to the tendon. I had 9 HUGE stitches in my palm, and one broken bone. Its taken 3 months of intesive therapy to get my hand to close again, and probably will take a year to return to 100%.

Moral of the story, KEEP ALL ARMS AND LEGS INSIDE THE RIDE UNTIL IT COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP!!!!!

This picture is mere seconds before the wreck. I have some pics of my hand, but they are gruesome, and will not post them here.

Jeep.jpg

Back