• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what does a 4.0 weigh?

Not for sure what the 351 weighs (isn't that considered a small block?), but I am pretty sure I remember hearing somewhere that the 4.0 weighs in around 350.

I've never heard of a big block 351, did you mean a big block 352 (Ford FE?) Typically 351s are Ford small blocks, but there was a GM V6 of that cube that was pretty big, maybe you're talking about that?

I'm certain a 4.0 longblock weights more than 350 pounds. Took four guys to lift mine into the truck, so I'm saying it's in the neighborhood of 500 pounds. We actually have a 351 on the engine stand right now, I can go weigh it if you want.

525 is the number that Novac used to compare engine weights on their website. And the 351 is a small block. It is also heavy, and a piece of junk. If you are building for an XJ build a SBC. Better motor, easier and cheeper to build too

Do you mean a 351 Windsor, Modified or Cleveland ? They are all F(*&D Products, and should be taken to the scrap yard NOW.... so it does not matter, but as I recall, one of them was a BB. ~Ace~

my bronco has a 351 modified in it i was told by everyone that it was a big block i could be wrong. but i have some turbos layng around and i am about to part out the bronco if it does not sell by this weekend and it has a very good working drivetrain so i was thinking of dropping in the 351 the c6 tranny and the ford 8.8 into my xj and building a twin kit for it the idea of a twin turbo xj sounds pretty cool using a drawthru carb design it would put out around 600 to the wheels that would be pretty insane for an xj imo. but i like the way the xj is nimble and did not want to add another 500 lbs up front that is the reason i asked if anyone knew what the weight difference was.

Why is everyone hatin on the ford motors? That's what I run for trucks and I flog the crap out of them and never have a bit of trouble!

I know that you can build sbc's cheaper but they are not always bulletproof and then you end up the same as everyone else when you ask what their running "uh yeah it's a small block" lol

Now to answer the question...
The 351m is considered a big block so it is gonna weigh quite a bit. Not sure how much tho. Also I think you are gonna have a heck of a time fitting that in there. They are pretty wide.

I am personally putting a fuel injected 351w in my new build ( whenever that happens) and I have no worries.

Hope this helps!

it does help alot. i know cramming it in there is gonna be hell im prolly gonna hack everything off the front and drop it in and build a exo type cage around it. its a offroad only rig so no reason to keep everything up front really

351 windsor = sb 351 cleveland and modified = bb they are classified by different strokes and 2 or 4 bolt main differences the windsor would be the way to go its basically the 302(5.0ltr) block but with a different stroke 5.8ltr

Something about this plan makes me think you're going to get some nice flex in your unibody. Maybe it's the proposed twin turbo big block.... :confused1

ratherbcamping said:
My 99 engine 4.0 weighed in at 650 at the dock when I picked it up, but that included the pallet.

this is the closest weight posted so far

xj2win said:
Something about this plan makes me think you're going to get some nice flex in your unibody. Maybe it's the proposed twin turbo big block.... :confused1
lol yea it would have been nasty. its not happening someone bought my bronco before i was able to start parting it out

Back