• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are roads like in B.C. and Alaska?

Cheropair

NAXJA Forum User
Have a friend heading from Kansas City (no, we don't kick tumble-weeds down the street and only the drug dealers and police carry guns) to Alaska. We have heard all kinds of rumors about the road conditions through BC and AK.
What are the main highways like? Paved, smooth and ready to roll, or are they really what we have heard - carry several spare tires, extra headlights, a spare windshield? Trip will be made next month, no 'froading, towing a light pop-up camper.
TIA Cheropair

No real experience myself but know several who have so:

AK's roads are wicked thanks to frost heave. Thinks spare parts and careful driving. Also watch out for critters on the road, most are bigger than you. Having said that most I know who have done it were on bikes. My mom did AK in a van/RV combo and it separated the RV section from the van section.

BC roads vary from good to the same as AK's so be prepared there as well.

Sarge

'Main' roads in BC are fine. Smooth, upkept and paved with shoulders. Secondary roads are sometimes gravel, particularly in the North. Frost heave is a consideration, but again, not til' you get pretty far North. Once you get into Alaska, things get a bit more hinky, but still, its not like you're traveling through Russia... Also, the route is populated all the way along, so if you run into trouble, at least you will be able to find help.

Where in Alaska is your friend going? I was there last September for work and the roads weren't in any worse shape than they are around here (Baltimore, MD and D.C.). For reference, I drove from Fairbanks to Tok, which is about 200 miles, along the Alaska Highway and the road was perfectly fine. I also drove from Anchorage down into the Kenai Peninsula, where I spent about a week and half and had no complaints at all about the main roads.

The road is fine the whole way, I've done it twice - once three years ago and I just had the pleasure of driving to Anchorage from SoCal earlier this month. It's nice up to Dawson Creek, then to Haines Junction it's a little more narrow and winding (Some constuction too for a few miles somewhere in there). And the worst is between Haines Junction, YT and Tok, Alaska. The road is degrading and there are some nice heaves and pot holes. It's all mostly a 2 lane highway, with passing lanes on the steep grades. Once in Anchorage the roads are great. Winter is just over, so most of the paint line have worn away, but most of the main roads are two and three lanes each way in the city.

Tell them to get a "Milepost" for the trip up here. It's like a travel bible. It tells you what's at each town, where the pullouts are and what some of the things are along the way. It's a annual book published for travelers.

Good Luck!

-Marisha

I envy you, i'v been wanting to go for about 15 years, looking at doing it in 08.

Definately get the "Milepost". And have a blast. :)

When you go, I wouldn't go in the spring (Mar/Apr-early May) because the snow is mostly gone, and the trees are still bare and all the dirt that piled up over winter hasn't washed away yet so it's rather ugly in comaprison to the other times of the year.

And stop putting it off! ;) It'll be a great trip!

-Marisha

Thanks for the info, folks!
I think my friend is a little off, she has sold her house and is taking a year-long sabbatical to try and tour all of the national parks. Just her and her dogs. She's towing a pop-up camper with a Jeep Liberty. She wants to make Alaska in late May, no real set times, just wandering the country for a year.
I envy her wanting to do this will she's young, so many people wait until retirement to try this, and at that point physical problems may become an issue.

Back