• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ways to carry a dirt bike...

Reichy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys I just got a 06 Suzuki 125 dirt bike. I dont have room for a trailer at my house so im looken into those carriers that go into a receiver hitch. Has anyone had any problems carrying one behind you XJ? Im looken into the Harborfreight 500 pound rack and welding some brackets on it to keep the back secure. Or i could spend $200 and get a custom rack for a dirt bike.

If you have some pics could you please post them please thanks.

Oh i found this on a local site....:wierd:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Parts-Jeep-accessories-dirtbike-trailer_W0QQitemZ250069086860QQihZ015QQcategoryZ42611QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I would have to be pretty desparate to have that monster hanging all the way around my jeep....

I bought a little 4x6 trailer at tractor supply to pull my xr250 and my ruckus.. But ive been looking into one of the single or double bike racks for my reciever as i seem to drag the trailer around getting to the trails..i know they are out thier for cheaper but i dig this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTO-TOTE-MOTORCYCLE-DIRT-BIKE-CARRIER-RACK-HAULER-RAMP_W0QQitemZ330071205354QQihZ014QQcategoryZ34284QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought one off ebay last year and it rocked. It was made by some guy in western MO I think . I paid about 125 bones for it. It was perfect. It came with a ramp and even had a spot for a tank of gas to go on it. I'll find a pic of it.

This is it: Along with a picture of the near-death machine.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74917

Last edited:
Mine didn't have an anti-rattle device but I never had any issue with noise.

Reichy said:
Ok guys I just got a 06 Suzuki 125 dirt bike. I dont have room for a trailer at my house so im looken into those carriers that go into a receiver hitch. Has anyone had any problems carrying one behind you XJ? Im looken into the Harborfreight 500 pound rack and welding some brackets on it to keep the back secure. Or i could spend $200 and get a custom rack for a dirt bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Parts-Jeep-accessories-dirtbike-trailer_W0QQitemZ250069086860QQihZ015QQcategoryZ42611QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that has to be the ugliest thing i've ever seen....

I just shot most of a beverage out of my nose looking at that wrangler thing.. thats amazing. River- your rack looks pretty sweet. how much does the bike weigh, and do you think with some hitch reinforcement it could hold a heavier bike? I have a low rider and i know 575lbs is waaay pushing it... Sweet bike by the way, ive ridden a few SM's and its the most fun you can have on pavement!

Reichy said:

i wonder if hes got a patent on that bad boy

is that stupid thing street legal its like a mad max bumper car or something

mjd99xj said:
I just shot most of a beverage out of my nose looking at that wrangler thing.. thats amazing. River- your rack looks pretty sweet. how much does the bike weigh, and do you think with some hitch reinforcement it could hold a heavier bike? I have a low rider and i know 575lbs is waaay pushing it... Sweet bike by the way, ive ridden a few SM's and its the most fun you can have on pavement!

The guy I bought it from had pics of a 600 street bike on it. I never had a concern with the rack itself bending or breaking apart. I made damn sure that I had every bolt torqued down on the hitch though and I checked them periodically. I guess the tard weighed in at about 350.

riverfever said:
The guy I bought it from had pics of a 600 street bike on it. I never had a concern with the rack itself bending or breaking apart. I made damn sure that I had every bolt torqued down on the hitch though and I checked them periodically. I guess the tard weighed in at about 350.

i dont' think i'd ever put my street bike on one of those things...dirtbike...yea probabily, but not a streetbike....just get a utility trailer

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/motorcycle_carrier.htm?gclid=COW2s5H004kCFRbdSQodqC6d4Q

not sure I would try this behind an xj though

VH90_02.jpg

But I would try this.

rhmc1bscanb.jpg

If I had a motorhome, this is pretty cool.

motorcycle_rv_lift.jpg

There strapped on there and wont come off. It works just like a bike lift. Straps the front tire in so it can't go anywhere. It will pull just like a trailer or car dolly. Just less wait. I just don't like that the back tire still spins and you have to put it into neutral. If a rock hit the shift lever, then you would have problems. But at the same time, if I didn't own a trailer, I would buy one of those. No need now that I sold my bike to keep my jeep.

Reichy said:

Sorry to get a little off topic.. but why an RM125? I guess I can understand if it were for price reasons, cause they are going pretty cheap now days.. but 125 2 strokes are a dying breed, and those RMZ250's are Sweet.

its my first bike and i got it for my dirthday. i ususaly drive a 49cc scooter, so this is an upgrade for me.:banghead: its a good size bike for being a 125. i have the DR-Z125L which is the biggest 125 suzuki has.

anyway i went to HF today and picked up the 2'' receiver rack for $40 today and it works perfect. ill shoot some pics 2maro of the bike on the rack.

Reichy said:
its my first bike and i got it for my dirthday. i ususaly drive a 49cc scooter, so this is an upgrade for me.:banghead: its a good size bike for being a 125. i have the DR-Z125L which is the biggest 125 suzuki has.

anyway i went to HF today and picked up the 2'' receiver rack for $40 today and it works perfect. ill shoot some pics 2maro of the bike on the rack.

Ahhh okay, sorry my mistake there. I was thinking you had gotten an RM 125 motocross bike, so disreguard what I said. The DRZ's are great enduro bikes, and a DR-Z125L is a great beginner bike. Good luck with it man!

Back