• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to buy - MIG Welder

ocean_jet

NAXJA Forum User
So, my Hobart 135 was ripped off, and now I am in the market for a replacement.

I want something with at least the capabilities of what I had, but, I am also seriously considering upgrading to a 220V... like maybe a HH or Millermatic 180?

Not exactly sure though.

I know it's probably a long shot, but if you are looking to sell a MIG welder, let me know what you got.

Thanks,
Mike

i have a lincoln 125. but seems like you are looking for something bigger

if you are staying with a 120V machine, i really love the lincoln SP125. it works extremely well and have abused mine for more than 12 years. but if you have 230V available, i would highly suggest going that route. i have an old miller175 that has been a work horse for many years aswell. the 230V machine will give you better welds on just about any project youll have, large or small. my suggestion to anyone looking to buy a new machine is to go to your local welding supply house and talk with them. they almost allways work with you on price and you can get a much better deal than the advertised price. plus once you purchase the machine they will keep giving you deals on all your welding supply needs, gas, wire, brushes, tips, helmets, ect, ect, ect. in the long run you will save by going this route instead of a place like norther, or ? they are great stores and have great deals on alot of tools, but for welding i would go with someone local and buy a good machine that parts will be available for a loooong time. guns, tips, shieths, all wear out. plus while your at the supply house you can talk with them and get some very valuable tips and tricks of the trade. good luck with your new machine and have fun.

i have multiple welders at my work , we have the hobart 187 and its a great machine, welds great and is still able to fit in back seat or trunk

So, I am going to try to go look at a Millermatic 175.

I'm still learning about welding. When I go look at a used welder, is there anything particular I should look for? I mean, I can turn on the gas, make sure the wire feed is working, and make sure power and gas getting to the wire.

Anything else to look for on used welders?

So, I am going to try to go look at a Millermatic 175.

I'm still learning about welding. When I go look at a used welder, is there anything particular I should look for? I mean, I can turn on the gas, make sure the wire feed is working, and make sure power and gas getting to the wire.

Anything else to look for on used welders?

Bring your mask, gloves and some steel and try it.

I think the overall condition of the unit will say a lot. If the guy doesn't even bother to clean it up and put a new tip on, he probably treated it like trash and you can skip it. If, however, the inside (where the wire goes) looks relatively clean and nice, and nothing looks abused, the unit is probably good to go. I care for mine. It gets dusty if it's not being used, yes, but you surely won't find it in crap condition.

Remember the rule: Tools that you take care of, take care of you. So yea, other than working properly, I'd say just do a visual before I even got that far. :)

ive been looking for a miller 180 or a 211 but having a hard time finding a used one... i think its cause everyone loves theres

The 180 and 211 are more recent. You have better luck finding a used 175 or 210. Good luck.

Back