• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Violence in Baja

I've been into Mexico a few times and liked it a lot. Puerto Penasco was nice. I've been into Juarez and Imuriz as well. Juarez was some poor people.

Maybe the wife will get her wish of going to Hawaii.

Economics have really driven down the package deals.

Safer than the trip she wants to Mexico.

Geez. If there is one country that is going to collapse soon, I'm betting its Mexico. Those of you near the border, keep your head down and your side arm loaded.

I've been into Mexico a few times and liked it a lot. Puerto Penasco was nice. I've been into Juarez and Imuriz as well. Juarez was some poor people.

I love Penasco, and would love to get back down there.

Yep - more violence in the cities I won't be in. Find me the gnarly killings of surfing campers and such traveling in caravan without $20,000 RV's and trailers.

I meant it in jest anyways - I think we're going to do GHOST TOWNS in california! :D

I am a Mexican citizen as well as a US citizen, and I hate to say this; but I am terrified of traveling by land back to my families home town of Zapopan in Guadalajara, Mexico. I really wish I could just drive my Jeep down there and pop the tent out...sadly im restricted to air travel for my own safety. Hopefuly one day things will calm down enough for me to drive down to Mexico. Last year when I was down there, I witnessed alot of things, from gun battles to kidnappings; most of them along the various border towns and towns in between. Recently though, i've been told that even Guadalajara is not safe. Since it is a "safe heaven" to most of the top king pins. I leave in late June this year, hope my plane doesnt get shot down; thats all thats left.

I am a Mexican citizen as well as a US citizen, and I hate to say this; but I am terrified of traveling by land back to my families home town of Zapopan in Guadalajara, Mexico. I really wish I could just drive my Jeep down there and pop the tent out...sadly im restricted to air travel for my own safety. Hopefuly one day things will calm down enough for me to drive down to Mexico. Last year when I was down there, I witnessed alot of things, from gun battles to kidnappings; most of them along the various border towns and towns in between. Recently though, i've been told that even Guadalajara is not safe. Since it is a "safe heaven" to most of the top king pins. I leave in late June this year, hope my plane doesnt get shot down; thats all thats left.

I hope the same thing for all the innocent and law abiding people of Mexico.

This is a really frustrating topic. I lived down in Guatemala for two years from 2003-2005 and saw a lot of the drug and gang violence (it was nothing like today's Mexico but still pretty violent). When the Drug trafficers are having there territorial disputes they will kidnap, maim, and kill anyone. The worst places I saw outside of the capitol city were Puerto Barrios, Zacappa, and Chiquimula. In side the Capitol was pretty much anywhere after dark.

After whitnessing several shooting, even more aftermath scenes, and talking with multiple families who's loved one had been kidnapped and ransomed never to be seen again its just not worth it.

Yes I know this is a thead about Mexico but it is realivant to point out that this violence is happeninig in many other countries and is affecting millions of others thoughout the area.

If you really want to spend some time in the mountains or the sand and have the possibility of being beaten, toutured, or killed then join the marines or army infantry and atleast get paid for it.

FYI: The United States does not recognize dual citizenship. Either your American or your not :banghead:

FYI: The United States does not recognize dual citizenship. Either your American or your not :banghead:

FYI, Mexico does; I'm an American here, and a Mexican here. I have an American friend who is also a citizen of South Africa by birth. So, I am American by birth and Mexican by heritance. If either one or both of your parents are Mexican natives, you as their child can apply for citizenship. Both of my parents also have dual citizenship. Just because the US doesn't recognize it, so you say, doesn't mean other countries don't. Good thing about this is we don't require passports to travel down south.

I really want to go to baja. Matter of fact Sal Fish called and personally invited me. I do have serious reservations. The first being my concealed carry permit is no good there. Mexico has the strictest gun laws in the world, and the worst crime, go figure......They just don't want the good guys to have a chance.
I go an idea lets chip in and get a bradley to take down there......LOL that is the only way I would drive.

I really want to go to baja. Matter of fact Sal Fish called and personally invited me. I do have serious reservations. The first being my concealed carry permit is no good there. Mexico has the strictest gun laws in the world, and the worst crime, go figure......They just don't want the good guys to have a chance.
I go an idea lets chip in and get a bradley to take down there......LOL that is the only way I would drive.

Im sure if they changed the laws, things wouldn't be as bad.

i have no desire to go visit mexico....theres way too much in the US i want to go visit.

I used to go to Mexico twice a year for the Rosarito-Ensenada bike ride. Did that for about 5 years straight. Started out as a lot of fun. But the fun seemed to diminish each time.

The problem was getting hassled by the Federales (teenagers with automatic weapons) and being extorted by the local police.

That was reason enough to stop going down there. Now, with the violence factor, I have absolutely no desire to go to Mexico again.

Besides, I'm only a few miles from Santa Ana. :)

It is a shame......They should legalize drugs and tax the hell out them. It would stop alot of the violence and end the reccession. I used to go to the border towns before I was 21 in Nogales, Laredo and Acuna when I was in the USAF. It was a good time but I wouldn't dare go now.......I want to go to Baja so bad though I am considering flying to Ensenada for the 1000.

Flying is about the safest method of travel right now. I was watching the news the other day on how the Feds discovered a "Zetas" training camp. Weapons and such everywhere, but what caught my eye was how many luxury vehicles where parked in a shed. Problem is, they where all stolen and reported stolen from the U.S.

Back