• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vaccume line where does it go???????????

ufc tapout ufc

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 87 jeep 4x4 4.0 6 cylinder and there is a vaccume line below the coolant bottle on the passenger side coming out of the firewall with another vacumme line next to it the one next to it is black i need to know where the one thats colored goes. i cant tell which color it is since the line is so old.

90xj06 said:
one is the vent line for the 4wd it should be blue. and i hear that there is a black one that vents the case.

I don't think the case vent line is bundled with the vacuum lines. I can't remember for sure now, but I think on my 87 that line came up on the other side of the engine, somewhere over by the brake master cylinder.

Should be 3 vac lines Yellow Green Blue from the X fer case up to a connector
w/same color
If the line coming from the firewall is pinkish in color it is the line that operates the heater control valve....

I have a 87 I think that its the vacuum line to the the bypass valve. Follow the bottom cooling bottle hose down to the heater hose you will see a tee fitting with a vacuum fitting on it there should be a vacuum line on it, if there is none it goes there.

I had one get eaten up by aicd right beside my battery in my 96 XJ... heres some pics to show you what Im talking about:
vaclinegu7.jpg

vacline2dh1.jpg

I dunno if that the same one your talking about but I think it is... I have no idea what it does either but mine has been in 2 pieces for months now...

The pictured one is for cruise control and to the vaccum canister which keeps your ac from going to the default of the defrost vent.

Pioneer84 said:
I have a 87 I think that its the vacuum line to the the bypass valve. Follow the bottom cooling bottle hose down to the heater hose you will see a tee fitting with a vacuum fitting on it there should be a vacuum line on it, if there is none it goes there.

Correction its the upper hose you follow down.:repair:

ufc tapout ufc said:
i have an 87 jeep 4x4 4.0 6 cylinder and there is a vaccume line below the coolant bottle on the passenger side coming out of the firewall with another vacumme line next to it the one next to it is black i need to know where the one thats colored goes. i cant tell which color it is since the line is so old.

On my '88 I have 2 lines. One is black and runs around the relay center then around the battery and disappears into a bundle heading in the the headlight well. I assume this is going to the vacuum bottle. The other one is a beige color and connects to the heater valve.

Zice said:
I had one get eaten up by aicd right beside my battery in my 96 XJ...

I dunno if that the same one your talking about but I think it is... I have no idea what it does either but mine has been in 2 pieces for months now...

I think what the original post was about was the lines for the axle disconnect, a feature happily omitted before 96. On that system, there's a vacuum switch on the transfer case, controlling a vacuum motor on the axle. To allow the diaphragm to move back and forthe there must be a vent line to the outside, and that dead-end line dangles from the firewall next to the engine, looking as if it ought to be connected to something.

Saudade said:
On my '88 I have 2 lines. One is black and runs around the relay center then around the battery and disappears into a bundle heading in the the headlight well. I assume this is going to the vacuum bottle. The other one is a beige color and connects to the heater valve.

Correct I also believe its the heater valve vaccume line. same two vaccume lines comming out from the firewall just below and to the right of the coolent bottle one Black and the other is pinkish on mine the pinkish one goes to the heater valve.
1987 XJ Chief 4.0 6cyl

Back