• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using 4WD

all this nonsense about rangers and xterra's doesn't matter, so let's not even bring up other vehicles.

If you goto jeep's website and look at the 4wd instructions/explanation for the liberty you'll understand everything, as the t-cases are the same systems.

xjnation said:
You should always stop and neutral to put into 4 lo

ask me how I know?:doh:
I didnt mean to engage it at that speed, you're supposed to do it at 2-3mph or so. As far as disengaging it, the only problem i would have is if im still hitting the gas i need to let off and you can hear it disengage.

89Daytona said:
I saw a label in a late 80s Ford Ranger on the sun visor that specifically told you to go into reverse to disengage the 4 wheel drive... I always thought that was kind of strange.

Ford auto-locking hubs do require that you go into reverse to disengage the hubs. I've owned 3 fullsize Broncs, 2 Exploders and 2 Rangers. This reverse unlock method is annoying, I like the live axle and T-case disconnect design of the Jeep much better.

If the tires are evenly inflated and evenly worn, and everything in the system is working as it should, you should be able to shift between 2 high and 4 high without stopping, backing, or even slowing down, and without feeling the transition. However, if the tires are uneven, or if the vacuum motor on a disconnect axle is working very weakly, or both, you might have to do something to take the tension off the drivetrain and allow both the transfer case and the axle disconnect to pop out. It either won't happen or it will happen late, and abruptly.

My 99 shifts back and forth like a champ, being young and healthy. The 95 occasionally delays the shift to 2WD and does it with a little bang unless I back off on the throttle and occasionally even put it into neutral. My old 87, even with new and even tires, never went back without a fight.

89Daytona said:
I saw a label in a late 80s Ford Ranger on the sun visor that specifically told you to go into reverse to disengage the 4 wheel drive... I always thought that was kind of strange.

My roommates 93 ranger says that too... But i believe that its more to get the auto hubs unlocked?:dunno:

Mine is a little finnicky some times. NP242 selectrac.
when I shift into part time 4hi, the light comes on--everything engages right away.
when I shift into full time 4hi, sometimes the full time light will come, other times the part time light will come on, no rhyme or reason it'll just do whatever it feels like. it'll still engage into 4wd right away, just the light seems to take a while to make up it's mind.
when shifting into 4lo, part time light comes on and it engages normally.

I also find it a little "stiff" to shift, I assume this is just the linkage being crudded up, but I havn't really looked into it yet.
What would be causing this problem? I'm not worried about it as I really don't use the full-time 4hi, but I'm just curious why the lights would be wacky sometimes and fine other times?

Last edited:
Back