• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF 12/29 trip report & pics

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Now that was a SNOW run, you suckers missed out!

Rogers camp had about 12", which was very surprising. We only managed to run parts of Powerline and quite a bit of Archers. I think almost everyone got stuck at one point or another. The snow varied from light and dry, to super oatmeal consistency. It was a great day, and great way to end the year.

Pictures and more detailed report will come later. Till then shower and pizza!

It all started with me in a ditch...
IMG_0219.jpg

The wife counted 5 times in the ditch for me. I thought it was more.

Here's the red and white bunch of the group.
IMG_0236.jpg

Here's why they were sitting there.
IMG_0246.jpg

Chainsaw? We don't need no stinking saw...we have a Ninja
IMG_0260.jpg

An action shot. Can't see if he looks like a serial killer Rod.
IMG_0266.jpg

Random shots...
IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0262-1.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

Great fun. I do need to trim a little more on the front though...

looks like a ton of snow. can't wait to get back up there with you guys. Ken the rig looks great! it's come along way real quick. i likey!

on a side note.....lockers aint much fun in the snow huh Ken.

Well, i have pictures....

buuuuuuuut I'm not going to post them tonight. I'm really suprised that noones posted pictures of my stupidity...

Its almost one, I just got my jeep home, it was a complete hell and I'm tired. I'll post them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Alright, I lied. Lets play a game.

Who can guess who they're pulling out, and from where? (Note: That red XJ is Terry, NOT ME, dispite popular belief. I have red flares, he doesn't.)

IMGP1805.jpg

The morning didn't start off good for me. I barely made it up the road to Rogers Camp, and then got stuck in the parking lot. I later came to find out though, that my posilock was out of adjustment so I didnt quite have 4wd. With a quick turn of the knob things suddenly became much easier. The road to Rogers Camp locked up pretty quick with rigs, and one stuck tow rig. 85xj4dr and I were at the parking lot already, but the rest of the group was stuck in the jam. Around 10:00 rigs finally started moving.

Most of the other groups up there went straight for Firebreak 5. We decided to take it easy and see what the conditions were like. We finished the first section of powerline with few problems, and began heading for the second section up the hill. We had some issues towards the top and decided it wouldnt be very smart to try powerline if we couldnt even get up the road. Back down, turn around, and head for the main road.
P1010001.jpg

We then stuck to the main road for awhile and jumped on the third section of powerline. The first climb was a pretty good one.
P1010003.jpg

85xj4dr climbing to the top.
P1010004.jpg

We then came out into the open and found another hill. Junior tried to break trail, but handed it over to Ken and his new 35's. He probably gave it 25 tries, slowly making progress each time, but we decided to save time and turn around.

Junior seconds away from getting stuck. Ken fighting the hill in the background.
P1010006.jpg

Back on the main road we were the first to lay down tracks all the way to Mini Rubicon. First time I have ever seen it snowed in.
P1010007.jpg

...mojo...mojo...mojo... It was calling for you
P1010009.jpg

Our patriotic group.
P1010010.jpg

From Mini Rubicon we made our way around a beached whale, and then eventually to the C-Line road to see how far we could get. That's when we hit the super wet and heavy snow. Aside from a few downed trees, and me getting a little close to the edge we all made it up the road. I noticed I wasnt staying on top of the tracks so I aired down some more. It's amazing what 2-3 psi difference can do.

We played around at the bottom of the rocky uphill part of Archers for awhile. I managed to get through the gatekeeper at the bottom and break trail through it.
P1010015.jpg

Later on right below Canopener after finishing another section of Archers.
P1010016.jpg

From there we stayed on Archers all the way to the Waterfall. A few straps were needed in between, but it went pretty smooth. 85xj4dr decided to to attempt a mud pit with his 4 cylinders of fury. Needless to say he got stuck... really bad (hopefully someone got pictures). When this happened the group was split in half. We were a ways ahead of them and listened to it over the radio. Stuck... really bad... snapped two tow straps... rigs daisy chained together... no progress... need more help. Those of us ahead of them received the message, and turned around to go help. Only problem was we couldn't get back up the hill to reach them. The snow was way to slippery and heavy. Luckily though after awhile they were able to get him out and we all eventually regrouped.

By now it was nearing 4:30 and we were on our way out headed down C-line. 85xj4dr came on the radio and reports he has lost all power to the wheels. Engine is still running but no power to the wheels. He still had steering and brakes so he coasted down to Lyda camp, and I towed him to the highway down South Fork Rd. At the highway him and his passenger grabbed a ride with Terry back to Portland to get a trailer. My prediction is the clutch is packed with mud.

It started out very eventful, and ended the same way! Great day.

I dunno what happend to my clutch. We got my rig back, and still no power to the wheels. I think my cluch went out. Smoking/smelling REALLY bad, gradual loss of power... I don't think its just cause theres alot of mud in there. I do have lots of pictures, showed my dad, he wasn't thrilled...

IMGP1801.jpg

IMGP1807.jpg

IMGP1797.jpg

IMGP1805.jpg

IMGP1803.jpg

one more....

IMGP1799.jpg

I really don't know why I thought I could make it through that.

Thanks to Terry and the other guy who pulled me out, Terry again for pushing me most of the way, and Dustin for pulling me the rest of the way. Mucho Appreciated-o.

Last edited:
Great pics, looked like a fun run.

Don't any of you Oregon folks believe in winches? :D

fubar XJ said:
Great pics, looked like a fun run.

Don't any of you Oregon folks believe in winches? :D

our theory is....if the good lord wants us to have one, he will drop one from the sky, or...... we'll win one in a raffle. :clap:

mojojojo said:
our theory is....if the good lord wants us to have one, he will drop one from the sky, or...... we'll win one in a raffle. :clap:

Ah yes, the infamous raffle.....

I've only won stuff I already have (lights, shackles, straps, tow-hooks) and end up throwing them back in the pile. I "won" my M8000 from 4WP for $500 brand new including roller fairlead, courtesy of the Moonshiner's swap meet. :D

Not as good as free, but a heck of a lot better than $700-$800 I'd planned on spending to pick one up.

You Oregon guys ever get up here for that event? Puyallup fairgrounds in March every year, deals galore on new and used stuff for all makes and models of 4x4's. There's always a ton of complete built rigs for sale too. It's an all-day event, and always a good time.

now its my turn to share. i left my house someware around 8:15am and headed straight there. though i should have stoped at MickieDees for breakfast. oh well, there was wheelin' to be had. traffic was light and i mannaged to pull into the maintanace yard at the turn off to rodgers at around 9:10ish to this sight

dec29TSFsnowrun004.jpg

a very patriotic group. 2 whites, 2 reds, 2 blues
dec29TSFsnowrun007.jpg

snow was so slopy we had to back down this road from 3 turn above them white rigs
dec29TSFsnowrun015.jpg

i was breaking trail up to about ware that blue rig is there. till i started plowing with my bumper. handed off to someone bigger. still gloating about the first climb on that section.
dec29TSFsnowrun017.jpg

when 35s gets stuck its time to turn around
dec29TSFsnowrun026.jpg

on sweet sounding and looking CJ5. ill post a vid later
dec29TSFsnowrun044.jpg

and the stuck
dec29TSFsnowrun051.jpg

dec29TSFsnowrun053.jpg

dec29TSFsnowrun055.jpg

dec29TSFsnowrun057.jpg

dec29TSFsnowrun060.jpg

dec29TSFsnowrun061.jpg

dec29TSFsnowrun069.jpg

here you can get a good view of the hole
dec29TSFsnowrun073.jpg

thats pretty much all i got. was a great day and im glad i made it. must do it again real soon.

Dang that was one of the funnest trips wheelin' i've had.
hopefully you get everything figured out on your jeep so we can wheel some more!
We should plan a run after things get a little less snowy.
where else do you guys wheel at?

Back