• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trouble gettin' to 4lo

BoostedHULK

NAXJA Forum User
my transfer case won't shift into 4lo, but every other gear works fine, it shifts pretty smoothly, the t-case doesn't make any noise that stands out to me. I was thinkin' lever adjustment just because i don't hear any clunking or whining or anything from the t-case and every other gear works great. Any help would be grrrreat! Thanks guys,
Neil

I would say shift linkage as well. Is you jeep lifted any, cause this will cause the linkage to bind as well. Maybe crawl underneath jeep while some one shifts it to see if it is binding. But if theres no clunking or whining shouldn't be nothing serious.

PB blast the linkage

your putting the tranny in Neutral right? When i had a t-case drop i had to fiddle with mine. (linkage was out of alignment) now it shifts okay.

Your 231 is toast:) HOw is that for warm and fuzzy

I'll repost this in 40 min, not this part, maybe

my computer was messed up and havin' some trouble reloading a page, this tab was still opened and it reposted...quick to complain about such meager things, what's the deal?

you'll get that around here...consider it a grumpy sort of 'welcome to the inferno' thing. Anyone who stays long enough at NAXJA is thick-skinned and knows more about XJs than they ought to. Well, most folks.

I agree with the above though, regarding linkage. My old XJ had the same issue and until we got around to replacing the seals on the t/c we never caught it. Since you don't need 4Lo in sand a whole lot, it just wasn't high on the list. *shrugs* The good news is, its not such a hard thing to fix. And if you HAVE got a grenaded t/c, there are kits out there that don't run too much. Oh, and before someone else says it, 'search' button does wonders too.

BoostedHULK said:
my computer was messed up and havin' some trouble reloading a page, this tab was still opened and it reposted...quick to complain about such meager things, what's the deal?

just curious how it happened that long after the first post,that's all.

I had change under the handle on mine, would bend quarters to get it into 4-lo :dunno:

Back