• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trip Report: My vacation in West Virginia

JeepAddict85

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, just got back last night from a GREAT vacation. Left on friday the 3rd, and drove down to West Virginia with my friend Mark. Lots of cool scenery on the drive.

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

We stayed in a hotel friday night, and drove to our friend Rogers house in the morning. We did some wheeling at his house, he's got 100 acres of land, and has cut about 10 miles of trails on his property:

it had rained a bit, so it was SLOPPY!
DSCN0101.jpg

None of us could make it up this creek bed, so Roger winched himself out, then he had to hook up a strap to me, since i still dont have one.
100_0166.jpg

lots of tight trails, mostly made for a wrangler (since thats what Roger has as well)

DSCN0117.jpg

this was a heck of a climb, off camber the whole way up, but i made it:
DSCN0114.jpg

Poser shot!
100_0167.jpg

We stayed one night at rogers, then all three of us loaded up the jeeps and took off. Stopped by this cool dam, built entirely out rocks/dirt.

DSCN0014.jpg

you can see how tall it is, the little specks are cars driving by:
DSCN0017.jpg

from the top:
DSCN0021.jpg

and looking into the lake on the other side:
DSCN0024.jpg

More to come...

Where abouts in WV? I was up in Beckley last weekend...definitely some beautiful scenery in WV!

Glad you made it back and had a great time! Nice pics!!!

Roger lives in Point Pleasant. Sunday we headed out from Roger's and did some wheeling at Swiss...

swiss001.jpg

swiss003.jpg

swiss006.jpg

some pretty cool hills and views, didnt stay there very long though.
swiss011.jpg

From Swiss we went to Class VI River Runners, got a cabin up there. Monday we ran the Lower New River, a Class V rapid. Had an absolute blast doing that, i had never been white water rafting before.

From there we went to Green Bank on tuesday, and stayed at a rustic cabin a friend of roger's let us use. Wednesday we ran some gravel roads/local trails, actually got up about 4,000 ft on some mtns. Then we all packed up and drove to Snow Shoe.

Here's a shot from our place on the Mtn:
DSCN0030.jpg

looks like someone had quite a darn good time!!!

the scenery is incredible man!

The Jamboree started thursday night with registration, there was about 120ish jeeps there...but only 6 cherokees! (dont worry, i was sportin the SEC shirt and raggin on all the wrangler owners) We ran the first trail on Friday. We started with Bear Pin.

Here is our group from the trail:
dscn0035d.jpg

You can see we had another cherokee in the group. His was called the Green Witch...pretty nice setup, on 34's. Even had 2 small stickers on the front fenders of the wicked witch from the wizard of oz.
dscn0037cqt.jpg

Green Witch posing on a rock
dscn0043q.jpg

dscn0052b.jpg

dscn0066c.jpg

dscn0064.jpg

right by the tree i had to give a wrangler a tug up the rest of the rock pile...sadly no pictures of it. my cherokee made it up just fine :thumbup:
1000179o.jpg

here's a better view of the rock garden, it's steeper than it looks, you have to keep up a good amount of momemtum
dscn0649.jpg

ill try to get some videos up as well from fri/sat

hooray for jeep jammy!
looks like it was fun showin' up the TJ/YJ/CJs...

That's a great site to see. Jeeps and more Jeeps!!!

Looks like a fun time man!

Lol

I wanna do something like that in a few years but to Moab. Stay here and there and take like 10 days. Leave Friday and stay where ever for 2 days getting there and wheeling first and middle of the week and take my time coming back seeing the sites.

Ok, here are pics from Day 2 of the Jambo...we ran Corderoy, a tougher trail.

Top of the World, everyone getting in line with the groups they will ride with:

dscn0004b.jpg

dscn0003n.jpg

dscn0001.jpg

dscn0002j.jpg

dscn0005j.jpg

started uploading some of the videos, heres a few from corderoy:

First obstacle of the day, big drop into a mud hole, then a hill climb out:

Roger going first...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuyH6zp80Yg

time to show em how a cherokee does it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa8ITmL7XZk

mark goin...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhQRcsyskFk

less than half of our group made it up without winching...but after all the ragging i got all week for driving a xj...it was nice to show my friends up haha

Last edited:
mark stuck in some ruts...kept shoving him towards a tree as he tried to climb out:
f80a6642.jpg

roger getting some serious flex on a rock:
2c8a1b04.jpg

some of my carnage:
3f0eab89.jpg

leaving the trail:
30c3baeb.jpg

I have lots more videos to post up...

Back