• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tree smashing

athenian71

NAXJA Forum User
Lets get real here... How thick of a tree and estimated height have you been able to plow over and smash to progress into an area you feel you needed to go...Ive smashed 4 inch soft maples at about 30 feet..with lots of bashing... those hard woods are another story...young locust are not to bad but thorn trees sure ruin tires...some areas you just cant bulldoze..get out and fire up the chainsaw....opening up new trails for firewood cutting sure is fun.. next spring its a blast seeing all the stuff you blasted through just to get there...and to check on the lumber you sold and made money from....4x4 rules! I been doing this since 1966 and I still cant get enough of it.....BAM!!!!

athenian71 said:
Lets get real here... How thick of a tree and estimated height have you been able to plow over and smash to progress into an area you feel you needed to go...Ive smashed 4 inch soft maples at about 30 feet..with lots of bashing... those hard woods are another story...young locust are not to bad but thorn trees sure ruin tires...some areas you just cant bulldoze..get out and fire up the chainsaw....opening up new trails for firewood cutting sure is fun.. next spring its a blast seeing all the stuff you blasted through just to get there...and to check on the lumber you sold and made money from....4x4 rules! I been doing this since 1966 and I still cant get enough of it.....BAM!!!!

WTF are you talking about, are you Effin Drunk??

I accidentally ran into a yucca tree once and it cried... so now I refrain from destroying plants. What did the tree do to you?

Theres nothing more fun than firing up the turbine, traversing the main gun over the rear deck, closing the hatches and blowing thru a good stand of 30ft pines at 40 mph....

Did ya know, trees can feel pain? I'd rather run over college students... at least they're guilty of something (or of they are not yet, they will be someday) and they can flee, for an extra challenge.

woody said:
Did ya know, trees can feel pain?

Hippie tree hugger?:bs:

Anyway, I hope this is on your own land. If not I hope you dont get any trails closed because of this. That would suck for the rest of us.

RichP said:
Theres nothing more fun than firing up the turbine, traversing the main gun over the rear deck, closing the hatches and blowing thru a good stand of 30ft pines at 40 mph....
Been there done that, nothing more impressive than 30 foot pines flying through the air. I once watched a 8-10" thick pine go straight up and land right in the loaders hatch. Nobody got hurt, it was funny.
I was on manuver and had a platoon of Rangers try to sneak up on my tank in the middle of the night, I chased them back out of the woods with the tips of thirty foot pine trees slapping them in the ass. It was great entertainment.

It doesn't hurt much to plow through the underbrush (the underbrush that is, it can puncture tires and hole radiators and generally tear up an XJ) it actually promotes tree growth. But you have to use common sense.
Driving the XJ and the trailer to the fire wood sure beats trying to cut and carry it back to the trailer.
The going rate for a cubic yard of hardwood split and dried, around here is is near $90-$100. I often drag my son out to cut firewood, so we have some fun money in the bank for summer. Besides a wood cutting permit is a good way to get in some good wheeling legally and tone up the old muscles (why pay for a gym).
One cubic yard of wood is roughly equal (in BTU's) to a fifty five gallon drum of heating oil. A renewable resource. I only cut cultivated trees or sick old growth. They often plant trees thicker than they should, to allow for die off of the young trees. They often need to be thinned, when they get near middle growth.
If bark beetles get into a stand of pine, the cure is to cut the wood and let it lay and rot. Bark beetles only live in live trees. Firewood works for me. Also after a big storm, there are often blown down trees.
I try to stay out of the woods in the mid to late spring and summer. Late fall and winter when the ground is frozen, is a good time to cut wood anyway, less sap. I often cut trees into 15-20 foot lengths and snake them near a road or trail to be picked up and cut in the early spring or fall.

Last edited:
I can relate somewhat to what Athenian71 is talking about, as well what 8Mud posted. I too, work up firewood for my winter heating. The Wood Furnace I have, while heating the house, also heats the garage where my hobby resides.

I generally only cut during the winter months. For years, I used an old DC Case Tractor in the woods/woodlot to get to where I cut. Now I use my XJ most of the time ... the winch is real handy. Oftentimes, getting there requires that you have to drive over small trees and through briars (here Multifloral Rose and Blackberry). Mother Nature does not provide access roads in the woods. I've gone over 2-3" diameter trees before ... it does a little damage to them, but they usually survive and continue to grow. If one uses some common sense, the impact getting to the wood is offset by the benefits of removing damaged/diseased timber.

The thing that has the most negative impact is rutting. This starts erosion and can do much more damage. Another reason I like cutting when the ground is frozen.

Les

athenian71 said:
Misc-Do_not_feed_the_trolls.jpg

Chainsaw lightly

Back