• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Blew!!! HELP!

might try draining that extra four qts. and test it again. check the drained atf too. Might try a search - seems like there was something about the aw4 will run in a gear or two with the electric disconnected, testing that way would make sure the trans alone is problem. best regards and Good Luck.

k ill try that. so i just went to check out the 94 trans, the only thing is that its missing the torque converter. should i take the chance and put the one i have on mine onto that one? what are the chances of mine being bad?

If I remember correctly, the torque converter is like less than 100 bucks new (or rebuilt). It's been a few years.
Did you drain and check the fluid for water? Just an idea to see what really happened to it so it doesn't happen again. Rare for a mid mileage tranny to puke out without some help. So cheap to just put a junk yard or cheaper for a craigslist find. Good luck!
Tim.

na i havent drained it yet. when i checked the fluid this morning i smelt the end of the dip stick. it was the worst burnt smell ive ever experienced hahaha. ya i just got a trans for 125 on craglist so i might as well buy a new torque converter.

ya buy a new converter cuse you dont want to run all the crap from the old smoked trans in the new one and get some kind of trans line/cooler flush or new cooler/lines

im thinking that if i put the old converter on and the trans still doesnt work, then odds are the main thing wrong with the original is the torque converter. It just means id have to take the tranny apart again, but its worth it if i can salvage the old tranny for use as a "back up" i think ill use the old converter and if i still cant get any gears to function, ill be spending a lil more time in the shop lol. thanks for all your posts guys, i appreciate it!

Think about that again..

Like ceb posted above...if there is debris in your TC and it gets to the new trans valve body there goes another trans. Personally i would look for a trans that comes with a torque convertor.

what if i take the TC apart and give it a nice clean??? i cant beat the $125 he wants for it. i talked hijm down from 200 since it didnt come with the TC.

basically none of the junk yards have the tran i need. they say "we can order you one, for $800" and i say "f**k that!" so im desperate and am lonely without my jeep. Ive been having to ride my street bike and that isn't a lot of fun when its raining outside lol. ill just e a rebel and take my chances. overland if you say it would be a good idea to clean the TC ill be doing that.

How far are you from Temecula,Ca?

Heres an AW-4 with comparable mileage to your rig. If it comes with a TC it may be a better purchase than the one your considering.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-classifieds-corner/243499-1980-lhd-hj47-troopy.html

There may be more transmissions listed in the SoCal chapter classifieds.

I'm no expert on TC's, please dont take my opinion as fact. I'v seen exploded pics of torque convertors and they look like a turbine to me in a way, i would imagine it could be very difficult to clean debris out completely. And what doesnt come out you can bet could be moved once it is put in operation. If it does you could be out the $125 you invested in the trans... and end up with the same issue. I personally wouldnt attempt this from the little i know of transmissions. Maybe call a rebuilder in your area and ask for a pro's opinion?

If it were me i'd be looking here and elsewhere for someone parting a Jeep and try to get a trans and convertor that was known to be operational.

260 miles from temecula, bout 4 and a half hours. ya ill check out the listings, thanks again overland. ill keep ya posted on what ends up happening. If i do end up using the old one, i am irish. which is good cuz ill have the luck of the irish on my side :p

I can price shipping one to you we have about 10 or 12 trans with TC at the company I work for (a wrecking yard) we have shipted them before. you can get a warranty also.

its an idea. how much for the trans and shipping?

Back