• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans swap from auto to manual

Rocketeer14

NAXJA Forum User
If I were to swap my auto out for a stock manual out of another xj what would also have to be changed? Drive shaft, center council, etc. Also would I have to use a trans from another 98 or could it be 84-01?

Stay away from the AX5 or any other early stick. The AX15 or the NV 3550 h0lds up well. or do a little suffing and find NEAR drop-ins with better then 8 to 1 first. (big bucks)
The later 15s use the external slave but the internal does give good serves just more work when you do need to replace them.

http://naxja.org/forum/search.php search button will be you best friend on this one. im sure theres plenty of stuff out there. we would need your year, motor, tcase etc to give you any real help

He said he has a '98 auto so I'd assume he has an AW4 with an NP242 TC. Any AX15 or NV3550 with an NP231 TC would do, so it would be better to source those items together with the rear driveshaft, pedal assembly, clutch assembly, flywheel, slave cylinder, hydraulic clutch fluid line, and master cylinder from the same vehicle.

You will also want an ECM out of manual XJ as well, so you do not get the CEL.

Back