• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing question

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
Does the cherokee weigh in at around 4k lbs? My dad is on the verge of buying a new truck (nissan frontier v6) with a tow package. The towing ability is rated at 6,500lbs. Would the weight of the cherokee and a uhaul car hauler exceed the towing capacity?

actually the XJ is closer to 3k lbs. (3,111 - 3,153 lb depending on model) the U-haul car hauler is "Empty weight: 2,210 lbs" according to U-haul website specs , so with both you'd be around 5,500 lbs, i dont know how the nissan tows but its probably gonna feel like dragging an anchor with that v6

hope this helps,
KP

any xj is going to tip the scales closer to 4k, built and loaded with gear its well over, and any trailer is going to be around 2k do the mathe and your already at your capacity, then factor in any extra gear and 2 people in the tow vhicle and your pushing well over. also the 1/4 ton trans and brakes and light weight would make me REALLY nervous, plus towing with a v6 your foot will be on the floor all the time and itll kill it on hills....... in a nutshelll, if it were mine, i wouldnt tow an xj with it, its not what its meant to do and to do so would be pushing the safety limits... just my .02 cents

the u-haul trailers have surge brakes, which are usually out of adjustment, and semi-moderate at best, i used to have a 2000 frontier with the v6 and auto trans, i used to tow a suzuki samurai with it on a 16 ft trailer, it did surprisingly well with that, but, i dont think i would tow an xj behind one, but, if i had to, i would get a different trailer than a u-haul, and make sure it had GOOD electric brakes on it

thanks for all the input guys. i don't mean to change the subject... but bgwyllys61 could you post a couple pics of your rig? it looks sick.

apparently yota's dont tow well...
whoauhaul.jpg

and heres a click along animation on how it happened http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la061807trailersway-f,0,5189193.flash

Last edited:
When I went tow rig shopping I figured on at least a 7k rating for occasional towing of a XJ. 5k for the Jeep and 2k for a good trailer. We bought the Hemi Commander which has more than enough power but is a little short and needs a weight distributing hitch to bring the rear up. Anything short of a 3/4 or 1 ton full size truck is going to be less than comfortable to tow with.

I've towed a 2 cherokee's and a comanche with my Hemi Commander (not at the same time). It towed them well. I did almost loose the Comanche though. The Comanche didn't have any shocks on it and the nose of the trailer was in the air (due to the lift). My Commander has a 2" lift and 33's on it. I now have an adjustable drop hitch.

I've towed a 2 cherokee's and a comanche with my Hemi Commander (not at the same time). It towed them well. I did almost loose the Comanche though. The Comanche didn't have any shocks on it and the nose of the trailer was in the air (due to the lift). My Commander has a 2" lift and 33's on it. I now have an adjustable drop hitch.

A friend of mine tows his M37 Power Wagon trail rig with his Hemi Commander with ease. That was my final decision maker to get the XK. I was trying to keep up with him in the mountains on the way to a ride. My trail rig was screaming and he was leaving me behind like it was nothing. I bought a XK the next week.

Anything short of a 3/4 or 1 ton full size truck is going to be less than comfortable to tow with.

im gonna kindly dispute that, a well set up 1/2 ton will comfortably tow what a vehicle. my 1/2 ton chevy does great, it makes it better due to the fact that its a real fullsize and i have decent trailer brakes, the 5.3 has enough power to comfortably maintain speed and its weight makes it stable... i wouldnt use it to make a living towing things but for the few times that i tow the heep it does really well..... also my previous two suburbans that ive owned (95 and 97) both towed very well, well enough that i would recommend towing with one since they can be had for a decent price nowadays

im gonna kindly dispute that, a well set up 1/2 ton will comfortably tow what a vehicle. my 1/2 ton chevy does great, it makes it better due to the fact that its a real fullsize and i have decent trailer brakes, the 5.3 has enough power to comfortably maintain speed and its weight makes it stable... i wouldnt use it to make a living towing things but for the few times that i tow the heep it does really well..... also my previous two suburbans that ive owned (95 and 97) both towed very well, well enough that i would recommend towing with one since they can be had for a decent price nowadays

X2 my 1/2 ton 2006 GMC Z71 tows very well with the 5.3

although i have a slight advantage, i have a 5 3/4 shortbed on extended cab(very rare option), so it weighs in at just under 5k lbs, mine meets the criteria for passenger cars, so i dont have to register it as a truck (extra fees in some states)

Last edited:
actual tow rating for this frontier is 7200 not 6500. kgp how much can your truck tow?

Back