• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow bar

92XJT

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't see any other section that this would apply so figured give my own area a shot. Anyone ever see those tow bars featured on ebay - found one for 35 bucks plus 35 shipping? Looks good but priced ones locally and they are aroudn 125. Also to go with towing is it good enough to put t-case in neutral or should I do something else? Longest distance will be only an hour at the most on the highway.

I remember seeing a section in my jeep owners manual that stated how to do it. I think alls you have to do (like you said) is put the tcas in neutral and start it every sooften. if noone post up all quote it to you in the morning.

i have an actual bracket that is ment for flat towing a XJ (its for sale pm me with an offer) the ones you see on ebar is just the bar, and some cheap brackets that are ment to bolt up to i dont know what...but the bracket I have is able to get some nice tugs

That doesn't tie into any reinforced part of the chassis... I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a beefy aftermarket bumper.

short answer: yes. Jeeps with an NP231 style transfer case need only be put in neutral to flat tow. also, keep the key in the column and unlock the steering wheel so it can turn on its own as the tower turns.

I have a tow bracket ment for the xj with proper towing points if any one wants to see post pics for me I can email them

Hey Red I haven't forgotten about ya - still trying to decide what to spend my money on. Kinda leaning towards my front install kit and carrier first, but not sure. Rumor is they are selling the company I work for so a lot of things are up in the air. Did get the pics - thanks

magnum CJ said:
short answer: yes. Jeeps with an NP231 style transfer case need only be put in neutral to flat tow. also, keep the key in the column and unlock the steering wheel so it can turn on its own as the tower turns.
If your junk is lifted and you have any vibes, you might want to think about disconnecting the drive shafts.
When I flat towed mine to Moab in '03, I did that and just wired the free ends up to the underside.

seanR said:
If your junk is lifted and you have any vibes, you might want to think about disconnecting the drive shafts.
When I flat towed mine to Moab in '03, I did that and just wired the free ends up to the underside.

That's what I used to do as well, before I got a full size tow rig and trailer.

The tow bar your're looking at is called an A-Frame- You'll have to drill through your stock bumper and bolt the tow brackets on, this kind of bar will work I have towed a Tj for thousands of miles, both T-Case and Trans in neutral and with the battery disconnected. I know of course you have thought of a set of magnetic tow lights to hook up to your tow vehicles tow harness right? Know that another 6 cyl will tow your Jeep but good luck stopping it in a hurry, you need a vehicle similar to F-250 or a moterhome that can stop a substantial load. I know you're thinking I'll drive very safely Missouri and keep always looking ahead, well you can't read minds so you have no idea where a quick stopping circumstance may come from. Without a good strong tow vehicle you will be endangering a lot of lives.
Oh and also check the bolts on the tow bar always!!! I lost one somewhere between here and Virginia without knowing and I check at every stop, but flat towing with a motorhome gives me lots of miles in between checks.
Good luck to you and be safe not sorry.

missouri

Yeah my only concern is the thinness of the bumper - I like the part red 01 has for sale, and would make me a little safer towing the xj. Already have the magnetic lights, and the tow rig is my fullsize ram so that should do all right. If I do get something like that tow bar, again will just be local stuff - feel safer for longer distances on a trailer, and that way if I do break something major I can still get i home - lol. Thanks for all the feedback.

Back