• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Wrench

Got my Craftsman clicker from my Dad when he passed. Thought I would be in great shape. It broke and not deal at Sears. Went to Home Depot and got a Husky for $89. Looks good and works great!

I know, I know, but my Harbor Freight clicker matches torque with my buddy's snap on. It was like $20.00 on sale. I got the 1/2" and an adapter for 3/8.
It probably won't last as long as his, but I don't use it that often.

So I guess I need to buy a nice Torque wrench... But I'm broke.

Next week I'll be into some big repairs that will include re-installing the cylinder head . I already have a $20 harbor frieght torque wrench. How well will it work for a critical job like this? Should I spend the rest of my grocery $$ on a nicer wrench? Would a craftsman beam wrench for $35 be any improvement?

Thanks

I duno I have always had a clicker only time I use a beam is to check preload or drag resitece on rear ends trannys etc. I just bought the new Snap on digital it's sick It vibrates and beeps then tells you what touurque to the in poind you hit. Great tool bad price. $400 but I use it everday at work so I try to justify it that way

I use the good ole beam style ones from sears. ( http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00944690000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Torque+Wrenches&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes ) got it on sale back when i used to work there. Its the only one with the lifetime warranty, they dont warranty the clickers though. Works fine for me. And aloha, when i torque my tires, you simply use the 4 way till it gets a little tight, then you use the torque wrench. I dont think it takes too much more work, maybe a half rev if that....but either way i havent had a problem with it yet and you cant beat it for the price and warranty.

If you are going to do a lot of wrenching get the clicker, that is what all the pros use

Not where I work they don't, we build race engines and clickers are not nearly as accurate.

They are allowed to use a clicker for initial torque but must use a beam wrench for final torque.

Back