• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticked off over PA Flair Laws? - You CAN change them!

XJack

NAXJA Forum User
Any PA registered vehicle running ANY extended flairs in PA are currently breaking the law, and some have gotten pinched or failed inspections for it.

PA Inspection code:
175.8 (6)
(ii) v, states "Reject if: The fenders are not of a type, or size used as original equipment.
(v) The fender flares exceed 3" in width."

A member of our club has been working a 3-year battle in PA to get the laws changed, and we NEED your help!

Here is the thread from Erie Jeep People.

In March of 2003, I began a quest to change the fender flare width regulation. I have been working with my State Representative, Dick Stevenson (R-Grove City). There are many 4WD owners in PA - and most of them are hampered by the current regulation: flares can be no more than 3" wide and tires cannot stick out past the flares. Since tires cannot touch suspension components, either - ORV owners are limited to run the stock tires and wheels.

We've been navigating our way through the bureaucratic waters of PennDOT for a long time and we are almost there. The final step is to prove to PennDOT that the change is necessary and needed in the Commonwealth.

While they admit that the 3" width is arbitrary, they don't want to change it until they see some statistics showing that it is something they should pursue.

Here is what I need: If you have a short story about getting warned - or better yet, ticketed - please send me your short story so I can compile them for my report. If you have a copy of the ticket, please scan it (feel free to black out personal info). E-mail your info to [email protected].

Don't go into details about how the cop was a jerk, etc, etc. Keep it short and simple, please. Include your name if you are so inclined.

If you are a member of another off-road board (anywhere across the state) please pass this request along. This isn't a Jeep-specific issue! Feel free to post the link to the original thread listed at the top. Please let me know where you posted it, so I can keep track of our efforts.

Last edited:
Back