• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throwing me for a spin

93jeepcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Well this last weekend I replaced my exhaust manifold, came out smooth went back in just as quick. Then when I had wrapped everything up I went to start it up, thinking this was a wam bam thank-you mam, it doesn't start. Well after a little staring contest I put the gas pedal to the floor and turn it over and it starts. I was like cool, let it run for about 15minutes so the new gasket could seal good. And turn it off. So I try to start it again with no gas and nothing just cranking over. Tried giving it gas again and now luck. The next day I decide to start again, and it only starts with gas for the first time I turn it over. So I said no big deal I can wheel like that (trying to head out this weekend) but this time it dies. So I have checked spark multiple times and that's good. I have 35psi at the fuel rail. Replaced tps sensor. And not sure were to go now. Also I have either never noticed or this is a new problem too, but the intake manifold seems to be crazy hot!? Any help would be great, I will be on here all night since I am trying to leave by tomorrow at noon. So feel free to ask all the questions you have.

Thanks

Also the times I have been able to get it to run it has a ton of hesitation when you give it throttle. And I forgot to mention I literally just put in a new fuel filter

I just replaced my manifold also and had the same problem. My IAC rusted (I lived 2 blocks from the ocean) because it has sat for a long time. Are you sure all of your sensors are and all of your vacuum lines are connected? Is it throwing any codes? Can you get it to idle at all and if it does what is it idling at? My new manifold seems to be crazy hot also and a lot of weird smells are coming from it on the first few start ups. Mine is the APN header from ineedparts.com.

Mine is currently idling around 1100 and wants to lunge when I let off the brakes from a stop. This weekend I have a new IAC, MAP, and coolant temp sensor ready to go in. I'll let you know if any of these fix it.

i know you said you plugged in all the sensors, but are you SURE you got the MAF? i only ask because i had the same problem when i did my head gasket. my buddy saw it dangling and said "WHATS THIS?!?! WHAAATTSS THIISS!!!???". i felt a little sheepish.

Sounds like you didn't clean the surfaces fully or the manifolds didn't seat properly and there are gaps around the bottoms of the ports, which explains the high idle.

Make sure you have all your sensors (O2 sensor? MAP?) plugged in.

Back