• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking of relocating, haven't decided where.

xjfrank

NAXJA Forum User
My wife and I are about sick of the Washington DC area and have no desire to raise our daughter here. We love hiking camping jeeping. I'm a software developer with some decent experience on my resume.

I don't want to live anywhere where hurricanes hit.

Where would you go? Why?

Thanks in advance all,
Frank

im thinking about the salt lake city utah / colorado springs areas. both sound excelent to me. as you said i also have no desire to live in massachusetts or at leaced this part of it.

p.s. this may be better posted in the off topic section :)

Good luck finding jobs that pay anywhere close to what you can pull down around there. Here in Colorado, the going rate for a programmer has dropped $35k in the last 4 years. Lots of jobs at $50k

hey old man, let me ask you a question...

how is technology in general over there? Im looking for a network administration job for like a college/buisness.. got all the tech certs..

love colorado area. perfect place for me (i hope)

It has been tight as heck for three years. It is just starting to loosen up a bit but there were almost 10,000 high tech layoffs here along the front range.

California: norcal area. There are development jobs there, there is silicon valley, there is Yosemite and there is Rubicon, Dusy Ershim, Swamp and much more for wheeling.

I've always wanted to jump Rockville and So. Natick Falls with a jet-drive speedboat... do you have rescue skills for part time work?

<edit> for helix...natick was next door to my growing up turf.

oh yea?

before the edit i was like... wtf... natick? my natick? haha jumpin it would be so fun

Both my wife and I moved to middle Tennessee before we met...her from Connecticut and me from Iowa via Michigan.

I think it is perfect south of Nashville. I can be in downtown Nashville in 20 minutes, I can be out in the farmland in about 5 minutes. We are 3 hours from the Smoky Mountains/Tellico, can be in Atlanta in 4 hours, St. Louis in 5, and Chicago in 8. Nashville is within 500 miles of nearly 50% of the US population.

Southwest flies out of Nashville, so there are always reasonable flights. We have 3 interstates that converge in the city, so we can always drive someplace easily.

We get into the 90s in the summer and down into the 30s in the winter, but rarely put up with snow, and rarely hit 100 degrees.

Sooo...all that, plus it is a bonus that it is the home of country music. At least a bonus for me.

Good luck in your decision!

old_man said:
...Lots of jobs at $50k

That's still way more than what I make, but at least in CO they're not yet to CA housing prices.... yet. I'd go for Ventura county in CA, which didn't boom and bust like Silicon Valley did.

Last edited:
xjfrank said:
My wife and I are about sick of the Washington DC area and have no desire to raise our daughter here. We love hiking camping jeeping. I'm a software developer with some decent experience on my resume.

I don't want to live anywhere where hurricanes hit.

Where would you go? Why?

Thanks in advance all,
Frank

Come on over, let's go wheeling. :wave:

Dont come to Texas, it sucks ! (sorry guys)
I grew up in so. California (San Diego) and miss the weather but Montrose,Colorado is where I wanna be.
It's near the BEAUTIFUL San Juan's and Moab is just a few hours away.
(not to mention all the other 4-wheelin/camping opportunities it has to offer)
check out the link for the San Juan's......
http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html
http://www.montrose-colo.com/
(looking west from the hills just east of Montrose)
Picture007a.jpg

(looking south from the same spot. Mt. Sneffels 14,150 ft (San Juans) in the background, the tallest on the right)
Picture002.jpg

(sorry.... iam board)

Last edited:
xjfrank said:
Where would you go? Why?

Thanks in advance all,
Frank

Where: Arizona :sunshine:

Why: Noboby likes Californians:dunno:

Why don't you come a little south to Harrisonburg VA? Around 40,000 population and growing......still has the small town feel. I hear yah on DC completely. We have a lot of good schools here.

If you want a really nice place to move, look towards the Texas Hill Country. It's a really nice place to raise a family. We have almost zero natural disasters. No earthquakes, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, and very minimal flooding. Maybe you could expand your range, almost anywhere within 50-70 miles of San Antonio is nice. As far as jobs, San Antonio would be your best bet. The prime thing that South Central Texas doesn't have to offer is many OHV areas. There's Devils Den in San Antonio, but not many other places.

I'd rather be in Colorado, though.

I myself am in the middle of a transition, although I would like to stay in Canada, I will not rule out relocating to the USA!

There are many resources avalible for people to accsess, if ya don't ask, your answer will not get answerd. If you are doing a job search, do not over look anything, alot of placement agencies have many resources to help assist you in attaining a new career change..

Try sites such as these help you ; www.adecco.com

Jeff

Depends on how far you want to go, the Harrisburg/camphill area of Pa is pretty nice, about 2 hours west of where I am. Quite a few NA and SA jobs out there that pay pretty decent. Housing is not outrageous, property is very reasonable and building your own house keeps the price under $100K for 2200sq ft. Insurance is relatively cheap for cars, CCW is easy, good hunting and fishing. One of the other advantages is that NYC and broadway shows are doable as well as stuff in philly.

Knoxville, TN is opening up. The university is expanding a whole lot and property prices are still very reasonable, but are starting to grow at silly rates. The place is in the mountains, not too high though so the seasons are pretty temperate. Summers have been unseasonably warm though. 3 hours from Tellico, 30 minutes from Windrock, parks and woods and fields just about everywhere, a solid downtown, and an "old city" that is undergoing gentrification right now.

Only problem with puters is that you'd have to compete with a market glutted with recent (cheap) college students.

Salt Lake works, 4 hours to Moab, 90 minutes to Real Beer(Wyo), 90 minutes to Gambling(Nev). 30 minutes to camping, fishing, hunting. Novell, Micron ,2 Universities 20 minutes away(+/- traffic). Back yard views of 11K mountain peaks, Me:D

oh ya, and Heavens Front porch..... :laugh3:

Back