• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thermostat

Why would I try a 180 degree when my 195 degree thermostat is working fine?

Also, pretty sure the bypass valve mentioned is the little hole with the partially crimped rivet through it, helps with bleeding/burping the system and also makes it so the thermostat opens faster when it reaches the right temperature by allowing slight fluid flow even when the thermostat is closed.

Lemme know when you find that bypass valve on ur Y2K XJ, I've been looking for one on mine for the past 9 years or so... Oh and how come none of you guys have tried using a slightly lower temp Tstat? I switched to a 180 unit, no hole drilled in it was the Napa brand and I did it when I had the old 0331 cylinder head replacement sage as a preventative measure, my heat comes on fine, nice and toasty and the temp hovers right around the 200 mark unless I'm on extended highway cruise when it seems to settle just a bit to the left of that, my MPG seems normal, no emmisions problems with around 80K miles on this mod and my otherwise stock engine, stock replacement radiator and OEM waterpump still...

+10, did the 180F t-stat in our '98 XJ, excellent results. I believe the coolant bypass is internal in the water pump.

hi, i am having heating issues with my 1989 jeep cherokee 4.0 limited.\

she is fine on the flat lands but in the steep grades.. starts to heat up, and when i slow down... going up hill..

kicking on the ac so the electric fan clicks on bring it back down..
but i only do that just a for a few minutes ~

i was told the reservoir bottle is only to be half full.. i just read to have it full? does that help?

i notice now i have to burp the lower radiator hose when i take the ( put the volvo cap on the napa bottle) cap off and put any radiator fluid in,
so having the full reservoir help the air pocket issues?
( last year new radiator new thermostat hoses was great , the oil change and she over heated... had thermostat housing changed out, but didnt go away...( mechanic was tryingot push a head gasket leak but she passed smog and was fine, no smoke no anti freeze smell no oil in the collant etc... replaced with volvo cap was great till bottle cracked adn she was over heating.. so babied her replaced bottle..first one was bad..
now she is good in the flats, but hit grade and even if in third and ambiant temps is a little warm. need to also replace teh fan clutch ~ it pulls air but is very loose when i spin it hardly any resistance, cant afford the jeep fan clutch, , i bought the napa one

if i have an air bubble i the heater core as someone suspected, how do i flush it? read conflicting post on this. the mopar thermostat with the holes sounds great! old race care driver suggested i put those holes into the tstat was going to buy the jeep onto replace whatever napa one is in there now ( they are all out and on back order up here) ~ thanks for the feedback and input :worship:

ok old racer builder suggested the 180 tstat!, but then a chrysler jeep dealer mechanic said it would open too soon and not cool the engine, i think this sounds logical! and might solve or help my grade towing heat issues.. i changed the park plugs from nkg's to champions recommended and her normal running temp went from 185-190- to 205 210...
so the 180 tstat! add holes ... thoughts? valued opinions please :)

Back