• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

There's an APP for that

I like Ballistic for calculations. It has a much more polished interface. I don't use it in the field, just to get me in the ballpark as far as what to expect.

Unless it can recalculate trajectory and impact based on the individual load data, I doubt it would be very accurate. Can it use sectional density and bullet profile as part of its calculations?

Yeah, except under real field use when your conditions are constantly changing. *yawn*

:D

Knights Armament said:
Uses GPS to locate nearest weather station and then automatically gets weather data and altitude for ballistic computation.

There's not much that can change besides the range and wind.

Unless it can recalculate trajectory and impact based on the individual load data, I doubt it would be very accurate. Can it use sectional density and bullet profile as part of its calculations?

It does have individual load data. You can create your own round profile or use programed ones.

It even adjusts the calculations to the angle your rifle is at automatically.

This thing is cool yeah snipers used to it probably wont need it but it would be helpful for new ones.

Last edited:
Version 2.0 Features
Built-in profiles for common military rifles, but easily add more custom profiles.
Accurate bullet database with most major brands.
3000 meters range (2000 using simple screen).
Fast and accurate ballistic computation using G1, G7, or G8 ballistic coefficients.
Easy to use interface yet powerful and full featured. All relevant data on screen all at once.
User interface designed to minimize chance of input errors.
"Simple Screen" with distance wheel, but also "Full" screen where any exact range may be used.
Output in inches, cm, MOA, Mils, and scope clicks.
Option for Meteric units. In most cases imperial and metric are visible at the same time.
Direct input for scopes with either MOA or mRad metric input (such as Schmidt & Bender).
Calculates 360 degree wind drift using either degree of O'Clock format input.
Wind speed may be specified in either miles-per-hour or meters-per-second.
Advanced atmospheric model.
Uses GPS to locate nearest weather station and then automatically gets weather data and altitude for ballistic computation.
Sight-in weather may be logged and stored for automatic normalization to standard conditions. So you may sight in at any temperature or altitude and later be accurate at any other temperature or altitude.
Built-in accelerometer will detect angle for improved accuracy.
Computes actual BCs from collected data. Some users will do this for each log of ammo before a mission.
Built-in mil-dot range calculator.
Calculates bullet twist / stability wtih a highly-accurate formula.
Computes bullet spin drift.

Um, wind speed, temperature, etc. can have a big effect on the path a bullet takes. a strong wind can easily move your impact point more than a minor range miscalculation.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take any more expensive and fragile things with me than are required for what I'm doing-gear gets heavy in a hurry, and seemingly trivial weights add up fast.

Looks cool. I would use it. But I am not a Marine Scout Sniper like some other people here...

Tacticool--->
bulletflight-images-pic1-tm.jpg

Let's see how that would work in the real world:

Got the target.
Laz the target.
Enter range,
Phone rings. Incoming call. Ignore incoming call.
Estimate wind speed.
Enter win,....
Phone rings. - incoming text. Ignore incoming text
What was I doing,.... oh yea, enter wind speed.
Measure temperat,... F**K!
Phone rings. - Incoming text. OK(dammit!) read text:
Text from girlfriend: "Why didn't you reply to my text?"
Read first text:
Text from girlfriend: "Why didn't you answer my call?" Think to self: "I'M F**KING BUSY"
What was I doing,.... oh yea, get current temp.
Enter tempe,.... OH JESUS H CHRIST ON A CRUTCH!
Text from girlfriend: "Why are you ignoring me? What did I do to deserve this? Please call"

Look down range: target out of sight.

I wonder if AT&T has coverage in Afghanistan? God I hope not.

That's why I'm on a deer lease with no cell reception :)

Phone stays in the truck while hunting. Although I will admit it's fun as hell walking through a field with a bluetooth earpiece in while shooting at quail. "Oh hell, a covey, hang on a sec....*blam blam...YEAH!*...OK, what were you saying?" :D:D:D

Let's see how that would work in the real world:

Got the target.
Laz the target.
Enter range,
Phone rings. Incoming call. Ignore incoming call.
Estimate wind speed.
Enter win,....
Phone rings. - incoming text. Ignore incoming text
What was I doing,.... oh yea, enter wind speed.
Measure temperat,... F**K!
Text from girlfriend: "Why didn't you reply to my text?"
Read first text:
Text from girlfriend: "Why didn't you answer my call?" Think to self: "I'M F**KING BUSY"
What was I doing,.... oh yea, get current temp.
Enter tempe,.... OH JESUS H CHRIST ON A CRUTCH!
Text from girlfriend: "Why are you ignoring me? What did I do to deserve this? Please call"

Look down range: target out of sight.

I wonder if AT&T has coverage in Afghanistan? God I hope not.

Lol that's probably about right :D

Um, wind speed, temperature, etc. can have a big effect on the path a bullet takes. a strong wind can easily move your impact point more than a minor range miscalculation.
Read much?
Yes and that is why it gets the weather conditions and enter in the wind speed.

Last edited:
Lol that's probably about right :D
Every cell phone I've ever handled (this'll sound crazy, I know)has a phone built into it. Every one I've handled defaults to phone mode for any incoming message. My current one has a great calender function. Nothing like putting half of an appointment/reminder in, and having the phone ring.

Phone stays in the truck while hunting,...
Which is what I would do, defeating the purpose of a ballistics computer built into a phone.

I don't know, a range table taped to the side of the stock, and a mil-dot reticle will take me out past 600yds. 'Never been in a situation where I needed more range that that.

My I don't know about Iphones but my g1 the apps can stop phone calls from interupting. Still funny though :D.

I believe this is for ranges more then hunting.

Every cell phone I've ever handled (this'll sound crazy, I know)has a phone built into it. Every one I've handled defaults to phone mode for any incoming message. My current one has a great calender function. Nothing like putting half of an appointment/reminder in, and having the phone ring.

Which is what I would do, defeating the purpose of a ballistics computer built into a phone.

I don't know, a range table taped to the side of the stock, and a mil-dot reticle will take me out past 600yds. 'Never been in a situation where I needed more range that that.
This makes sense to me. Knowing your holdovers and being able to do it with your scope is more useful in most field situations. I remember an article in Precision Shooting a while ago where they were discussing small caliber varminting rounds, and there were a bunch of guys out using various cartridges. One of them was a "tactical" shooter and for every shot he'd range the critter and then dial in windage and elevation before taking the shot. Half the time the critter left before he could get all of his calculations and adjustments done. The author pointed out that the guys who were good with holdovers got far more hits than the tactical guy who spent more time fiddling than he did shooting.

My .223AI will take me out to ~775 yards with just the holdovers afforded by my mil-dot scope and a 100 yard zero.

Last edited:
Back