• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The low-down on RE spring rates.

They are a lot longer spring and will give you the 7.5 lift, you have to remember that the spring rate is based on compressed inches so every inch that they are compressed the rate increases 200lbs

Guys, it's bad ju ju to put prices down that he quoted you (when they're WAY below RE's advertised price minimum even with shipping)....if RE sees that they'll whack his willie.

Since I'm no longer an RE dealer, I feel comfortable giving ya'll the heads up without looking like I'm sellin something :peace:

RJ

Crash,
Whats the e-mail address of Performance Offroad Center. Google didn't pull up anything that seemed like it?

Thanks

Fullsizexj said:
who's selling anything, we are talking spring rates

Crash posted what he paid on the Leaf packs...if RE sees that they'll bust PORC.
Just don't want to see a dealer get in trouble.

not to nit pick...but spring rate is constant for any non-progressive spring. the force that the spring provides is what increases as the spring is compressed. Springs that have a constant wire diameter, outer diameter, constant pitch and constant # of active coils will have a constant spring rate. Stacking springs of different rates will produce a new rate, until one of them is fully compressed, then the rate would be equal to the one that isn't fully compressed.

Force = (Spring rate) X (distance compressed).

spring rate has the units of [force/length]

-J

There are some great suppliers out there who will gladly take care of folks, but sometimes it better to keep the prices on the down low.

RE may not even care, but with some of the price cutting that's been happening, I think they're going to start cracking down.

RJ

I'm not sure who I talked to at RE, but I will call back this morning to re-check.

I'll cancel my order if they are in fact 200 lbs/in.

CRASH

I called RE to ask about the ZJ coils years ago (making multiple calls like Crash is doing now). Sometimes I heard 240 lb/in, and sometimes I heard 200 lb/in. Seems like 200 is the default answer for all RE coils sometimes when you call, and other times it is a stiffer rate.

WTF knows?

Anybody running these coils that was previously running the 4.5" ZJ coils? Are they stiffer?

Nay

I've got PORC checking right now for me, I would assume they would give their vendors good info. But who knows.

The easiest way to get this resolved is to measure the wire on a set of the new 1358's. I can then compare it to my old 1345's. The 1345's are about .100 thicker than their 3.5" lift springs, which are supposed to be 200lb/in. If the 1358's are just a touch thicker than the 1345's, we'll be in good shape.

edit: I'm PMing XJoaquin to have him measure his springs.....

CRASH

Last edited:
Here i am, just back from the shop. The coil wire is exactly 5/8" and the coil's height with a winch bumper and a 10500 hydraulic milemarker is exact 19 1/4". I have nothing removed from my rig except some sheetmetal at the fender :D

The coils are really great on and off road, flexes great, see yourself

adj.jpg

Another great spring from RE, two thumbs up.

i was under the impression (from reading threads on PBB about coilovers) that if you cut a spring down you increase it's spring rate. if you cut a 200lb/in spring in half you get 2 400lb/in springs.

can anyone confirm this?

this could work out good for CRASH since he wants to cut them down and get a higher spring-rate anyway.

If you cut just a piece off of it this spring will be too stiff even with winch and winchbumper.

Joachim,

What were you told the sprinhg rate of these was?

CRASH

My 4.5" ZJ springs measure 18", with a prerunner bumper and no winch. With Joachim's at 19.25" with winch bumper and winch, I'd imagine they would net 20" on my XJ. This of course says nothing about spring rate because these are loaded measurements.

The length is perfect for me. 20" compressed is the exact height of the spring plus spacers/isolator on my rig. Seeing as how I want 1/2"-3/4" more lift up front...time to get a set of these babies. Hopefully the additional 10 lb/in of spring rate is true, as this would be ideal.

Nay

I was told the spring rate would be 250 lbs/in and it feels that this is correct. I would recommend this spring for everyone at 8" of lift. :cool:

yes, the spring rate is inversely proportional to the # of coils, so if you cut a spring in 1/2, the coils are reduced by 1/2 and the spring rate is doubled.

If someone could measure the wire diameter, spring diameter, the uncompressed length, and the # of coils, i could calculate the spring rate for you all. let me know.

-J

Considering that OEM springs are around 180 and Rusty's have been reported to be about 160, 250 does sound a bit stiff. Factory heavy duty rears back in the 80s were 220 and I think the fronts probably match that fairly closely. I have OEM HD spings in my original '88 and I don't care for them. They haven't sagged at all in 240,000 miles but they ride harsh and I'm going to replace them with 2000 Up Country coils.

Back