• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The everything pressure tester

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Someone out there has gotta make either a combination multi tester or a big box with a million adapters for pressure testing EVERYTHING right?
Makes me insane that I've gone through at least 2 or 3 of each (oil, fuel, vacuum, trans, etc) testers. There's gotta be someone who's either come up with a way to do an all in one, or at least stuck'm all in a well organized box... Anyone?

I have 2 drawers (half width drawers) didicated to pressure testing in my tool box. One is just gauges (liquid filled gauges I picked up from the local hydraulic shop) in various ranges, they all have a #4 male flare fitting on them to attach to a hose. Then my second drawer is an assortment of different fittings to connect to different components, fuel oil, air, vacuume, etc.... All which also have a #4 male flare on them as well for attaching the hose to. Then I have an assorment of hoses, all different lengths, hanging on the side of my tool box.

But I have never seen a do it all kit. I think its mainly because it would have to come with an absurd amount of different fittings for different makes and models of cars.

Or what you could do if you have a DMM. Is fluke makes a pressure transfucer that connects to your DMM to read pressures and vacuume..... But it'll cost you.

Maybe get out of Canadia. What you said in my sig is priceless.

Maybe get out of Canadia. What you said in my sig is priceless.

Heh. Yea, I saw that :). I can't say I get quoted in sigs often.

Yea, so the Fluke bit was interesting, and I'm thinking I may just build my own kit to do ... everything. Seems silly that nothing exists. I could chuck together an Arduino or Raspberrypi or something with a bunch of sensors (all using a common plug) and stick a little touch screen on it or have it transmit to my phone/tablet. I've been thinking about doing this anyway as my gauge cluster is now just a tablet running Torque, but Torque unfortunately makes no (useful) provision for non-obd sensors. I've been thinking about doing a megasquirt conversion and just writing my own cluster UI for the Jeep, and a big part of that was being able to throw in stuff like fuel/oil/vacuum pressure, various temps, fan speeds and maybe some silly stuff like rotor/caliper temp (honestly, I'm starting to think it'd be a good idea for how I've been wheeling lately).

Going to start trying to track down some stand alone sensors (that are actually reliable) and maybe build a framework for dealing with them and getting them to my phone. As if I didn't have enough projects already. Just spent half a day cleaning 1/10th of the garage.

I'm backing this
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...he-worlds-first-true-android-pc/posts/1316140
Maybe you should get onboard too.
Heh. Yea, I saw that :). I can't say I get quoted in sigs often.

Yea, so the Fluke bit was interesting, and I'm thinking I may just build my own kit to do ... everything. Seems silly that nothing exists. I could chuck together an Arduino or Raspberrypi or something with a bunch of sensors (all using a common plug) and stick a little touch screen on it or have it transmit to my phone/tablet. I've been thinking about doing this anyway as my gauge cluster is now just a tablet running Torque, but Torque unfortunately makes no (useful) provision for non-obd sensors. I've been thinking about doing a megasquirt conversion and just writing my own cluster UI for the Jeep, and a big part of that was being able to throw in stuff like fuel/oil/vacuum pressure, various temps, fan speeds and maybe some silly stuff like rotor/caliper temp (honestly, I'm starting to think it'd be a good idea for how I've been wheeling lately).

Going to start trying to track down some stand alone sensors (that are actually reliable) and maybe build a framework for dealing with them and getting them to my phone. As if I didn't have enough projects already. Just spent half a day cleaning 1/10th of the garage.

I don't quite understand how that project is >$1m :p. There are tonnes of tiny machines out there that'll run Linux/Android. Not really seeing anything to set this one apart aside from having to wait for it to "maybe" turn into an actual product :).

Ultimately, while Android is a good answer to a lot of old questions, I don't see it as well suited to this purpose. It's got WAY more than I need, and writing in Java is absolute balls. This might be useful for driving the display, but a tablet is just so much more convenient and already packaged for the job. What I need is something much smaller. Arduino with a bluetooth shield would be more than adequate for plugging some sensor data over to whatever device I wanna use for the display. Besides which, the Remix doesn't have any analog IO, which I'd need for sensor input.

Always interesting to see fellow geeks with Jeeps though ;).

Back