• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The car nut's wildest dream

Here's a slightly better link - the pics load much easier. The first pic shows the outside of the "barn" ..... dunno how someone could "stumble" across this building on property they bought..... Thing's as big as an airplane hangar.

http://forums.streetfire.net/showthread.php?t=15422

While the find is interesting, there's not much of value there. I didn't see a car there worth more than $30,000, with the majority worth far less. The Alfa Sprint Speciale or one of the Lancias were the most desireable, IMHO, and those aren't even that rare. The Lotus Elans/Elite/Etc were cool, but not super valuable. To me, a true "Barn Find" is the type that uncovers a $3,000,000 car.

Still, amazing time capsule. I'd love to hear the story behind the whole thing. I'm sure Kieth Martin's Sports Car Market will be doing a feature in the next couple months; when I get it I'll post an update.

-----Matt-----

YELLAHEEP said:
Here's a slightly better link - the pics load much easier. The first pic shows the outside of the "barn" ..... dunno how someone could "stumble" across this building on property they bought..... Thing's as big as an airplane hangar.

http://forums.streetfire.net/showthread.php?t=15422

Thats true, and notice the date, this happend back in january, if not earlier.

I spy a '31 Chrysler rumble-seat roadster.......

afa1211gk.jpg

Here's a restored one:

http://www.cardatabase.net/?pid=00035565

Im at agreement with some of you... how do you not notice this "barn"? Its frickin huge. When I read barn, im thinkin Red, White trim... no "Oh let me store my airplane in here" size....or in this case a crap load of cars.

YELLAHEEP said:
dunno how someone could "stumble" across this building on property they bought...

"Stumble" was probably used in relation to what was inside the building, not the building itself. Pretty easy to do if the property was bought sight-unseen.

i really enjoy stories like this - hidden treasures but also too would love to find out how they all got there... i too will look for a follow up on this find

IXNAYXJ said:
While the find is interesting, there's not much of value there. I didn't see a car there worth more than $30,000, with the majority worth far less. The Alfa Sprint Speciale or one of the Lancias were the most desireable, IMHO, and those aren't even that rare. The Lotus Elans/Elite/Etc were cool, but not super valuable. To me, a true "Barn Find" is the type that uncovers a $3,000,000 car.

Still, amazing time capsule. I'd love to hear the story behind the whole thing. I'm sure Kieth Martin's Sports Car Market will be doing a feature in the next couple months; when I get it I'll post an update.

-----Matt-----

Screw the 3 million dollar car. You'd just have to sell it. I like it better that none of the cars are world treasures or the like. There are plenty of very cool cars in there that you could actually use.

Matthew Currie said:
Screw the 3 million dollar car. You'd just have to sell it. I like it better that none of the cars are world treasures or the like. There are plenty of very cool cars in there that you could actually use.

Ditto!!
If I came across that I wouldn't sell a single one. I would use my spare time to fix up every single one of them that was salavageable and enjoy them the way they should be enjoyed............... being driven! (driven or drove ohh its to late i can't think)

Matt

matt6669 said:
Ditto!!
If I came across that I wouldn't sell a single one. I would use my spare time to fix up every single one of them that was salavageable and enjoy them the way they should be enjoyed............... being driven! (driven or drove ohh its to late i can't think)

Matt

LOL! By my calculations, if you spent 12 hrs a day and invested 500 man hours into each of the 180 cars to restore them (they all are restorable as far as I can tell - even the ones that look parted out)..... It would take you over 12 years to restore them all. Then consider that a very conservative $20k per car to restore it with paint, interior and mechanical........ that's $3.6 million total investment.

You sir, must be rediculously wealthy and bored.......... :D

i would sell enough to finance the restoration of the others.

YELLAHEEP said:
LOL! By my calculations, if you spent 12 hrs a day and invested 500 man hours into each of the 180 cars to restore them (they all are restorable as far as I can tell - even the ones that look parted out)..... It would take you over 12 years to restore them all. Then consider that a very conservative $20k per car to restore it with paint, interior and mechanical........ that's $3.6 million total investment.

You sir, must be rediculously wealthy and bored.......... :D

Well you know, if something like that EVER did happen to me, I would have to be rich or something sooo in that case I guess i would be able to accomplish this feat. Ahhh even just to have all of them without the dust on them would be something amazing, I would even take them with dirt on top of them. That site makes me drool

i am doubtful of this find. though it is a fun idea to dream about, heck i can just dream about buying land someday that is big enough a "barn" that large can be on the land and dispite surveying my acreage i miss that huge monstrosity. I would be happy with just that scenario. I found $100 bill once i thought that was cool.

Heck just finding the barn is worth a couple hundred grand.

I wouldnt mind driving the tires off that lotus 7, the lotus elan, and since i saw a video of it a few years ago i want to stuff a honda v tec in the front of a mini BAD, and do fwd donuts and turn on a dime and light them b*tches up. Coolest fwd there could be.

Back