• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tera 2 low mod.

2offroad said:
they must have changed after they made mine the font and size not the same as mine.
Yep, I just went back and looked at yours. Yours is a closer match to the OEM one.
No worries. It's still better than the blanking tape I was gonna use. :laugh3:

Last edited:
Ok, thread hijack again...Bill, with the Novak shifter, do you remove the stock shifter bucket thing that bolts to the floor? Is there some sort of boot to seal that hole back up? I think the novak shifter is an interesting idea, but am concerned about a gaping hole in the floor below the plastic center console. I went a different route and modified the stock shifter mechanism bolted to the tranny to eliminate the connection to the body. It's been working great and the stock lever and seal is still in use. I believe Crash did something similar to the Novak unit when making room for his "hidden 3 link" suspension. I thought he said he flipped the shift lever on the transfer case though so it points up instead of down. In his case, the stock shift lever ws retained but the pattern got reversed like the Novak unit. I wonder if the Novak unit could be modified to use a flipped transfer case bracket and then end up with the stock pattern? Jeff

These IS a thin rubber "boot" that covers the OEM shifter assembly. I left it in place when I removed the shifter, and I also added a shifter boot from a CJ under the t-case bezel. The combination keeps out the water and most of the road noise.
I'm not sure about modifying the Novak shifter. It would seem if you flipped the OEM shifter for a reverse pattern, you're still dealing with all the complex linkage under the 231.
OTOH, as Remi pointed out, the Novak shifter unit is very simple and it'd be fairly easy to make something similar.

BillR said:
These IS a thin rubber "boot" that covers the OEM shifter assembly. I left it in place when I removed the shifter, and I also added a shifter boot from a CJ under the t-case bezel. The combination keeps out the water and most of the road noise.
I'm not sure about modifying the Novak shifter. It would seem if you flipped the OEM shifter for a reverse pattern, you're still dealing with all the complex linkage under the 231.
OTOH, as Remi pointed out, the Novak shifter unit is very simple and it'd be fairly easy to make something similar.

Yeah, I'm kind of toying with that idea now. I looked at a tcase I got sitting in the garage and it looks like one could reinforce the stock bracket (the stock bracket bends a bit too easy) and then add a shifter with a boot (just pick something up at a boneyard) and voila. The only problem I have though is deciding on a hinge/swivel to use for the setup. I want something that will not wear out to easily.
Another challenge that I'm toying with is that I want the shifter to be "lockable". What I mean by that is that I want to add to it some sort of a protection setup that will make it harder to accidently slip it into 4wd (maybe just something along the lines of what you have to do to go from 4H to N: push sideways then pull)

All I have left is.
1 '97 up reg pattern
1 '96 back Novak pattern

Just the '96 back left.

Sorry I didn't think about till after I had posted it. The 1st PM I got got it.

Last edited:
The only one left is a 96 and back for a Novak, the first one to EMAIL me [email protected] gets it free. I don't have my XJ anymore so I'm not going to make anymore.

Back