• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE rear shaft questions

OK....measured the angles tonight, and the driveshaft is @ 15 deg below horizontal, and the pinion is 10 deg past vertical moving towards the tcase. So I have a 95 deg angle between the 2 @ the pinion yoke.

So, if I leave a 1 deg angle for spring wrap...I need a 4 deg wedge...right ??

That would put my pinion to driveshaft angle @ 91 deg, giving me a 1 deg mismatch for drivetrain loading.

or should I use 2 deg ?

or is my math all wrong ???

Oh, and BTW, the 88 front shaft I was using had to come back out tonight........on the way home from work, it starting screeching bad, and since I have a new one on the way, I'll just run with no front shaft for a few days since I used the existing front shaft as my rear one for now. The ujoint @ the pinion literally fell apart when I removed the 88 shaft.

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct, if I'm visualizing your math right. Haha

A 4* shim should be good. The pinion should be inline with the drive line - 1* for axle wrap.

That sucks about your other drive line, good thing you got something else on the way.

Site wouldn't let me edit my previous post....

Based on my measurement, and the fact that the shaft has 3" of travel, I am at max travel right now.

So, I just ordered a new shaft that is 31.75 compressed & 35.25 extended, which should put me right in the middle of the travel band @ ride height.

Thanks for the help guys.....altho it did lead to a lighter pocket...but then again, I do have 2 cherokees, so I kinda know about that 'Just Empty Every Pocket' thing already
too late now , but you could of had a ds shop just retube & rebalance the old shaft to the right size, ive had that done before @ about a $100,but it prob. needed a rebuild too, so by that point you may have close to the cost of the new one.

The shaft that went out was from an 88 cherokee with over 350k on the ticker and was well used

And the shop around the corner that does driveshafts, well, last time I had them do some work for me, it didn't last 3 months....so they won't get anymore of my money

Back