• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superchips Programmer Anyone Tried It?

Bville99gt

NAXJA Forum User
Well i was looking at superchips site and got a little interested on their programmer since it states that it can modify the following

24 wheel horsepower and 28 lb ft of torque
Wide Open Throttle Shift points
Speed Limiter
Rev Limiter
Transmission Settings Optimized
Spark Advance Set
Transfer Case Gear Calibration
Speedometer Corrections

I wanted to know if someone has tried it and what's their input on this and also why is it only available for 99-01 jeep cherokees I don't really mind since mine is 2001 but just a little curious.... If the programmer allows you to mess around with the transmission then I'm sold for this programmer...

On the UK models Superchips claim a 12hp increase:

http://www.superchips.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&task=searchcat&Itemid=134

I reckon even that's optimistic and you're only likely to get close to that if you tune for premium gas. It definitely ain't gonna happen on 87 octane so I reckon the claimed 24rwhp/28rwtq gain on http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/61A2342A0A0A2607686.aspx is a load of old bollocks. The main selling points are going to be adjustable shift points/firmness, adjustable speed limiter, and adjustability for tire size, not the HP/TQ gains.

Last edited:
I don't really care about the horsepower gain, what i'm really interested in is the availability of the transmission changes...

It won't do anything for the transmission change. At most it will firm the ships up a little bit by removing torque control. The TCU is separate from the PCM, so their programing doesn't touch the TCU.

It also won't correct the speedo and the transfer case gear calibration.

For programmers I have used a Hyper tech at one time. Waste of money. Did nothing but make the engine ping.

kolak@aol sells a reflash that does a whole lot of other stuff, but still only removes torque control on the transmission side. It does add some neat features like:
Increased speed limited from 114 mph to 254 mph (a bit optimistic there)
Pushed the rev limited from 5300 to 6000 RPM
Increased the idle from 648 to 700 rpm
Turned the torque management off
Turned stall torque off (don't know what the heck that is)
Adjusted fuel map
Turns the cylinder misfire mil (code only) to off
Ac compressor kicks off for 10 seconds at WOT
Set cruise control range 30mph-130mph
Decrease the temp at which the efan kicks on

For some reason I was thinking I read that it had the automatic hi idle for accessories, like, it would idle up when you put a load on the electrical system to maintain good power output...... Or was this something else? Would be a good option I think, unless someone had the vehicle on gear......

Well what I'm trying to do is getter more firmness on the shifts and be able to shift at least at 5000 or 5200 rpms because my xj shifts at 4700rpms and that sucks

kolak@aol sells a reflash that does a whole lot of other stuff, but still only removes torque control on the transmission side. It does add some neat features like:
Increased speed limited from 114 mph to 254 mph (a bit optimistic there)
Pushed the rev limited from 5300 to 6000 RPM
Increased the idle from 648 to 700 rpm
Turned the torque management off
Turned stall torque off (don't know what the heck that is)
Adjusted fuel map
Turns the cylinder misfire mil (code only) to off
Ac compressor kicks off for 10 seconds at WOT
Set cruise control range 30mph-130mph
Decrease the temp at which the efan kicks on

I didn't know you got the reflash from kolak.

I almost bought a chip for my Jeep. But I really got tired of spending money on performance items that would improve my 0-60/quarter mile times by only tenths of a second and getting beat by newer 4 cylinder cars.

So I bought a nice used 1 owner Mercedes-Benz to satisfy my need for speed and the Jeep became a full time wheeler.

So my suggestion is to whip out your checkbook for a worthwhile mod like a supercharger or stroker (or both), or retire your Jeep to the trails and get a road vehicle that is reasonably fast stock.

If I was to whip out my checkbook to purchase a supercharger or stroker motor, the check would bounce faster than my Jeep would have been able to go with either of those mods... I wish I had the money to do those high dollar mods... but then again the last time I thought of drag racing my Jeep was.... well never... I am more concerned with fixing the spedo after upgrading tires,gears..... and maybe getting some sort of extra gas milage... outside of that I think I will be looking into saving up for a 5.2 or 5.9L out of an older Dakota or Durango or even ZJ and swapping that into my XJ down the road somewhere for a little bit more umph on the trails... but for now I am happy with what I got!!

Oh yeah how do I go about getting the flash that you guys are talking about, and do I need to send in my PCM or what??

You'll need to send your pcm to Nick:

Nick Ianuzzi <-Kolak
Kolak Performance and Offroad
A Division of: Multitronics, LLC
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

Messing around with a tuner won't do much of anything.

x2

I believe out 4.0Ls don't respond to the tuners in the power area very well. I went with the PCM reflash because I wanted to dial back the fuel trim a bit and for the other features. With the Hypertech I noticed no gains.

I have the superchips flashpaq and have connected the programmer and the cost of 379.00 was not worth it buy tires or a high lift jack a cheap winch, it doesn’t do anything for mileage or performance, just a word of advise.

Back