• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

subs in xjs

My old setup had Dual 12" MTX Thunders and a Rocksford Fosgate 200.1 putting like (25w?? per channel....later did the math with a 8ohm setup, opps) but the box just took up too much space so I decided to go single 12" JBL P1222, and a Kenwood 8104D. It's putting 500w RMS to a sealed box and I love it. I'll take pics of it later since I actually have the old box still in the back with the new system.

Great thread, gave me some good ideas on where to put my amp, and reminded me even more that I need to get that damn spare out of the cargo area.

I have 2 10 inch sony slim series, in the sony boxes. Each can handle 1200watts (330 RMS) and I power them with a 1000watt(300RMS) (thats about 1/3 of what they can handle)Kenwood amp. When I really crank it, I think my Jeep might rattle apart. Try playing Jambi by Tool. Its literally thunder. Sonys are good, just power them right. And I mounted my amp in my headliner with a metal plate small bolts and really strong magnets, you cant even see it from outside.

the headliner thing sounds cool, got any pics??

I'll try and get some to post. If you go into the NorthEast chapter section there is an Introduction page, I have the really clean red xj on probably the second to last page. The amp is not in, but the troll hair from the previous owner is. There is no way i am going to take it out anytime soon, it took a lot of time to get it i(it would be much easier without the troll hair). But what i did was take a small sheet of aluminum to distribute the weight. I used self tapping screws to mount really strong (from a computer hard drive) magnets that hold it to the roof. Put the plate on the top side of the headliner, and bolt the amp to it on the other side. I used a "big" hole i accidentlly made to run the wires to it. It's out of the way and looks really cool at night.

Last edited:
Alpine DVR
73c691f5.jpg

2 15" eclipse 87 series subs in a sealed box, run off of a JL Audio 500.1:
dfe44d20.jpg

Also have some Boston Accoustic component fronts that I need to install, rear sound bar is mostly filler...so im keeping those stock.

Im sure this has been discussed so excuse my ignorance. With the demand of Stealboxes to ratio of available stealboxes, why dont more people go with this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP...80QQitemZ250298575580QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo ?

Im sure if you put some fabric over it it might look better.

I just got these for Christmas. Pain in the ass install, the end product doesnt sit exactly flush with the side panel, which kind of dissapointed me. I think it sounds pretty good for an 8 inch sub. I can maybe post pictures if some of you are interested in buying one for yourselves.

Jesus those 15s take up some real estate!!!

Go big or go home :cheers:

I like em, they go deep. And they used to win me competitions when I had them in my camry. 2 words...free air :cool:

see post 126 of this thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243942211&postcount=126

15" sub and almost no loss of storage space, and it plays very deep as it's infinite baffle.

In my pic the box actually wasnt back as far as it could be. Ive since built a luggage rack for it also.

aaed0cb1.jpg

These eclipses have a large magnet on the back, i dont think they would fit. Also, i like the sealed sound, very tight bass. Putting the sub in the side would cause the sheet metal to vibrate also, causing distortion. Did you add any dynamat or sound deadener to prevent the metal from moving?

These eclipses have a large magnet on the back, i dont think they would fit. Also, i like the sealed sound, very tight bass. Putting the sub in the side would cause the sheet metal to vibrate also, causing distortion. Did you add any dynamat or sound deadener to prevent the metal from moving?

I used 1.5" mdf to make space for the magnet as the 15" Fi is deep too. I used to like sealed before I heard infinite baffle, which is much tighter and doesn't have the distortion caused by a box. All the sheet metal in my jeep vibrates :guitar:! The metal by the speaker is only dampend by the foam used to create a seal, but the vibration doesn't cause a problem because it isn't part of a box. I cut a large hole underneath to make it infinite baffle.

I bet your 2 15s hit harder than my 1, but that my response curve is flatter lower. A box acts as a high-pass filter and dampens the lower frequencies. What's the displacement on those eclipse drivers? That's an impressive looking setup and I bet it get's very loud. Ever play "bass I love you?" The low notes are single-digit Hz.

I used 1.5" mdf to make space for the magnet as the 15" Fi is deep too. I used to like sealed before I heard infinite baffle, which is much tighter and doesn't have the distortion caused by a box. All the sheet metal in my jeep vibrates :guitar:! The metal by the speaker is only dampend by the foam used to create a seal, but the vibration doesn't cause a problem because it isn't part of a box. I cut a large hole underneath to make it infinite baffle.

I bet your 2 15s hit harder than my 1, but that my response curve is flatter lower. A box acts as a high-pass filter and dampens the lower frequencies. What's the displacement on those eclipse drivers? That's an impressive looking setup and I bet it get's very loud. Ever play "bass I love you?" The low notes are single-digit Hz.

Ive never heard of the Fi before, ill have to look into it. Ive been out of the sound arena for awhile now. Im definitely interested in the infinite baffle, ill have to look into it more. I had the two 15"s originally in a camry. They were turned sideways and fired in the same direction. Sealed the middle space between them, and ported it through the arm rest in the rear seat. It used the whole trunk as a free air setup. I used to blow away guys with it...haha. At that time i only had a alpine 300 watt amp running them, and i hit over 130db. I was going more for clarity though.

I have a track called the 'Sweeper'...basically it starts out below what you can hear...and gradually goes all the way up til it goes out of the range of your ears. Plus the Iasca spl tracks are always fun.

Very nice setup, I like how you retain your trunk space. Not an issue for me...only time I carry stuff is 4wheeling or grocery shopping, which is why i built the rack.

Ive never heard of the Fi before, ill have to look into it. Ive been out of the sound arena for awhile now. Im definitely interested in the infinite baffle, ill have to look into it more. I had the two 15"s originally in a camry. They were turned sideways and fired in the same direction. Sealed the middle space between them, and ported it through the arm rest in the rear seat. It used the whole trunk as a free air setup. I used to blow away guys with it...haha. At that time i only had a alpine 300 watt amp running them, and i hit over 130db. I was going more for clarity though.

I have a track called the 'Sweeper'...basically it starts out below what you can hear...and gradually goes all the way up til it goes out of the range of your ears. Plus the Iasca spl tracks are always fun.

Very nice setup, I like how you retain your trunk space. Not an issue for me...only time I carry stuff is 4wheeling or grocery shopping, which is why i built the rack.
Fi Makes good stuff. I bought my Fi after reading tons of positive reviews.

Fi Car Audio makes awsome subs. And their IB drivers are a steal. My 15 was only $115 shipped, and I think that's great for a quality hand made in the USA product. They're so affordible because IB subs are usually limited by travel, not voicecoil power handling, so Fi builds the drivers with long travel and small(ish) power handling. I have a cheap pioneer amp thats rated 760 watts max and iirc 390 rms. I've blown the 2x30 amp fuses a couple times (60a x 12v = 720 watts) and the sub has had no problems at all. But overstressing amps is a good way to blow speakers, so I need to back off until I get a better amp.

My 15 displaces 3.56 liters per stroke, and if I want to go bigger I'll put the 18" in the same spot, it displaces 7.26 liters :guitar:!

That would be as loud as 2 of the 15s and would look awsome! And they're only about $200.

Back