• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

StumpXJ - About Me [a mini novel...]

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just putting a little info out there for folks whom I have yet to meet, and maybe a little more info for those that I have met. I have been nominated, and have accepted the nomination for the position of Vice President of the NAXJA South East Chapter.

My name is James "Gabe" Clegg, most people call me Stump (or Gabe....or James when I think about it). Stump is a nickname given to me by my mother, for unknown reasons, many many years ago. She still calls me this today, and she herself has no idea where it came from.

I am married to Meghan Ramsey, whom many of you have met. We met and dated in college almost 13 years ago, and have been happily married for almost 8 years now. She is a Project Manager/PE Civil Engineer for the Centers for Disease Control here in Atlanta, GA.

I am 33 years old, and was born and raised in Orangeburg and Charleston South Carolina. I have a degree in Electronic Instrumentation, as well as a degree in Business Management, neither of which I really use at this point in my life. I have had several broad ranging career changes over the years from Biomedical Technician (electronics, about 3 years), to Motorcycle Lead Technician/Service manager (about 6 years), and even finance at a large overseas bank. I currently am employed as a Pipefitter/Welder/Fabricator with Local Union 72 in Atlanta, and plan to stay in the field for as long as possible. I grew up in a Hot Rod Shop environment my whole life as my father has owned a full service Hot Rod Shop for 40+ years. To say that I am a mechanical type of guy - is an understatement. My father is my hero, and has taught me most of what I know today, regardless of the subject.

I lived in South Carolina until Meghan and I moved to Germany in 2005 with her employer at the time - the Army Corps of Engineers (as civilians). We lived in Germany for around 4 years, and came back to Atlanta Ga in June of 2009 and have lived in Decatur ever since.

One of the reasons for moving back to the US when we did was we were ready to start a family. In Jan of 2011, my daughter Harper Alyssa Clegg was born, and our lives as we knew them changed drastically. Harper is almost 2 years old now, and the past 20 or so months have been a proverbial roller coaster of emotions, discoveries, wonderful times, and a few not so great moments. Now that Harper has gotten much more independent, we are able to slowly get back into our hobbies, including Jeeps and associated trips, etc.

My hobbies include Jeeps, fabrication, camping, and racing R/C boats. My family has owned my current daily driver, a 1996 XJ, since the day it came off the showroom floor. 233,000 miles later, she is still rolling strong. My other XJ, lovingly dubbed the Teal B*tch was purchased from a salvage yard on a military based in Ramstein Germany, and was owned by a Senior Master Sargent in the USAF. The Jeep has literally been around the world with is previous owner going from California, to Japan, then to Europe, and finally back to the Eastern US with me. I have owned it since around 2007, and have put many many many hours of labor and love into it. I am not a hardcore crawler type, I prefer straight full bodied sheet metal, but also dont mind doing a little wheeling when the time comes. I view a successful wheeling trip as using my rig to tow my camper to wherever we are wheeling, wheeling all weekend with a light foot, then towing it all back home with minimal to no breakage. In the same respect, I can totally see myself building a beater rig in the future, and seeing just how much abuse it can take.

I am currently the National Outboard Director for the International Model Power Boat Association, and was one of three founding members of the largest R/C Boat club in the US, the Charleston Model Boaters. I acted as President, Vice President, and Treasurer for that club in the years that I was living there, and have also served as advisor of the Kaiserslautern Allrad Club (offroad group) in Germany.

I am eager to follow in the footsteps of our current SEC BOD, and look forward to liaising with them to ensure a smooth transition, further improving our chapter, and expanding our membership.

Enough of my rambling, should you have any questions, feel free to post up! Thanks for the opportunity, and your time.

Sincerely, James-Gabe-Stump-Clegg, StumpXJ. :D

Thank you for writing this.....I was confused about what to call you but since momma called you stump, I will too :D

Thank you for writing this.....I was confused about what to call you but since momma called you stump, I will too :D

I seem to recall some of this confusion recently...lol.

Thanks for the write up stump! Now I don't feel so bad for writing a novel lol!

well he's james in person, stump on naxja, and gabe on facebook....one can see how these things get confusing

I just call him Stump! :D I can't think of any other guy who looks like he could kill you by looking at you who was as nice a guy as you are, Stump. I look forward to wheeling with you because you're just genuinely one hell of a guy! :cheers: You'll make a great VP if elected!

Thanks Stump!!!!!

Since I've known you, I think I've always called you that.

Thank you for stepping up.

How do you feel about having a calendar of events even if it can be difficult to keep all the planned events?

Do you think there needs to be any changes to the Crawl in terms of date and location?

Thank you for stepping up.

Least I can do. Thanks to you and the current BOD's for all of the work that you guys have put in over the years.

How do you feel about having a calendar of events even if it can be difficult to keep all the planned events?

Ed, im not entirely sure I understand the question, but if you mean events organized by the SEC, such as the Crawl and Fall Flog, I think events like that are key to maintaining camaraderie throughout this large chapter area, as well as potentially pulling non-members into the chapter and NAXJA membership. With that being said, I believe two bigger events a year are about as much as most can handle when it comes to finances, and time off from work, etc. There are plenty of smaller events (for lack of a better word) that happen in smaller regions within the larger chapter, i.e. impromptu meet and greets, wrenchfests, quick wheeling trips, and camping trips.

You once PM'd me with an idea of getting key members (myself in the Atlanta area) in certain hotbed areas to act as unofficial directors and set-up meet and greets, wrenchfests, or whatever in that particular area. I think this was a fantastic idea, and if I am elected would like to work with the new BOD to expand and initiate that type of mindset. I think it only would grow the chapter as a whole in the long run, and could in effect increase attendance at the larger events such as the Crawl.

The other way I read your question is on a forum level and having a virtual calendar/sub forum in the SEC for folks to place their events on (large or small) so others may develop interest in attending those events with those who may be in the same general area.

I remember seeing a "staging area" subforum a while back, and from what I remember, it didnt get used much. As a moderator on other large forums, I have also noticed that 'pinning' things often results in even less exposure for the majority of folks who pop onto the forum quickly to scan the newest posts, and then move on. I know I rarely stop to check anything thats pinned, unless I have a vested interest

To be honest, I dont see a calendar of events (on a forum/virtual calendar) being too difficult to maintain, but I am not entirely sure that would be the best way to generate interest. It seems to me a normal thread in the SEC main forum see more hits/views than anywhere else. I think a properly titled thread, updated regularly with new info of said event is likely the best way to make sure those get the most exposure.

Do you think there needs to be any changes to the Crawl in terms of date and location?

While there is always room for improvement regardless of the subject, I think we as a Chapter, and the SEC BOD's have done a fantastic job on our 'flagship' event. Attendance seems to grow every year that I have been. I have now attended 3 crawls ('09, '10, '12), and think things have run as smoothly as possible. That doesn't happen by chance, and I am aware of the amount of organizing that is required to host such events.

In terms of date and location, I think the local membership who plan to attend should have a very large say in that. I also know that with such a large area in the chapter, there is no way to make everyone happy. Thats the way it is sometimes. In this particular instance, the majority shall rule, and the majority should easily be determined by polling our members. A simple poll thread - well in advance of the event - will determine the majority's feelings on both time and place, as well as any other major issues that could need deciding.

Hopefully that answered your questions. Thanks for bringing them up for discussion, and should I need to address something specifically, let me know. :)

Thanks, ~ Stump

Last edited:
:thumbup:

You answered the question about the calendar in the second section.

Do you think events like the Flog will shift east?

How do you feel about dual events like the Flog several years ago? Ghost put together one in Uwharrie and the other was at Windrock in Tennessee.

Thanks Ed, I think these will be short and sweet.

The first question, do I think the Flog event will shift to the East? Im not sure if there is more to this question than meets the eye, perhaps I missed a thread or conversation, but I truly believe that as a democracy - the NAXJA SEC members - should decide as a whole (via popular vote) on any changes or upcoming events. I dont feel that my self, the president or any other potentially elected official has the right or should have the right to make those decisions without consulting the membership, en masse. Im not saying we need to get every detail voted on by membership, but certainly the location, time of year, and frequency of said events should be a majority rule.

I think we should also point out, as we have in the past, if you wont be able to or dont plan to attend the event regardless of the outcome, then you should abstain from voting so as to get a true majority from those who would/will actually attend.

On a personal level, I think if we as membership decide that two smaller flog events would better suit our huge geographical area, and allow more people to enjoy the fun - then why not? As long as we can get a key constituent(s) in those areas to head up the events and insure that we all abide by the guidelines set forth by NAXJA, it makes no sense not to.

Thanks, Stump

The first question, do I think the Flog event will shift to the East? Im not sure if there is more to this question than meets the eye, perhaps I missed a thread or conversation, but I truly believe that as a democracy - the NAXJA SEC members - should decide as a whole (via popular vote) on any changes or upcoming events. I dont feel that my self, the president or any other potentially elected official has the right or should have the right to make those decisions without consulting the membership, en masse. Im not saying we need to get every detail voted on by membership, but certainly the location, time of year, and frequency of said events should be a majority rule.
Thanks, Stump

You will find the popular vote will and can be difficult to deal with. I've been accused of being a dictator of the SEC but prior to my arrival, they'd put out the popular vote and then attendance would be very low compared to all those who voted for the said place.

I was just figuring that with the future board being further east that wheeling locations might move that way. They did with the current BOD.

Do you believe using the Chat feature on NAXJA is a good way to communicate with the membership?

You will find the popular vote will and can be difficult to deal with. I've been accused of being a dictator of the SEC but prior to my arrival, they'd put out the popular vote and then attendance would be very low compared to all those who voted for the said place.

I was just figuring that with the future board being further east that wheeling locations might move that way. They did with the current BOD.

Yes, the popular vote will always have its controversy's (as evident by a recent LARGE national election), however I think it is a necessary evil (for lack of better wording) just to get a feel for what most want to have, and to give the membership an opportunity to voice their opinion's. I think the BOD will and can play an instrumental role in guiding the membership to what has historically been a more successful event. I am also a firm believer in the 'if aint broke, dont fix it' philosophy.

Bottom line is there aren't a whole lot of quality wheeling places in the 'East' persey, I think Harlan is about as good as it gets in terms of offering a little of everything for folks, as well as being reasonably well centrally located for the big Crawl event, and I will push on a personal level to continue with that venue for that flagship event.

I think the other part of your comment can be tied back to your original idea of having directors within the chapter to help coordinate folks to get together in a smaller concentrated area. While that may in one way segregate the chapter on some level, the chapter as a whole would benefit as more members could be brought in, and would allow the folks on the outer edges to enjoy this hobby with like minded people. I think that was a great idea, and would like to work with the future SEC BOD to push that mindset for our chapter. I think its at least worth trying.

Do you believe using the Chat feature on NAXJA is a good way to communicate with the membership?

I think any form of communication is a positive thing for this chapter. I have conversations with my NAXJA brothers on the Chat feature, Facebook, Text messages, PM's, the general SEC forums, phone calls, etc. etc. I dont think one is more valuable than the other, however there are certainly benefits to using the NAXJA Chat as we are all already here (members). I also think the Chat can turn into more of a BS session (which is totally ok) and it can get a little overwhelming keeping up with the different conversations. I guess my point is, it depends on what the communication consists of as to which medium of communication is ideal. SEC business discussion for instance, is not ideal for the open chat section. Talking about The Walking Dead, boobs, and what you did to your Jeep yesterday, is fair game. :)

~ Stump

Back