• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker vs Rebuilt with upgraded Head

yeah... I don't know what exactly goes wrong with strokers. I read a lot more engine problems about strokers than 4.0s, though.
Seems like head work, bolt-ons, slight bump in CR & maybe a cam. Then again, lots of people are unable / unwilling to follow proper break in procedures and oil addititves, so we read a fair number of wiped out cams causing problems.

i'd advise you find a junkyard or used 4.0 as a core so you can build the complete motor or at least 90% of it then just swap it in a weekend so there is less down time.

for all the work of a stroker along with money it isn't much more to just do an LSx at that point which will get you way better gains in every aspect.

my brother rebuild his 4.0 and did a lot of work to it in the fine details and it's not impressive at all, bone stock 01 jeep, it's quick but for the time, effort and $$$$ he put into it doesn't seem worth it.

i'd advise you find a junkyard or used 4.0 as a core so you can build the complete motor or at least 90% of it then just swap it in a weekend so there is less down time.

for all the work of a stroker along with money it isn't much more to just do an LSx at that point which will get you way better gains in every aspect.

my brother rebuild his 4.0 and did a lot of work to it in the fine details and it's not impressive at all, bone stock 01 jeep, it's quick but for the time, effort and $$$$ he put into it doesn't seem worth it.

I was going to be working on a separate engine.

As far as number vs dollars and work that has been at the back of my mind. I really don't NEED this. My XJ actually performs the way I want it to. My engine just needs some love since its at 185,000 and it seems kind of slow. So I figured if I have to go in there I might as well. Plus my engine isn't going to last forever so when it does eventually go what so I do? I'm not for swapping in an LS only cause I'm not going to be on anything bigger than my 33's as it is.

So it seems I'm leaning towards head work and leaving the 4.0 alone...again. Save some time, money and hold on to the reliability.

i only suggested the LS swap in the case that you are looking for significant performance gains for the $$ invested.
i'm certainly not waving the LS flag like others do, i'm a proponent of getting more out of the stock configuration and maintaining the reliability of the 4.0L.
if i wanted LS performance i wouldnt be looking at an XJ, though the current LS line up is a smart choice if that is a road you wants to take.

I've got over 100k on my stroker.

Back