• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spray painting Tips needed

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
so i decided to paint the Jeep, started friday (today is monday) i have spent the last 3 days sanding and Priming (kinda)

I completely sanded the whole rig with 220 grit.. then i washed it down, and dried it, then i hit any missed areas and rinsed it off again, then i hit any bare metal/fiberglass spots with automotive primer.

Well, i sprayed the passenger side tonight, after prepping, and it has dried now, well the paint has a somewhat rough texture.. almost gritty like sand paper:dunno:

I was thinkin about wet-sanding it, i have never done this before.. what should i buy? and what are some tips? Should i do a full 3 coats before trying this? or should i do this between coats?

The paint i am using is Krylon Camouflage Ultra flat.

That's the problem with spray bomb - the fan is way too small and inconsistent. It's hard to get the right pattern and the right texture. My advice would be to sand it all down with some 320 or 400, and try again. The paint does have somewhat of a texture because it is flat, but shouldn't be like sandpaper.

You can't wetsand the final coat of flattened paint, or it won't be flat anymore. It will be a streaky, striped mess. Get the entire surface the same texture with your paper, and retry. Get a little closer if you're getting texture, back off if you get runs. If you do get a run, wait for it to completely dry, sand out, and respray. 3 coats should be enough.

Good luck with the tiger striping on the hood and doors. Those are the hardest to get even.

Aerosol FTL.

Back