• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed By Spectre

I have debated putting the stock box back in but i'm too lazy to cut my second battery tray out, for now I got my K&N on the passenger side of the engine and have the Spectre filter in the storage loft and ill swap it on for smog in a year.

The amount of miles I put on my Jeep it was clogging more then once a month... waste of money, I kinda wish I didn't even bother as my smog guy even said he would have passed me with my home made intake on it. Maybe ill throw mine on eBay and see if I can recoup some money from it.

I'm kinda in the same boat with smog, I just wanted the magic sticker.as I was installing it I ran into a couple hiccups with fitment and really started debating If I want to continue with the install. I'm all for the stock ho airbox setup but my smog guy is not because I have a renix motor. Plus having the extra space where the airbox would go is nice.

totally.

Save your money folks.

Well, after trying to install the brand new intake,I gave up and told my self "this magic sticker, is not worth it". I have a renix with ho throttle body, a custom ho to renix adapter, and custom oil fill cap mod. Needless to say I gave it my all and decided to not force the fit any more. I'll swap air boxes next smog.
I have a Brand new renix spectre intake for sale (still has Carb exempt sticker). I'll post in the for sale section.

If you need some help come on by and i can help you install this.I got big hammers and stuff to get the job done.J/K. But if you need help come on over and we can get this done in no time at all and then test it out in the backyard test area.

:confused:

The coilovers are in the way for me to use a stock air box. If one is not running coil overs, I would recommend running the stock air box all day long.
this is why i have a cone filter, and i hate it...
now i gotta figure something legal out so i can smog it in a year.

If you need some help come on by and i can help you install this.I got big hammers and stuff to get the job done.J/K. But if you need help come on over and we can get this done in no time at all and then test it out in the backyard test area.

Its just not worth the hassle anymore, hopefully I can recover most of my money. I don't minds modding things, but I had to draw the line. I also prefer stock airbox and filter for reliability and ease of replacement filters, but was hoping to make this kit Work.ohwell lesson learned. I do need take the jeep out and knock some cobwebs off,let me know.

The prefilter will be for leaves and and lg chunks that will end up in the airbox. My filter takes care of the dust. Is is smaller than say a K&N so it needs to be cleaned more often. The K&N I was using took in more air than this setup and moved the power band, loosing low end torque. When I put this on the low end torque improved as well as the fuel mileage. The mileage is closer to what I could find on many sites through google, which was 15 miles to the gallon. Though the more weight You carry, ie: large tires, armor, recovery equip, on board air etc, is going to adversely effect the mileage. I want to run a second battery under the hood so this is a good solution for me.

Hey guys I'm considering buying this cowl intake and reading this it seems the filter gets clogged often. I know some mentioned a pre-filter to help out with that. What about putting on a HUMVEE style pre-filter? Or like the AEV pre-filter you can get for the JK's? I live in Ohio so hardly any dust, however, I do plan on taking a month off work and driving cross country in the XJ and hitting up some dusty spots. Thoughts?

Hey guys I'm considering buying this cowl intake and reading this it seems the filter gets clogged often. I know some mentioned a pre-filter to help out with that. What about putting on a HUMVEE style pre-filter? Or like the AEV pre-filter you can get for the JK's? I live in Ohio so hardly any dust, however, I do plan on taking a month off work and driving cross country in the XJ and hitting up some dusty spots. Thoughts?

I would buy three filters and swap them out regularly....prefilter would help but the element is still too small.

I have this intake and need to swap it out tomorrow so i can smog it :) overall I like it, the intake is plenty high enough, it is pretty loud, the filter is small and it is not CA approved, but if you add another battery box it is worth it.

You would not be able to pass smog

i think he's asking about an XJ that was originally sold to be CA smog legal, his location says he's in AZ.

if you take the jeep out of CA you dont need to follow the CARB rules. as long as what you put on it is legal for federal emissions you're good to go.

Back