• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sombody help me out, I'm confused.

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
Nev. man accused of throwing mom out of wedding

MINDEN, Nev. (AP) - A Nevada man faces misdemeanor charges after authorities say he carried his mother out of a church when she arrived to stop his wedding.

The Record-Courier reports Justin Lew Harris of Gardnerville carried his 56-year-old mother out of the church Monday as she loudly objected to the ceremony.

Harris' wedding at the Carson Valley United Methodist Church was called off after the disruption, church volunteer Jim Jameson said. Jameson didn't know what the mother's objections concerned.

Harris, 35, faces disorderly conduct and coercion charges. He was released from the Douglas County Jail on his own recognizance Wednesday.

East Fork Justice Tom Perkins urged Harris to treat family members with respect after the mother indicated she wanted contact with him, the newspaper reported. Perkins ordered Harris to return to court for a hearing Nov. 2.
Link to article at ABC27.com

Unless I've got it wrong (no direct experience, you see) the Bride and Groom at a wedding are the principals, and all the guests are,.. well,.. guests.

It's considered good form, but there's no law saying you HAVE to invite you parents. So regardless of relationship if a guest disrupts your wedding, you would have the right to ask them to leave, even if it was your mom.

He's getting married, presumably he knows she doesn't approve. Ok, stupid, but he invites her anyway(or maybe she just shows up?..)She disrupts the ceremony, he asks, then forces her to leave.
He is charged with disorderly conduct?

I don't get it,...

It probably because he used physical force against her. He escalated the situation most likely to physical force. If she showed up uninvited, I think she should be charged as well.

If you crash a wedding, you shouldn't walk away with fewer charges than the people who didn't want you at the wedding in the first place. That's wrong.

probably take 40 minutes to explain the back story,..
An hour and a half to explain the explanation,..
Three days to get the names of the involved parties straight.

'Probably started out with something along the lines of,"Did you hear what that little cow said about our Shelli?"

Back